Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

ottarub
0 Kudos

Question about Telstra Internet speeds.

Hi

I'm currently with TPG (been with them 5 years, never had a problem) on an ADSL2+ plan with advertised max rate of up to 20Mbps. Ive never really understood the speeds as Ive always had between 0.8Mbps up to 1.2Mbps and thought it was good until I went to my sisters place who is with Telstra and was having speeds of 6.6Mbps! So now Im feeling ripped off and want faster speeds! I am 2.5k's from my local Telstra exchange (3029) and have a wireless (currently cabled) modem(150Mbps). Use it on two computers (Xp and 7) but have the same speeds so I know its not the problem. I have taken the speed test :- 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1987322440.png

and the pingtest shows I have a good line.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/63903625.png

Anyway....my question is if I were to change to Telstra (looking at Elite T-Bundle plan) is there anyway of knowing beforehand that I will have faster speeds or is it just I live in an area where Im never going to have faster internet? 

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
jefsims
0 Kudos

Re: Question about Telstra Internet speeds.

Hello,

I don't trust SPEEDTEST.NET for accurate testing at the best of times. It's a half decent guide but thats about it. You need to go to www.bigpond.com and use the "Registration tool" which would tell you what you are eligable for.

Remembering that the phone line conditions WILL NOT change between ISP to ISP.

Jeff

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Agree with Jefsims, I would suggest also checking and posting your modem stats here so we can see if the speed is reflective of your line or congestion in the TPG network.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

ottarub wrote:
my question is if I were to change to Telstra (looking at Elite T-Bundle plan) is there anyway of knowing beforehand that I will have faster speeds…
There is no way to determine with certainty (which is how I've interpreted your use of “knowing”) beforehand.

… or is it just I live in an area where Im never going to have faster internet?
Never say never, when ADSL (inclusive of ADSL2+) is not the be all and end all of Internet access technology that is, or will be, available. Mobile broadband over the 3G and/or LTE network(s) may already be delivering faster network speeds (than what you've quoted) to some of your neighbours; then, there is the NBN, which promises to one day deliver high-speed ‘wired’ broadband to 93% of the population, and I'm confident postcode 3029 will be within that coverage.
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.