Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

New Contributor
sparky030405
0 Kudos

Bigpond Mobile Wifi 4G connection problems with Apple devices

[ Edited ]

Bigpond Mobile Wifi 4G has been a pain in the butt to get working with Apple devices. Anyone esle having difficulty connecting Apple TV 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4, iMac (Lion 10.7.4) wirelessly? Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes some devices connect, but others won't.  I have latest software updates on all devices.

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Re: Bigpond Mobile Wifi 4G connection problems with Apple devices

Hi sparky030405,

Thanks for your post regarding connection problems you've been having with your BigPond Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi 4G device when connecting your Apple devices.

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport :smileyhappy: Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

From what you have described, it seems that there maybe Wi-Fi signal interference, so I recommend changing the Wi-Fi channel as well as strength of the signal. Could you please login to your modem configuration page by opening a browser then point it to http://bigpond.4g (Sierra AC760S) or 10.0.0.138.

Once the configuration page is up, click on Advanced Settings, then follow below:

Changing the Wi-Fi Channel and Wi-Fi Performance Settings

1) On the WiFi Tab, click on the Network Sub-Tab

2) Configure the appropriate settings as desired. 

a) Wi-Fi Perfomance: This will configure the WiFi network signal strength - "Short Range" has the smallest WiFi network range, and will save the most battery.
b)Wi-Fi Channel: This will configure the WiFi Network frequency channel to use. (Change Auto to a specific channel,just try anything that works better for you).

3) Make sure that you save each new settings and powercycle modem after every change.

If you still have any issues after this, it might be worth contacting our BigPond Technical Support Team on 133 933 anytime for further help. Please let us know how you are going with this, thank you.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
PMckim
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem as the OP.  My Iphone 4S and Ipad 2 will not connect to my 4g mobile wifi device.

I have followed the instructions laid out here, and have searched out other possible solutions.

What is the magic bullet here, there must be a combination of settings that need to be perfect for this to work.

My Iphone connects fine to the 3G model of the same Sierra Wireless wifi hotspot modem, so there is something up with the 4G model.

Please advise.

I notice the Iphone acutally looks like it's connecting to the device, but it only pulls an APIPA Ip address rather than getting served with an appropriate IP Address from DHCP.  If I set a static IP address, it connects to the device, but doesn't actually work. 

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hello PMckim,

Thanks for your post regarding not being able to connect your iPhone 4S and iPad 2 to your BigPond Mobile Wi-Fi 4G device and I'm sorry for any inconvenince caused by this.

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport :smileyhappy: Please stick around and offer any expertise you may have in the range of topics we have here in our Community.

I understand that you're able to connect your iPhone 3G model to the wi-fi hotspot device but not the iPhone 4S or iPad 2. After searching our support pages, I can only recommend to reset the device to it's factory default settings as per below instructions:

To factory default the device via the device itself:

1. Press and hold the Power and WPS Buttons together for 10 seconds
  2. The below screen will be displayed - press the Power Button again (before the bottom progress bar times out) to factory default the device

The device will take around 15-30 seconds to reset

Image Image 

To factory default the device via the device GUI/interface:

1. Open Internet Explorer. In the address bar, type: http://bigpond.4g or 10.0.0.138 and press Enter. The device homepage should open
  2. Click on About Your Mobile Hotspot
  3. Click on Reset Device to Factory Defaults

By the way, I've also done some searching for you and you might find Sierra Wireless Watcher app for Apple devices useful.

Please let us know how go with all of the above so I can follow up as necessary, thank you.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
disappointed75
0 Kudos

I purchased a Bigpond Sierra Mobile Wi-Fi 4G yesterday with the intention of using it for my laptop and iPad. Laptop was no problem but after about 4 hours of trying to get connection to iPad last night I gave up.

I could get it to the stage that the device was recognised by the iPad but the connection kept switching on and off and at no stage did it display the wireless connectivity symbol on the iPad nor indicate any information in the Router Address, Subnet Mask etc.

Took it back to the Telstra dealer today and spent another fruitless hour with the same result. As I had laptop and iPad with me the store assistant took the opportunity of giving Telstra access to the laptop to verify that set-up was indeed correct. It was and I was finally advised that there must be a fault in the iPad.

The iPad will connect to the internet through my home router and the store router, both of which are ADSL.

Any help or information will be appreciated, I am located at least 85 kms. from where the iPad was purchased and about the same distance from 2 Apple stores.

Occasional Visitor
moochachos

The answer you've been looking for.

Hi all,

I purchased a Tesltra Mobile Wi-Fi 4G device today (Sierra Aircard 760S) and came across the same issue with iPhone 5 not connecting to Wi-Fi. To troubleshoot the issue I turned off any encryption (i.e. disabled the requirement for a password to connect to the device) and it connected without an issue. Then I remembered an old IT support trick for macs... due to the level of encryption it requires a password of 13 characters or more. So I tried setting a password of 13 character length. Hey presto it works.

Hopefully this helps you all as I imagine no-one at Telstra would pick this up. The supporting knowledge base article from Apple is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1126

Enjoy, Mutchy

p.s. Telstra techs, I'll send you my bill shortly. :smileywink:

disappointed75
0 Kudos

Re: The answer you've been looking for.

Fitted in a visit to an Apple store at greatinconvenience to myself. After much deliberation, and study by the 'Genius ' people the decision was made to swap the unit. A desperate try by one of the staff fixed the problem and it is operating very well. 

In the Wifi setup section they deleted any reference to a previous network, input the 4G devices code and connection was made. Simple but you gotta know how!

Thanktattoo all posters on this site.

roshangun
0 Kudos

I had a similar problem in connecting my Apple TV to my Sierra 4G modem. I turned off encryptation and then it works. I changed my password to 13 characters, but still can't connect. Only way it can be connected is by truning off encriptation as described. But then anyone can access my network. Can somebody describe a fix?

roshangun
0 Kudos

Well my apple store GENIUS in Newcastle could not figure out what was wrong. Lucky you.LOL

>