Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Occasional Contributor
jjcoolaus
0 Kudos

The Future of MOG

Can somebody at Telstra please enlighten the increasingly frustrated users of MOG on Telstra what is happening with this service?

"MOG is experiencing temporary connection problems" is something I see on my screen everytime I use the app, often multiple times per session. Skipping to the next track half way through, dropping out playback all together, and not being able to play songs in a playlist are everday occurrences on MOG for Android.

The fact is the MOG brand has now been sold to Beats (the Dr Dre/headphone company) and US MOG subscribers have already been redirected to the "beatsmusic.com" service.

Will Australian MOG users be migrated to Beats? When will this occur? When it does occur, will the data still be unmetered?

With no facts forthcoming from anyone at Telstra, all the public have to go on is rumours.

The latest rumours are that the Australian MOG partnership with Telstra will remain in place as is, with it's almost useless android app, for the foreseeable future. If this is true, telstra are only going to see more, not less, angry customers migrate off the service as they can get far better value elsewhere, even after taking the data use into account.

Can somebody at Telstra please let us know what is happening with MOG for android. If telstra are keeping the MOG brand, is Telstra going to committ any resources to re-writing the android application to fix it's issues and add basic features (like the ability to save and edit playlists) that it should have had all along?

Or is Telstra going to consider partnering with another service for unmetered data (like google all access or spotify)? (I don't seriously expect this last question to answer, but it costs nothing to ask)

Please let us know what is happening. Silence is not what customers want to hear from a communications company.

Regards

Jason (frustrated MOG user looking into other options)

Telstra Thought Leader
ryank

Re: The Future of MOG

[ Edited ]

Jason - thanks for your note regarding MOG and I am sorry that you have had such a bad experience on Android. A few comments and thoughts for you to hopefully assist in your note below - 

- Beats Music will launch in the US in a few weeks time and only be available in that country.

- Beats Music will eventually replace MOG as a product, we are likely to launch Beats later this year (pre June 30) and will be the 2nd country in the world to do so. There is a lot of work which is required with technology/legal/product/content which is ongoing to make the service the best possible experience for Australians and not just a direct copy of what is available in the US. We will certainly be looking after our current MOG subscribers!

-  As with any new product and partnerships there are many things which need to remain confidential until the appropriate timing is right, but we expect to have an outstanding offer in market with Beats Music and we believe it will be the best music streaming product in the market.

- In terms of your specific Android issues w/ MOG have you reached out to MOG customer support on these as we have thousands of Android users who do not have similar problems - the music team @ Telstra would be happy to help with these issues. 

-Re playlist creation - agree it would be nice to have on the android phone app for MOG, but this will not change, however, playlist creation is available online and via tablet app for MOG. Playlist creation on your phone is part of Beats Music.

I have been Android user since day 1 w/ MOG and I also am the product owner in Australia, so while I feel some of your frustration about the lack of the ongoing development I must acknowledge that my overall experience with MOG has been outstanding and that I use it all the time.

**Update**

We're working closely with Beats Music to bring the Beats service to our customers as soon as we can. The date quoted above was an estimate however we have gone past this. Once we have a firmer date, we will let our customers know.

Established Member
__dontpanic__
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed response. Very much looking forward to the launch of the new service.

Is there any chance that you could confirm whether the Beats service will:

1) Remain unmetered for Telstra customers

2) Offer the same level of streaming audio quality as MOG (i.e. 320kbps)?

Cheers,
Steve.
abz
abz
0 Kudos

Hey ryank,

I don't mean to be seen as cynical here but how are we to know that you represent Telstra?

I truly hope that the information you have provided is truthful, however, you do not appear to be a member of the crowdsupport team by your descriptor and also that you only registered on crowdsupport last Tuesday!

I really enjoy MOG, especially due to it's unmetered benefit and would welcome the 'Beats Music' transition... I just would like an official confirmation that this breakdown is indeed "official".

Cheers.

abz
abz
0 Kudos

PS: This is what a legitimate Telstra employee looks like on crowdsupport - http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/202

or a moderator - http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/634

Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

Its good to be cautious of where information is coming from, abz, but I can confirm that ryank is a staff member and more than that he is a manager in our entertainment group so you can take what he has written as correct as of the time of writing.

As a very new member his profile has not yet been updated with an official tag but it will be soon.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
abz
abz
0 Kudos

Thanks Dan,

Champ. I only wanted the official facts and it's clear now that ryank is legit... so all good.

Thanks ryank for the heads up... bring on the transition then :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Sean

New Contributor
Lyon
0 Kudos

"bring on the transition then"

Assuming we have access to the same songs (or more), can use our Prepaid credit to subscribe, and unmetered, maybe it's a bit too early for that enthusiasm :smileyvery-happy:

eason
0 Kudos

hey ryan,

-just wondering how dose the transition of mog to beat music so far?

-is beats music gonna be a better service than mog?if so , how ?

by saying "to make the service the best possible experience for Australians and not just a direct copy of what is available in the US. We will certainly be looking after our current MOG subscribers!", can you elaborate more on it?

coz i am seriously thinking of switching the mog to somewhere else, i am not sure if i should wait for the beats music

to come out...

i really look forward to some more information !

a wondering customer of mog,

eason

Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

Not sure if we have much more to share at this stage, eason. I will make sure that your comments and feedback are received by Ryan and his team.

RichardMcC
0 Kudos

Hey Guys. I just want to add to the comments regarding MOG. I mainly use the service on my PC and as I am mainly a Linux user I use the Web Player. Unfortunately it is virtually unusable for playlists as it keeps hanging on songs. There is no way that I could set it going and have more than 1/2 hour of interrupted playback. I have been in touch with MOG support and while I get some polite replies I am not getting any real answers to the problem.

Surely, it is not too difficult to write some code into the application to automatically skip to the next song after about 15 seconds if it can't play a particular song.  I want to stay with MOG for the quality of the streaming and unmetered usage, but it is getting to the point where I am paying for a service that I can't use.

I set up a free Spotify account to try it out and it runs perfectly.  I have to put up with an ad every few songs, but that is less annoying than having to go to the PC all the time to manually skip songs that have hung up. The same thing occurs with the MOG windows client as well.

Very frustrating

Richard

RichardMcC
0 Kudos

As a follow up to my previous post. I have had no further feedback from MOG support or any advice as to how to fix the issues I am having. Unless BEATS is going to turn up in the next few weeks, I am at the point where I am going to give up on MOG as I am paying for a service that is completely useless both via the Web Player and now the native Windows app.

Surely I am not the only one having issues with playlists and Favourites constantly hanging on songs that it can't find or play.  This should be pretty simple stuff to fix, but it seems that no one is particularly interested.

Please advise when Beats will be available so I can trial it before moving to a Premium Spotify account.

Cheers

Richard.

Esther
0 Kudos

We're very excited about the launch of Beats Music in Australia. The service has already taken the U.S. by storm and we cannot wait to introduce the innovative and compelling ways Beats Music will deliver streaming music to Australians.

MOG will absolutely continue to operate as normal in the lead up and for a period of time after we launch Beats Music. We are looking forward to inviting you to try the Beats Music service and there are a numbers of ideas being developed to make the transition as easy as possible for current users of MOG. As plans become finalised we will share them with our MOG family.

Not long now!

Esther
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

sardonic
0 Kudos

Any update on the Telsta launch?
New Contributor
Brtn13

I have to agree with Richard, we are all paying for a very bugged service that is no longer supported and it is driving me nuts! If it was not for the excess data usage I would have been on Google Play months ago!

Come on guys! Pull finger and get this happening! 

Also I think it might be a nice gesture to provide the first 3 months free of charge because most subscribers have hung in there with current unsupported buggie MOG player. Just saying............ 

Established Member
__dontpanic__
0 Kudos

Now it looks like Apple want to buy Beats... What does this mean for Android users? Can Telstra guarantee that Beats is definitely coming? I'm getting increasingly fed up with the constant delays and uncertainty.
Tugg_Speedman
0 Kudos

I have the same concerns as __dontpanic__. What does the potential Apple purchase mean for Telstra's Android customers? Apple aren't exactly know for sharing software with other platforms , and even if they do decide to make the service available for Android I fear that the app would be under developed in much the same way as the current MOG app for Android. Either way it's not looking good for the non iSheep among us.

Let's face it though, if Spotify or Google Play Music were unmetered too, then MOG/Beats/Apple would not even be in the discussion.

IvanS

Hi everyone, 

Have requested a follow up on this, to see if there is any information that has been announced at this stage. 

Ivan

Ivan

Established Member
Armygeddon
0 Kudos

Thanks Ivan..hopefully we get some resolve soon..it's been 4 months waiting for a announcement of a promised bigger better service. If we don't get one soon I feel like we've all been suckered into sticking around only for Telstra's sake as they continue to take our money.

Matt
ddgfx
0 Kudos

Another disgruntled MOG customer here.

The Android app has stopped functioning properly on all the new KitKat 4.4 phones that Telstra offer (eg. Nexus 5).

No cover art, buggy playback and horrible radio glitches that leave 3 songs playing on rotation. No one is actively developing the app it seems, looking at all the 1 star ratings online.

So far, since the Beats music launch in the US I've been paying ~$40 for a service that is no longer supported by anyone at Beats - or by Bigpond Music for that matter, judging by their lack of response to my attempts to get help.

If Beats doesn't arrive soon I won't be paying another month waiting for an announcement.

sardonic
0 Kudos

Any updates Ivan?
Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

We have had a chat to the BigPond Music team and plans are still underway to release Beats in the coming months as per the information that RyanK provided earlier this year.

As far as the Apple purchase is concerned my understanding is it has not actually been confirmed officially by either company. We will update our MOG customers when we have information to share.

Occasional Visitor
filbo85
0 Kudos

Is there a plan b if beats joins apple. This makes it even more difficult for android users
Established Member
__dontpanic__
0 Kudos

Coming MONTHS? Jeezus.... This is ridiculous. The MOG app barely works these days. Half the albums have disappeared, the album art doesn't work AT ALL, it's still pretty buggy and there's no update coming as far as I can tell.

We've been waiting months as it is, forking over our money month after month. I'm getting pretty fed up. Once my contract is up I'm going to seriously look at the alternatives out there - Vodafone seem to have pretty good data caps which would more than offset the unmetered data usage offered for this barely usable app.

ddgfx
0 Kudos

"Coming MONTHS? Jeezus.... This is ridiculous."

RyanK specifically mentions pre-June 30 for a Beats launch, which is a month away rather than the plural "months" (which has me rather concerned that we won't see this happen until Xmas or maybe 2015)

I really hope Telstra doesn't break their promise on this. If so I am going straight to Spotify for good as many other Telstra customers I know will be doing. Listen to your customers Telstra and don't let them down.

Rack73
0 Kudos

I have just been investigating MOG over the last couple of hours and I'm trying to decide if I should subscribe or wait until the launch of Beats? From the comments in GooglePlay and online, MOG sounds out of date and unsupported, but I am keen to have a streaming service that doesn't cost me in the DL space. 

Can someone provide me with some info or a suggestion as to what is happening with MOG so that I can either dl or look at other options.

Cheers

Established Member
__dontpanic__
0 Kudos

It works, but not particularly well compared to the competition.

On Android, album art no longer shows up and the app is a bit buggy. New music is being added, but I have noticed some older albums disappear (this may be due to unrelated lisencing deals though). It's REALLY lacking in terms of music discovery, playlist sharing, social integration, etc...

If you plan on listening to a LOT of music while on 4G it may still be worth getting - the unmetred data takes a lot of the worry out of things and frees your data up for other purposes.

However, if you don't plan on listening to too much stuff on 4G or intend to pre-cache your music whilst on Wi-Fi, then it might be worth taking a look at the competition while you wait for Telstra and Beats to get their act together.

sardonic
0 Kudos

All for what its worth I raised an issue with mog support regarding the loss of album art. Here is the response received..

Thanks for contacting us. I have done some testing on it also. It appears to be an issue only with Android devices. Apple devices can see the art work. I will notify the team to help figure out the problem and fix it.

Thank,

Tim
Beats Music Advanced Support

Has anyone else raised an issue and received the same response? Might be from script and nothing done until beats transition in aus.

Since we're paying we should have the app functioning as expected
Rack73
0 Kudos

I'm trying it free for two weeks and then a couple of days beforehand I will re-evaluate (I have until the 9th June). I downloaded some songs the other day and I found most of the songs I wanted, but not all.  

There's no playlists on android which is a bit annoying and I am hoping when (if) they convert to Beats music, that will be an option. I have been looking at other streaming music apps to see if they are as good. I don't mind paying for a streaming service, as long as it works and I can pretty much DL any song I want.

Thanks _dontpanic_, for your advice, it did actually help.

SVans
0 Kudos

Ok so now it's official. Apple will buy beats.

How will this effect the release. We've been waiting a long time for an android update.

June 30th seems unlikely now. So when can we expect an update?
Established Member
Armygeddon
0 Kudos

It's clear there will be no outcome in the near future.... It's official Apple has purchased beats. Follow my lead if it matters and cancel your subscription.
Greg_Buch
0 Kudos

We’re looking forward to understanding the full details an implications in due course and will work with Beats on this. MOG will continue to run as normal at this stage, and we'll keep everyone updated as we receive more information. 

Greg

supasquirel
0 Kudos

That's great. What about people who have switched recently to Windows Phone? As I'm sure you're aware, Mog hasn't developed a WP app. I'm paying for a service I can't use & quite frankly am sick of waiting. How can nobody have any informatiom? It's been months!

New Contributor
Brtn13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Greg_Buch

That's the problem, MOG doesn't run normal anymore.
It would be great if Beats is still coming to town. But that is looking more unlikely each day now, quote: "over the coming months". Maybe it's time to jump in bed with Google and Play music as well, two music services works for me! At least we can bill it directly to our Telstra bills each month and its cheaper :-) and works :-)

jdwango12
0 Kudos

OK, its the first of June, and it looks like the web player is dead now. Can anyone else confirm? Does anyone know anything more about Beats?

youse995
0 Kudos

Web player is working fine for me.

Rack73

@Brtn13 - that's what I want, something I can directly bill to my telstra bill
ddgfx

[ Edited ]

Today's the day I'm cancelling my MOG subscription. I can no longer suffer the complete lack of support that has been demonstrated for Android users for the past 6+ months while we waited for Beats to launch. I can no longer justify spending $10+ a month on a service that frankly doesn't work properly and isn't maintained by anyone. Telstra, either shut it down completely or partner with another service that can deliver music properly - stop robbing your customers with a sub-par offering.

I'm sure there are plenty of others feeling the same way now its seems Beats + Telstra seems like a distant dream. I might come back when / if Beats launches, then again I might not. So long and thanks for all the fish...

JulesD
0 Kudos

MOG Is Dead, Corpse Now Points To Its Acquirer Beats

techcrunch.com/2014/06/01/mog-is-dead/

With no word from TLS thats pretty bad...

New Contributor
Brtn13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And This too.......

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/06/mog-music-streaming-is-finally-dead-or-is-it/ 

Update: Telstra’s response about MOG and Beats is as follows —

We’re looking forward to understanding the detail in due course and will work with Beats on this.

Of course we will let our customers know more information when we know more.

MOG will continue to run as normal at this stage.

Ok time to bring on a deal with Google Play Music guys, come on! 

Johno99
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Maybe I'm missing something, as there's not been public uproar that I can find... either that or I overestimate the AU userbase...

I have a subscription to MOG, last charged by Telstra 27th May to take me through to 26th June. So this implies the service should continue past the US switch-off date of 31st May.

MOG website appears to be dead (redirecting to the "MOG is now Beats" page). (Or to be accurate, au.mog.au is live, but when you try and log on it obviously tries to do something with the US site which then says MOG's dead.)

MOG app on Mac is dead (redirecting to the "MOG is now Beats" page); fairly obviously a site-bound browser.

iPhone still seems to be working, and streaming music, but I've not tried logging off and on again in case it's being blocked at the login stage.

So do we no longer have a web-based MOG service in Australia?

Angela_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Johno99,

The MOG service in Australia will continue to run as normal at this stage.

Of course we will let our customers know more information when we know more.

Angela

Johno99
0 Kudos

Thanks Angela,

So the browser-based player should still work...?  Because logging in on au.mog.com redirects to the "MOG is now Beats" page, preventing access to the player.

Many thanks,

John

Angela_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Johno99,

All the same access methods are available. To double check you have everything set up correctly the facts are here http://au.mog.com/?s_kwcid=TC|18379|%2Bmog||S|b|44947371965#!where

Angela

Angela

Established Member
Armygeddon
0 Kudos

My god this is poor service.... I've already cancelled but still following because it will be interesting to see how long Telstra plays the we don't know anything card and continues to such money out of its customers. MOG should be free until resolved. Actually for those interested when you cancel you get a free 30 day access just for answering a few questions..why you cancelled etc.
Johno99
0 Kudos

Armygeddon wrote:
My god this is poor service.... I've already cancelled but still following because it will be interesting to see how long Telstra plays the we don't know anything card and continues to such money out of its customers. MOG should be free until resolved. Actually for those interested when you cancel you get a free 30 day access just for answering a few questions..why you cancelled etc.

Mmm, wouldn't be so hasty to blame Telstra, but I'm experiencing weird problems, which coincided with the US switch-off.  Can't correlate that as the cause for certain.  Could be a PICNIK problem...

On a Mac, either on work's guest network or tethered to Telstra mobile:

Safari - doesn't work (redirects to the "Mog is Beats" page, I guess intended for the US audience)

Firefox - ditto

Mac native App (which is little more than a site-bound browser I reckon) - ditto

In a Win8.1 VM on the Mac (network shared, so exiting as if from Mac):

IE 11 - Ditto

Fiefox - Ditto

On work Win7 (same network exit point as guest network):

IE8 - works.

Chrome 35 - works

All end up on the address "mog.com/m"

So the best I can say is it's something about the Mac, and the website is... thinking I'm in the US!?  Will keep on investigating...

Regular Visitor
owenv
0 Kudos

So,

do we have a workaround yet for those of us not using Bigpond and running windows 8.1

Frequent Visitor
RevDrGK
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can no longer log on to Mog via the website or the app. Both redirect me to a trial of Beats.

I'm assuming this has nothing to do with the way things are set up because I don't even have the option of logging in.

What should I do?

RayAll
0 Kudos

Anyone at Telstra has the courtesy to inform their subscribers. Improved customer support, big fail.

I was even billed yesterday for a non-existing service. Effectively they cancelled my account to prevent I get billed again and now I need to try to get my money back. 

So now what happens when I want to transfer to Beats when that becomes available. My playlists are all gone?

Is it really so hard for anyone at Telstra responsible for the MOG service to send an email to everyone.

Whoever is responisble at Telstra for the MOG service should be sacked in my opinion. The best way to piss your customers off is to not inform them directly. Updates via crowdsouricing is the wrong media.

Crowdsourcing is such a wrong platform for helping customers. 

Crowdsourcing is about people talking about you and not with you. But I think many organisations need to wake up to that little tidbit of info.

MOG-USER
0 Kudos

like everyone else I have no service.

I'm still be billed but that ok becuase I'm still be sent emails with the "MOG new releases"?!?!?!

What the ?????