Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

sysKin
0 Kudos

strange dial tone out of the blue, can't figure it out

Hi,

I recently switched my landline phone and internet to a bundle, and it *probably* activated some service I don't want.

Today, my dial tone became different - sounds like very short pulses. Moreover, my phone is displaying "1 new call(s)". I have no idea what it means by that.

So, any ideas what happened? How can I make it go away? This entire phone line is basically for my parents and it's quite critical that no "features" suddenly appear. If I can't even start guessing what happened, how can they?

In my attempts to make it go away I even registered to 101, because I was lead to believe I need to register to switch it off. As it turns out, it accepted my setup, I had no messages, and now I can't switch it off! I'm quite mad about this.

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Re: strange dial tone out of the blue, can't figure it out

[ Edited ]

Does the tone sound like any of the ones listed here: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/dial-tone-sounds

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

sysKin
0 Kudos

Ah! I did not find that FAQ entry myself. Thanks!

Anyway, it's very close to the "Stutter Dial Tone" except a bit faster.

101 still says I have no messages.

Ben_F
0 Kudos

sysKin wrote:

Could be a fault with 101... You can chat with our LiveChat team to find out if its active (and turn it off if needed) but if its off and you need to get the dialtone fixed, simply call 13 22 03 and they can fix it up for you :smileyhappy:.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

sysKin wrote:

I recently switched my landline phone and internet to a bundle, and it *probably* activated some service I don't want.

Today, my dial tone became different - sounds like very short pulses.

I'm pretty confident it's MessageBank (and not Home Messages 101). Same thing happened to me, and took me four weeks before Telstra would/could let me disable it. Very annoying.

In my attempts to make it go away I even registered to 101, because I was lead to believe I need to register to switch it off. As it turns out, it accepted my setup, I had no messages, and now I can't switch it off! I'm quite mad about this.

The only way you can disable MessageBank is to instruct Telstra to do so; there is no self-serve facility to achieve that outcome. Once they've accepted your service request, it may take a few days (from my experience) to take effect.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Occasional Contributor
allinone
0 Kudos

sysKin wrote:

Have you called your landline number and see if it rings or it gets diverted - sounds like a divert tone from your words.

If diverted just need to undivert using #21#.

Hope this works

Telstra Alumni (Retired)
TheL
0 Kudos

sysKin wrote:

Hi sysKin, 

How did we go with the suggestions provided by the helpful Crowd?

Are you able to give us an update on the situation?
If one of the suggested solutions has resolved the issue, can you please click on "Accept as Solution". 

Oh and chuck a Kudos for their efforts.:smileyhappy:

Cheers,  

Telstra Social media Team.

Need help with your account? You can Chat with us here || Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

New Contributor
jojamwil
0 Kudos

Since changing my Telstra bundle a couple of months ago, I am having constant problems with my home phone. When I call the number, most of the time it goes straight to message bank (I assume that's where it goes). When the handset at home is picked up, it either has no dial tone or it has the stutter dial tone. The display says there are new messages. Once we hear the stutter dial tone and hang up, it seems to reset itself and the phone no longer diverts

From what I have read here, it sounds like I may need messagebank turned off.

As the op didn't indicate what solved his problem, can anyone shed anymore light on this.

Happy to cancel messagebank as we don't use it.

thanks

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

Hi Jojo,

I would suggest in future that you make a new thread as it's often hard to find necro'd threads like this. If you have occasional no dial tone then your fault won't be a messagebank issue, definately report a fault either via 13 22 03 or livechat.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Telstra Employee
locomotion
0 Kudos

If you are finding that Telstra Home Messages 101 is saying there are no messages try dialling 125101 and see if you have set up your Telstra MessageBank Service.

Also if you wish to extend the ringtime when MessageBank answers simply dial *99 SECS # Enter the amount of seconds you wish for the phone to ring before MessageBank picks up up to 60 seconds. For example to extend to 45 seconds you would dial *99 45# 

To disable the service simply call 132200 and say "MessageBank" then "Turn Off" to be connected to a consultant who can arrange this for you. Or chat to the team on Facebook www.facebook.com/Telstra24x7

Whilst I am a Telstra employee, my views are my own and are not those of Telstra.
Ben_F
0 Kudos

locomotion wrote:

If you are finding that Telstra Home Messages 101 is saying there are no messages try dialling 125101 and see if you have set up your Telstra MessageBank Service.

Also if you wish to extend the ringtime when MessageBank answers simply dial *99 SECS # Enter the amount of seconds you wish for the phone to ring before MessageBank picks up up to 60 seconds. For example to extend to 45 seconds you would dial *99 45# 

To disable the service simply call 132200 and say "MessageBank" then "Turn Off" to be connected to a consultant who can arrange this for you. Or chat to the team on Facebook www.facebook.com/Telstra24x7

For faster service, use LiveChat

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
jojamwil
0 Kudos

Thanks for everyone's replies. Just thought I'd update.

i continued to suffer with this problem, with my phone constantly engaged. I even took my phone back to where I purchased it and got a new one. 

The problem still continued.

after several months and  observations, I came to the conclusion the issue was most likely with my foxtel connection as it had started after I had upgraded my iq box to iq2. I had a suspicion it was caused by the foxtel auto call and I hadn't seen one on my bill since I had upgraded.

eventually last Sunday, I decided enough was enough and used live chat. Sigh.

1. Nice live chat with Lucky. I described everything. He called me. after  talking  for a while he decided to put me through to foxtel. Took him a while. Had to chat with his supervisor and eventually I was transferred. 

2. To tbox. Don't have one of those. Sigh. Lucky signed off on live chat, wishing me well and disconnected. Now I'm with tbox and trying to explain that I don't have one.  Nice guy, forgot his name and he's now trying to transfer to foxtel.

3. Finally get transferred to foxtel. Get those god awful voice prompts. I hate those. My partner is taking great delight in showing me an episode of some show, where people are getting distressed using voice prompts. Of course with foxtel you can't talk to anyone until you go through the 5 min we're gonna reset your box 'cos that fixes everything. Then call us back. Sigh.

4. Leave in 10, call back and by this time I'm irate. Get some poor soul and I give him earful, yes I know don't shoot the messenger. Eventually he fixes the problem. I'm happy and  I sincerely apologise.

so you ask, what was the problem ?

the dufus who  installed the iq2 box, in his rush to be in and out quickly, plugged the cable from the foxtel plug in to the Ethernet port not the telephone line port. EPIC FAIL. Every time the main plug back at the telephone socket tried to auto call, it would lock up the line.

yes, if I had chosen to crawl around the back of my setup and pull out plugs etc, I most likely would have worked this out. But why should I have to ?

final question, since this is all part of a bundle, why do I have to pay for the two auto calls each month ? Should be part of the included calls. 

Frequent Visitor
longvale
0 Kudos

Wanted initially to get rid of the stutter dial tone on my handset. Thought it was interference from a bad connection. Find out it is an alert to call messagebank to retrieve caller messages..  NOW I know how to tell whether I have a message to call 101 or not!!  Duh!!

Re the thread on extending the time before messagebank answers an incoming call.. I tried *99 (SEC)# but this only turned on the  "Call Forward No Answer" feature. To turn this off requires dialling #61# .. go figure?

Anyway now I know my stutter tone is telling me to call 101 so I'll be satisfied with that for now.

Any comments on my *99 thread experience?