Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

ed
ed
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

4G Modem Routers

Hi,

Since Telstra dosent have a G Modem Routers with Ethernet LAN

Can you use a 4G Modem Routers like the Netcomm 4G100W with a 4G sim card to connect to wireless Bigpond?

Thanks

Ed

Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

Re: 4G Modem Routers

No. As far as I'm aware, each BigPond Mobile Broadband service has to be associated with a BigPond supplied modem (or modem/router or gateway) device, and will only function when these are used together.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
ed
ed
0 Kudos

this is dissapointing, as i would like 4g/lte but reqiuire LAN

is there anything supported / suggested?

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

not sure if it has been done yet but I believe they were working on a firmware update for the Telstra home gateway product to support the 4G USB modem, that would do what you want when/if available
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
New Contributor
scitech
0 Kudos

There is a Wifi router available in Telstra shop that is Wireless and has one ethernet port which you can attach to an ethernet switch , It has a USB port in the top and it supports the latest 4G modem. Sorry I don't remember the model number I set one up for a client on the weekend for his DVR.

I have also has success with a TPlink 4 port wireless router that unofficially supports the 4G modem it is TL-MR3420

The same question has been asked a number of times in the forum already.

dotcomau
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Drat wrote:

No. As far as I'm aware, each BigPond Mobile Broadband service has to be associated with a BigPond supplied modem (or modem/router or gateway) device, and will only function when these are used together.

This doesn't appear to be the case. I asked same question of Telstra Business rep last week and, whilst waiting for an answer (which I still don't have), did some research.

On whirlpool I discovered this thread http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1784465 re Dovado Tiny LTE router (or goto Dovado webpage http://www.dovado.com/ ) and there are others on the market (see below & google it).

If someone finds a compatable 4G print server router please let me know

Rgds Dotcomau,

If you like my post please feed me some Kudos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you noticed that Common Sense isn't that common anymore !!!
Community Leader
Drat
0 Kudos

dotcomau wrote:

This doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks. If I correctly understand what I read, the Dovado device in question is not a modem router that takes a (BigPond) SIM card to connect to the LTE network, but…

• Connects to the mobile Internet via a USB modem.

That means it still relies on (the SIM for) the BigPond Mobile Broadband service working in conjunction with the associated BigPond supplied modem, in order to work; all you'd be doing is adding a router device, as opposed to using a replacement (all-in-one) modem router device – with reference to the O.P.'s specific question and proffered example (the Netcomm 4G100W) – that will take the BigPond SIM and directly connect to the Next G network.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
dotcomau

[ Edited ]
Drate wrote:

Thanks. If I correctly understand what I read, the Dovado device in question is not a modem router that takes a (BigPond) SIM card to connect to the LTE network, but…

• Connects to the mobile Internet via a USB modem.

That means it still relies on (the SIM for) the BigPond Mobile Broadband service working in conjunction with the associated BigPond supplied modem, in order to work; all you'd be doing is adding a router device, as opposed to using a replacement (all-in-one) modem router device – with reference to the O.P.'s specific question and proffered example (the Netcomm 4G100W) – that will take the BigPond SIM and directly connect to the Next G network.

Apologies Drat, I stand corrected. I am a techno neophyte and am looking at using the Bigpond Modem with a compatable 4G N router / USB printer server (2 ports)  / gigabyte lan (2ports) so I can use the same modem whilst mobile and at SOHO. Any suggestions, Telstra or other?   

Rgds Dotcomau,

If you like my post please feed me some Kudos

Have you noticed that Common Sense isn't that common anymore !!!
fairdinkum
0 Kudos

Thanxs scitech, after being told this modem wont work and to buy a new 'telstra' branded one your info is a relief....But...
how do you set this up for 4g usb modem ? previously had a 3g usb modem installed.
I didnt want to buy another router after only having this for 6mths, bought especially for the 3g telstra modem.
Any links would be greatly appreciated.
indiabohanna
0 Kudos

I have just purchased a DLink DWR-113 router to make my Telstra 4G usb (320U) wireless. I cannot get it to work. When it's plugged in to the router the blue light is on and the green light is flashing. I can connect wirelessly to the router, but the internet won't connect. I've tried to automatically and manually connect using the dlink router setup, but nothing is working. I think it's something to do with the usb settings. Please help.

sparker1663
0 Kudos

I am not sure about the setup on the DLink, but I did manage to get my TPLink MR3240 working with the 320U usb device last night. Although, it is only connecting via 3g (but that's all I was getting when directly connected to the laptop as well).

Sounds as if your modem settings in the router are not correct. Have you got the correct APN (think it should be telstra.bigpond) correct dial number (think it should be *99#) and have you put your username and password in? Once I had all of that right, my router had no issues (well so far, its only been about 12 hours!!!)

Sam

sparker1663
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Can confirm that the very cheap and feature packed TP Link MR3420 router works with the 320U bigpond modem and can connect at 4G speeds. For $50 or less, this router has a heap of features, 4 lan ports, 1 wan port, lots of firewall, ddns options, port forwarding, etc.

Highly recommend!

Sam

Occasional Collector
lemon
0 Kudos

I was interested in the DLink DWR-113 also. Did you get it working with the Sierra Wireless 320?

The compatibility list says it works with the ZTE MF821 on LTE and many Mobile Phones.

But its only 802.11 N Lite at 150Mbps and the data sheet does not mention anything about Bridge mode so I assume it cant be used in Bridge/Client/Server modes.

New Contributor
Skf4
0 Kudos

This works perfectly - even though it is labelled 3G, they have a 4G model: Cradlepoint MBR95 Wireless N Home Router w/ WiFi as WAN

Firmware 3.6.3

Link: http://3gstore.com/product/3029_cradlepoint_mbr95.html

New Contributor
Skf4
0 Kudos

Ben,

All codes sent, I apologise for the delay. The 4G Network is giving us issues. We had the Telstra Team escalate our matter to level 3 {I think thats what they call it} and they found certain towers needed to be attended to. This will be done October 15th.

Sk

Occasional Visitor
lindtg
0 Kudos

Hi Sam

I also have a TPLink MR3420 and have tried numerous times to setup my Telstra $G dongle with it. The router finds the device but then drops it and then finds it again, repeated cycle. What version of w is your TPLink on? Also interested to hear if this is still working for you a month on.
sparker1663
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes - mine did this at first too. I cant remember exactly what I did to fix it, but it was something to do with removing it from the laptop in the "correct" state. When you first put it into the laptop, its in install state or something like that. If it tried to self install in the TPLINK, it will fail. Have bit of a search online about this and see if you can make sense of it. Also, just try hooking it up to your laptop and removing it at various stages to try in the router.
Goodluck!
Sam
Visitor
pipercrime
0 Kudos

Occasional Collector
lemon
0 Kudos

Just one thing to be aware of, is that the robustel-w800 , According to the specs, wont support Telstra WCDMA 850. So wont fall back to 3G on telstra. But fine if you only want 4G.

Oenophile
0 Kudos

Setting up my Bigpond AC760 4G MODEM  for the Dovado Pro 4g router I am prompted for my modem sim card pin number and I have no idea where to find it, can you help.

Dani39
0 Kudos

Hi Oenophile,

If you chat with our tech team at: http://tel.st/gq6m, they can assist in setting up your modem and providing you with the required information.

24x7 Digital Customer Care Team
NailByter
0 Kudos

Oenophile,

What was the solution to finding the PIN?

Tks