Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Established Member
MikeGale
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

4G USB Mobile Modem with WiFi and Broadband Connection Manager

I have activated a prepaid account with a Huawei E8278 device.  i.e.  4G USB + WiFi.

The device connects automatically and gives me access via the web server used to manage it.

I also see reference to a "Broadband Connection Manager".

This didn't install automatically from the device.  I have installed it from download but it doesn't detect the device.

Does the connection manager work with that device?

If so, how do I tell it to discover the USB modem?

Thanks.

PeppercornMedly

Re: 4G USB Mobile Modem with WiFi and Broadband Connection Manager

[ Edited ]

If you are using a portable WiFi hotspot, you don't need connection manager software. You can configure your device from http://telstra.4g/

EDIT: Some people say that http://telstra.wifi.4g/ may work too

Established Member
MikeGale
0 Kudos

Hi PeppercornMedly

Thanks for that.

The device can be used as a WiFi hub, but I have that off currently.  It's only driving the device it's plugged into.

I tried those two URL's you gave (via a landline connection, if that matters).  Neither worked.

The main thrust of my question is whether the connection manager is intended to be used with the 4G USB + WiFi device.  If it is how do I get the software to see the device.
Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,

I don't work with the Pre-Paid devices, but I had a look on our database for this model and I found that the modem interface can be accessed via http://192.168.1.1 with the login and password both being: admin

Hope this helps

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
Established Member
MikeGale
0 Kudos

Hi Shelley,

Thanks for that.

Yep I'm using the browser accessed, interface built into the device.  (Served up by a web server in there.)

My understanding is that there's meant to be another interface.  This is a desktop program that shows up in the normal way, not via a web browser.  (Behind the scenes it must use an API to "talk" to the device.)

A bit more detail, including my latest tests a few minutes ago.

I've loaded up the Connection Manager several times.  Installed both with no command line option  and the -a switch.  No difference noted.

There's a hidden diagnostic facility activated through shift-options.

I've looked at that and enabled verbose logging.

That gives something like:

Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband: ...\TelstraUCM.exe (3.8.11219)
Tray icon is needed, showing.
CWinMBAPI::CWinMBAPI - MBAPI successfully initialised.
CWinMBAPI::smileyfrustrated:tart - creating sinks.
CWinMBAPI::smileyfrustrated:tart - querying interfaces.
CWinMBAPI::queryInterfaces: GetInterfaces failed; hr=80070426
CM_Thread::InitInstance: server thread is starting.
Opening status window.
DC_ZTE:FindAndEject.
CM_HardwareDetect::smileyfrustrated:tart starts.
CM_HardwareDetect::smileyfrustrated:tart ends.
DC_ZTE:FindAndEject.
DC_Sierra:FindAndEject.
DC_Sierra: device lost (OnSierraDeviceChange)
CStatusPanel.ShowPresentationState: Status: Initialising...
CStatusPanel.ShowPresentationState: Status: Initialising...
CStatusPanel.ShowPresentationState: Status: No mobile device
CNotifyPanel.ShowNotify: Unable to detect your Mobile Broadband device

Time and thread info.  stripped out.  Up to point in a start of the program where is says "can't find your device".

I have no detail at all on how this program runs, but note that it appears to attempt to find both ZTE and Sierra devices but not Huawei.  That's suggestive.

There is a Telstra document (PDF) about compatible devices.  It list comptibles and incompatibles, with a little image of each.  No mention of this device,  however it does say "and all later devices" near the beginning, suggesting it is always up to date with latest releases.

Anybody know more about this.  Does the Connection Manager work with the device or not?

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra

[ Edited ]

Sorry Mike, I should have clarified on this point.

There is no connection manager to work with this device. In fact it refers to the modem interface http://192.168.1.1 as the connection manager.

Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

Established Member
MikeGale
0 Kudos

Thanks Shelly.

You're saying that other devices have the connection manager listed, but not this one.  That's fairly clear cut.  No specific statement that it is not supported, but strong enough indirect evidence for me.

If you have contact with those who write the materials that customers get to see:

1)  Welcome letters

2)  Web site content

3)  The printed docs.

4)  The PDF describing what the Conn. Mngr. works with.

5)  etc.

Can you suggest that this point is explicitly mentioned?

That would save others trying to get the desktop interface working, from wasting time.

I'll uninstall for the last time.

Thanks.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,

I can pass this feed back along, but you will be happy to hear that Crowd Support is linked to the Telstra/BigPond Help and FAQs.

Also, as you marked this post as resolved, it will help other customers to find this answer if they have the same query.