Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

jfi
Established Member
jfi
0 Kudos

4g wifi - problem with iphone constantly connecting & disconnecting

I have just fired up my new 4g wifi modem after heaps of problems with 2 x sierra wirelss 3g modems. This one is working much better with less drop outs. I have two laptops connected which work of it ok but I am having trouble with my Iphone(3G).When I first connected it I am sure it was ok but now it tries to connect every couple of seconds but fails to talk to the modem. When I first connected the iphone I used the password to connect it. I have reset the modem to factory defaults and restarted the iphone a couple of times but it is still failing to connect to the modem? Any assistance would be appreciated

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Re: 4g wifi - problem with iphone constantly connecting & disconnecting

Hello jfi,

Thanks for your post regarding the issues you've been having with your iPhone 3GS phone having issues connecting to your 4G wi-fi modem.

I understand that your other laptops don't have any issues connecting to this so I can only assume that the issue is with the iPhone handset itself.

Do you have the latest software update at all for your iPhone 3GS? If not, please update to latest software and try again. 

Do you have problems with this iPhone 3GS if you try to connect to other wi-fi connection?

Please keep us updated on how you are going with this. Thank you.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
jfi
Established Member
jfi
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

The iphone is a 3G and has the lastest software available for it. My previous modem was a bigpond ultimate 3g and the iphone worked fine with that. It is only the new 4g modem that it wont work with.When I go into "settings" in the iphone , the information in the "WiFi " tab cycles from "not connected" to "WiFi 4G-B650" every 1/2 second. I just wanted to make sure there were no advanced settings that needed to be checked in the modem before I followed up with Apple on the iphone. It has only been since I changed modems that this happened.

John

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi again jfi,

Have you tried deleting the current wi-fi settings on your iPhone and settting it up again? The reason for this is that you've mentioned you've done a factory reset of the modem. Please connect to the 4G wi-fi modem with the SSID and security key as displayed on the device screen.

If you still have any issues, please contact our BigPond Technical Support Team directly on 133 933 anytime as they are available 24/7.

Please let us know how you go with this.

With kind regards,

jfi
Established Member
jfi
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Yes, I have re done the settings with no luck. I am currently at my sons place who has bigpond ADSL with Thompson TG782T modem. The iphone connects to it and work on it fine. I am sure it is an issue with the new 4g Modem.

John

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hello John,

Thanks for your response and I can understand that you've done extra tests at your son's place and your iPhone connectins to his modem and works fine.

If the issue is in fact with the modem and if it's still under contract, then I recommend to contact our BigPond Technical Support Team on 139 333. They are available 24/7 to run through diagnostics with you and can replace non-working modem free of charge under warranty.

Please let me know how you go so I can follow up as necessary. Thank you.

With kind regards,

jfi
Established Member
jfi
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Well I bit the bullet today and made another call to Tech support asking for an aussie operator this time. I got a bloke called John, alias probably. Anyway he spent 30 mins on the phone with me changing settings in the Advanced tab. After all the changes, the problem still persisted so he advised me the Iphone 3g was probably not compatable with the 4g modem but could not say for sure. I asked if he could follow up with Sierra Wirelsss and he said bigpond did not do that. Great customer service ???? His only solution was to try a later model iphone with the modem, great, i dont have a later model to try. This 4g modem is only 4 weeks old. Surely someone at Bigpond would be able to contact Sierra wireless to get an answer ?

Regards

John

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thanks for your update and I'm sorry my response is late as I've been away sick.

I understand that you've contacted technical support again and have not been able to get any confirmation if your iPhone 3G phone is compatible with the 4G modem.

I will certainly get confirmation for you regarding compatibility. Could you pleae confirm make and model of the device so I can confirm with Sierra Wireless?

In the meantime, could you please make sure that you have latest software update for your iPhone 3GS phone either by connecting to latest iTunes software or via Settings Menu on the handset. Thank you.

With kind regards,

andym_lloyd
0 Kudos

Joe

I have the same problem.

I have three iphones and and Ipad none of which will connect properly to my new 4G wifi modem.  My laptop conects OK so I know the moden works.     Each of the iphones and ipad will connect fine to my pre-paid 3G wifi modem, and their operating systems are up to date.

has a solution been found to this issue please?

Andy   

jfi
Established Member
jfi
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Iphone is a 3g and has the latest software version 4.2.1 

WiFi Modem is a bigpond 4G-B650.   Sierra wireless Model AC760S

Regards

John

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hello jfi and all,

Thanks for all your comments and updates.

I'd recommend at this stage to visit your local Telstra store's Tech Bar and make an appointment to see a technician there so they can run through some troubleshooting tips with you and find a solution to this issue.

Bring all your devices with you if you can including your 4G Wi-Fi device for testing purposes.

It just seems really weird that you've been unable to connect your devices to the 4G Wi-Fi device as we've not had any information or update regarding incompatibility of the 4G Wi-Fi device with iPhone/iPad devices.

Please keep us updated on how you are going with this so I can follow up if required. Thank you.

With kind regards,

jfi
Established Member
jfi
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

I went to the tech bar. The service guy re entered the securty code and now all is ok. It was as simple as re entering the code. No idea why it didnt work correctly the first time as the 1st code was correct ???

John

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi again John,

Thanks for your update and I'm glad that tech bar has been able to assist you in entering the security code which has now fixed this issue.

I'm not absolutely sure why it wasn't working the first time when you entered the code correctly. I can only speculate that one of the characters may have not matched.

With kind regards,