Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Occasional Contributor
mrcyberdude
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

GPS 4G enabling on Sierra AirCard 760S aka 4G-915B. Compatible Software?

I have just purchased the 4G Sierra AirCard 760S also known as Telstra 4G-915B.

How can I enable the GPS function on this?

It would be nice if this was an available option in the iPhone app.

There must be some compatible software for this.

Can I use the same old software that supports previous Sierra Air Cards such as this.

http://www.bigpond.com/res/images/helpcenterFAQs/wireless/bwbcmwin32_fullcd_2.13.zip

There are comments here that say GPS can be enabled.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=1286

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1859148

MrCyberdude

Occasional Contributor
mrcyberdude
0 Kudos

Re: GPS 4G enabling on Sierra AirCard 760S aka 4G-915B. Compatible Software?

Come on Experts.

It is a 4G wifi hotspot under the "BigPond Mobile Super G Liberty" plan. .... No one wants Kudo's ?

Occasional Contributor
mrcyberdude
0 Kudos

Mobile WiFi 4G is its official name. The 915B is generated for said purposes.
I have been told that Telstra Plus Premium Support are the group that I may have to deal with, can anyone here suggest who is the group that looks after this product in terms of driver support?

Sierra have replyed to my support ticket and say it is normally a GPS icon that shows up when logged in as admin.

Why has no one here in this forum responded?
Is this issue too technically difficult for all here or have I missed an obvious post?
Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hello mrcyberdude,

Thanks for your post regarding enabling GPS on your BigPond 4G device.

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport :smileyhappy: Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

I'm sorry that no one has responded to your post as it seems it may be technically too difficult to respond to.

What is it that you are trying to achieve in activating GPS? As far as I know this is outside support boundary for BigPond Technical Support Team so they won't be able to help and Telstra Premium Support (Telstra Plus) may be able to help.

I'm not sure if you've been able to get through the modem interface but you can do so by going to http://bigpond.4g or 10.0.0.138 in your browser.

Please keep us updated on how you are going with this. Thank you.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Occasional Contributor
mrcyberdude
0 Kudos

Yes I can access all the menus and the device works well with exception that GPS is missing from the Telstra version of this product.
Thats when I emailed Sierra about the AC760S.
This is what should be in the menu but is missing. http://db.tt/4YRxYkio
This picture was sent by Sierra.
Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi mrcyberdude,

Thanks for your response and providing more details and link to screen shot showing the GPS function on the 4G device.

I have forwarded this now to our Products Dev. Team to look into further as it looks as though this feature may have been disabled for Telstra/BigPond branded 4G devices, if the menu is not showing in the modem configuration page.

I will confirm once I get an update. Thank you for your patience at this time.

With kind regards,

Occasional Contributor
mrcyberdude
0 Kudos

Thanks Joe_Telstra,
it sounds like an easy feature to enable and I for the life of me cannot understand why it would be in old versions of Telstra products but not enabled in the new product when even the most basic phone now has GPS features.
I researched the AC760S before I signed up for this device and GPS is listed as a standard feature.
I'm sure I'm not the only person with this issue. I have made nearly a dozen calls to different product support areas and had no progress. So I'm assuming that everyone else gave up or followed the whirlpool advice.
If it is enabled elsewhere as standard then it should not be crippled here in Australia.
Thanks for you help thus far.
Occasional Contributor
mrcyberdude
0 Kudos

Any update on the simple question about the menu?
Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi again mrcyberdude,

I had an initial response that the GPS is not available on the BigPond Mobile Wi-Fi device.

However, we are just double checking that to see if it's across all the other devices.

I will update you as soon as I get the confirmation. Thank you.

With kind regards,

Occasional Contributor
mrcyberdude
0 Kudos

I probably would have just gone into the terminal screen and typed the appropriate AT command to get the GPS going but now I'm running windows 7 / 8 I have not got hyperterm installed... Yet.
Still I'm surprised that it appears to have not been enabled..
Considering the ease in which it could be done.
MrCyberdude
Occasional Contributor
mrcyberdude

Well the lack of technical help here is disappointing, considering the wealth of technical knowledge Telstra staff should have !

I installed Hyperterminal from windowsXP onto my windows7 installation and then connected to the Sierra4G WiFi Hotspot via USB.
I selected the com port in the settings and then typed AT&V to get a response from the 4G modem. Once I knew I was connected I tried a few Sierra high level AT commands starting with
AT!CUSTOM?
but the ones that did the trick for me were
AT!RESET
and
AT!GPSENABLE=1,1
then when I logged out of the web menu and relogged in the GPS icon is now in the browser.
I have not been able to see if the GPS works as of yet as I was located in a signal shielded bunker at the time.
This was written from memory and I did use the Sierra AT command PDF which had a lot of useful commands.

Maybe now someone can test for me as I don't have access to satellites line of sight.

MrCyberdude
Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi mrcyberdude,

Thanks for the update & please let me know if this worked once you've tried it. Thank you. 

I'm still awaiting confirmation on availability. Thank you.

With kind regards,

AmazingKris

Hi all, my first post on crowdsupport.
I successfully enabled the GPS in my Telstra Bigpond branded Aircard 760S:
Firmware Version:smileyfrustrated:WI9200H2_03.05.09.01APWeb UI Version:BIGPOND_02.00.25.01Host software for USB Tethering:AC760S_TELSTRA_B3323 Bootloader Version:smileyfrustrated:WI9200H2_03.05.09.01BTFirmware Build Date:02/15/12PRI Version:01.07Package Version:smileyfrustrated:WI9200H2_03.05.09.01_Telstra_9901403_0107

Steps were:
Connect via USB, install as intended
Check which port labeled AT command port (in my case com10)

Downloaded installed and ran HyperTerminal (windows)
Connected to Com10
Command:  AT!GSTATUS?   responded positively.

Command: AT!RESET   just for the fun of it, and reconnected the port once the device rebooted
Command: AT!GPSENABLE=1,1  reported ERROR
Command: AT!ENTERCND="A710"  reported OK
Command: AT!CUSTOM="GPSENABLE",1  responded as expected and the device was rebooted by hard button reset.

The GPS option is now available in the web portal, but I am 3 floors underground. 
Used the resources found in this thread and also http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=1286
I hope this helps some of you out there!

Occasional Contributor
mrcyberdude

As I had smashed in so many commands when I had no signal I was never sure what the error messages really meant.
AT!ENTERCND="A710" was one I had entered but forgot to document.
Thanks for your post AmazingKris :smileywink:
Let's hope it help others, and myself next time I have to reset the device.
Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hello AmazingKris,

What an Amazing first post :smileyhappy: and welcome to CrowdSupport Kris :smileyhappy:

Please stick around and offer any other expertise you have, in the range of topics we have here in our Community.

This will definitely help a lot of people who wish to enable GPS on their Sierra Aircard device. I really appreciate the time you've taken to research these instructions, so big kudos to you :smileyhappy: Thank you once again...

With kind regards,

Andrew54
0 Kudos

Joe,

I would also like to enable the GPS on my AirCard 760s. I'm running a Mac system using OS X 10.9. Has anyone or Telstra come up with a procedure of enabling the GPS on other systems other than Windows. I have not been able to replicate "mrcyberdude" method as I'm not that familiar with the Mac command line language and have no idea how to detect the various port setting.

Regards

Visitor
MrCyberdude1
0 Kudos

Andrew54 reread below, I summarized for you.

I installed the program Hyperterminal from windowsXP onto my windows7 installation and then connected to the Sierra4G WiFi Hotspot via USB.
I selected the com port in the settings and then typed AT&V to get a response from the 4G modem. Once I knew I was connected I tried a few Sierra high level AT commands starting with
AT!CUSTOM?
but the ones that did the trick for me were
AT!RESET
and
Command: AT!ENTERCND="A710" reported OK
and
AT!GPSENABLE=1,1
then when I logged out of the web menu and relogged into the modem, the GPS icon is now in the browser.
I have not been able to see if the GPS works as of yet as I was located in a signal shielded bunker at the time.

AmazingKris said,
Downloaded installed and ran HyperTerminal (windows)
Connected to Com10
Command: AT!GSTATUS? responded positively.
Command: AT!RESET just for the fun of it, and reconnected the port once the device rebooted
Command: AT!GPSENABLE=1,1 reported ERROR
Command: AT!ENTERCND="A710" reported OK
Command: AT!CUSTOM="GPSENABLE",1 responded as expected and the device was rebooted by hard button reset.

Hope the 2 answers make sense as I have done it a couple of times now successfully.

MrCyberdude