Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

andy2181
0 Kudos

Ultimate Wireless Broadband SO SLOW all of a sudden

Been using Ultimate Wireless Broadband for about a year, generally I have been very happy with it, with download speeds very fast (4-6MBps) but since Christmas I have been able to get anywhere near a Mbps, I am barely able to get my emails, a 1kb email takes 2 mins to send. My location is Canberra, ACT. 

Currently my download speed is 0.095Mbps Upload is 0.005Mbps. WTF it took me 50 mins to get to this site, register and start typing. I am totally over it.

Few interesting things I have noticed, my IP address is being assigned an IP with the location of Melbourne and maybe Sydney most in awhile. Both are very slow. I also noticed my download speeds on my mobile phone have been really slow too. 

Are there alot of congestion issue on the network lately?

Any ideas/thoughts/solutions would be appreciated. 

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Re: Ultimate Wireless Broadband SO SLOW all of a sudden

Hi Andy,

Firstly, I always recommend checking for any outages in your area. You can do this by visiting http://servicestatus.telstra.com/servicestatus/goc.do and entering in your postcode.

Secondly, I'm assuming your not shaped, as the issue is happening with your Mobile service as well.

Thirdly, has the actual coverage you get decreased (ie: Lack of Bars etc.)? If so, it might be worth reporting a Blackspot at http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/feedback.cfm .

To get us to check for congestion, it might be worth reporting a fault to 13 22 00 (Mobile Faults) or 133 933 (Bigpond Techincal Support). You can also chat with Techincal Support Online (https://telstra-operations.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch )

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

andy2181
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Ben,

Checked outages over the last few days and the status pages reports nothing. Coverage isn't an issue, as I have full bars on both mobile and wireless broadband, and always do in my office.

I definitely think it is a congestion issue, is there anything Telstra can do to solve a congestion problem for one customer, other than upgrading the entire area? 

Ben_F
0 Kudos

andy2181 wrote:

Thanks for your reply Ben,

Checked outages over the last few days and the status pages reports nothing. Coverage isn't an issue, as I have full bars on both mobile and wireless broadband, and always do in my office.

I definitely think it is a congestion issue, is there anything Telstra can do to solve a congestion problem for one customer, other than upgrading the entire area? 

Fraid not. Congestion is exactly that, congestion from the Base Station to the wider internet.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Occasional Visitor
Telstrafailsus
0 Kudos

I agree the whole mobil broadband thing is a joke . I used to spend at least $200/month on prepaid wireless broadband. Now I don't bother much . The whole conjestion issue has destroyed my faith in this company. I intend to cancel my home/work landlines and mobil phone contracts with them. I also will not be using this mobil broadband service anymore after my money has expired.
Ben_F
0 Kudos

Telstrafailsus wrote:
I agree the whole mobil broadband thing is a joke . I used to spend at least $200/month on prepaid wireless broadband. Now I don't bother much . The whole conjestion issue has destroyed my faith in this company. I intend to cancel my home/work landlines and mobil phone contracts with them. I also will not be using this mobil broadband service anymore after my money has expired.

Can you give us some information to go on? Have you tried to contact Telstra to confirm it is in fact congestion?

I know there are heaps of changes in place on the network, and Customer Feedback is a mjaor factor. Have you reported the issue to Telstra at all, and if so what response did you receive?

New Users - Click Here!

Storme
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Glad it's not just me this is happening to.

Congestion?  What - 24/7 for the last month?  Come on, I don't think so.

'Congestion' implies something of an eratic and spontaneous nature - and 'peak traffic' usually comes into the equation.  'Peak traffic' just isn't a 24/7 kind of thing.  People do actually sleep - or so I've heard.

I'm in a regional area, "just outside the range of the nearest exchange" and have always had 4 of 5 bars of reception, which isn't too bad for being 'out of range'.  It's been almost as good as having the full Monty - BUT - a month ago, that mysteriously dropped away to 2 bars, and now:

-  it consistently takes a minimum of 20 minutes to load my email client, and

-  3.5 hours to watch a 5 minute youtube

Now, I'm not Einstein's intellectual equal by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me that charging $69 a month for a piddly 5 gig of data allowance, compared to city dwellers' allocations of 500 gig and even unlimited broadband, for $40 down to $24 a month, isn't a fair exchange at the best of times, but no more so when the service has become decidedly 'dodgy'.  That just adds insult to injury.  

And we are injured, because, let's face it, it kind of permanently hurts to sit down after you've had to keep taking it up the rectal region for years on end without apology.

In fact, for $69 a month, I rather expect Telstra to pay me dividends bianually and serve me breakfast in bed every morning, but does that happen?  No.  And neither does their wireless broadband.

Congestion, indeed.  I think not.

Ben_F
0 Kudos

Storme wrote: 

'Congestion' implies something of an eratic and spontaneous nature - and 'peak traffic' usually comes into the equation.  'Peak traffic' just isn't a 24/7 kind of thing.  People do actually sleep - or so I've heard.

Nope. Congestion means that the tube that feeds the internets to you isn't big enough. Congestion can be during peak times, or all the time.

Storme wrote: 

I'm in a regional area, "just outside the range of the nearest exchange" and have always had 4 of 5 bars of reception, which isn't too bad for being 'out of range'.  It's been almost as good as having the full Monty - BUT - a month ago, that mysteriously dropped away to 2 bars, and now:

-  it consistently takes a minimum of 20 minutes to load my email client, and

-  3.5 hours to watch a 5 minute youtube

That sounds like a Tower is out, have you checked http://servicestatus.telstra.com to see if there are any faults in the area?

Are you referring to the Email Client on your PC (such as MS Outlook or Mac Mail) or are you referring to a web solution such as Gmail/iCloud/Hotmail?

If its an Email Client its likely to be a PC issue. and it could be linked into the Youtube video stuff.

Storme wrote:

Now, I'm not Einstein's intellectual equal by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me that charging $69 a month for a piddly 5 gig of data allowance, compared to city dwellers' allocations of 500 gig and even unlimited broadband, for $40 down to $24 a month, isn't a fair exchange at the best of times, but no more so when the service has become decidedly 'dodgy'.  That just adds insult to injury.  

You have an over-stated sense of entitlement. As a resident of this country, your entitlement to Internet is absolutley Zero. Access to the internet isn't considered a Fundamental right in this country.

You are paying a commercially fair price for a product that has its own challenges over Fixed Line services you describe.

Storme wrote: 

And we are injured, because, let's face it, it kind of permanently hurts to sit down after you've had to keep taking it up the rectal region for years on end without apology.

I am sure that Telstra would apologise for in any way hurting your rectum, however what you are mistaking for a sore rectum is actually you receiving what your entitled to under the law in this country.

Storme wrote:

In fact, for $69 a month, I rather expect Telstra to pay me dividends bianually and serve me breakfast in bed every morning, but does that happen?  No.  And neither does their wireless broadband.

For $69 a month, I would expect Telstra to supply the service with Due care and Skill, as required in the Our Customer Terms (which is the contractual agreement between you and Telstra).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Storme
0 Kudos

"Nope. Congestion means that the tube that feeds the internets to you isn't big enough. Congestion can be during peak times, or all the time."

Really?  So, that would mean, if I'm not mistaken, that the 'tube' that's been feeding the internet to our area, magically and quite suddenly, shrank at some point over the last month?  How very odd, considering there hasn't been a population explosion out here, unless you count rabbits, but I didn't think they were into technology.  In any event, I do hope it manages to 'grow' back to size again one day, for sanity's sake.  

"That sounds like a Tower is out, have you checked http://servicestatus.telstra.com to see if there are any faults in the area?  Are you referring to the Email Client on your PC (such as MS Outlook or Mac Mail) or are you referring to a web solution such as Gmail/iCloud/Hotmail?  If its an Email Client its likely to be a PC issue. and it could be linked into the Youtube video stuff."

Why, yes, I have checked, actually. As per the originator of this thread, no, the tower appears not to be out.  And I really must stop replying to things when I've not slept in a few days and the coffee pot is mournfully empty....by 'email client', I just meant gmail.  I have had a techie thoroughly check the pc and modem and whatever else techies check. He advised that things on our end seem just fine.

"You have an over-stated sense of entitlement. As a resident of this country, your entitlement to Internet is absolutley Zero. Access to the internet isn't considered a Fundamental right in this country.
You are paying a commercially fair price for a product that has its own challenges over Fixed Line services you describe."     

Is that a fact? You may want to advise the ACCC of that.  Apparently they've incorrectly advised my partner that, in a nutshell, according to the Australian Fair Trades Act of 1987, when anyone enters into a contractual agreement and commences paying for goods or services in Australia, they become instantly entitled to expect the correct and proper functioning of whatever goods and/or services they're paying for, within reasonable limits.  Telstra is not exempt, just because it was once the PMG and laid down original lines and I hear no voilins playing for their cause.

As for "a commercially fair price", that's rather subjective on your part as a defender of Telstra.  A "commercially fair price" would be one where Telstra charge competitive rates in line with - well, competitors - which they are not, and never have.  That's fact, not fiction, nor an "overstated sense of" my entitlement.  If I'm paying you my money for your service, you'd jolly well better have the law defending your 'rights' to take my money and not provide the service agreed upon. That's a legal entitlement, not hot air.

"For $69 a month, I would expect Telstra to supply the service with Due care and Skill, as required in the Our Customer Terms (which is the contractual agreement between you and Telstra)."  

Clearly, at least one defensive little vegemite has no sense of humour whatsoever, however dark and jaded said humour might be.

Ben_F
0 Kudos

What I think you are seeing is one of the towers being out, causing reduced capacity. This is evidenced by the drop in signal strength.

Have you reported the outage to the Coverage Feedback Team? If so, what was their response?

Storme wrote: 

"That sounds like a Tower is out, have you checked http://servicestatus.telstra.com to see if there are any faults in the area?  Are you referring to the Email Client on your PC (such as MS Outlook or Mac Mail) or are you referring to a web solution such as Gmail/iCloud/Hotmail?  If its an Email Client its likely to be a PC issue. and it could be linked into the Youtube video stuff."

Why, yes, I have checked, actually. As per the originator of this thread, no, the tower appears not to be out.  And I really must stop replying to things when I've not slept in a few days and the coffee pot is mournfully empty....by 'email client', I just meant gmail.  I have had a techie thoroughly check the pc and modem and whatever else techies check. He advised that things on our end seem just fine.

You don't need to give cheek, the questions I ask are designed to ask what you have done, as you really didn't tell us much about what troubleshooting you had undertaken.

Storme wrote: 

"You have an over-stated sense of entitlement. As a resident of this country, your entitlement to Internet is absolutley Zero. Access to the internet isn't considered a Fundamental right in this country.
You are paying a commercially fair price for a product that has its own challenges over Fixed Line services you describe."     

Is that a fact? You may want to advise the ACCC of that.  Apparently they've incorrectly advised my partner that, in a nutshell, according to the Australian Fair Trades Act of 1987, when anyone enters into a contractual agreement and commences paying for goods or services in Australia, they become instantly entitled to expect the correct and proper functioning of whatever goods and/or services they're paying for, within reasonable limits.  Telstra is not exempt, just because it was once the PMG and laid down original lines and I hear no voilins playing for their cause.

The Fair Trades Act of 1987 does not exist on Comlaw or Auslii (2 reputable legistation tracking sites). You could be referring to the Trade Pracices Act or the Competition and Consumer Act.

The "Contract" you entered into was for a wireless Broadband service in accordance with the Our Customer Terms which is Telstra's Standard Form of Agreement under the Telecommunications Act. I know for a fact that Our Customer Terms does not imply that you will be able to acheive any specific speed, in fact it says in Part A – General Terms for BigPond services  that:

4 Limits of the service

4.1  Subject to clause 4.2 below, there are certain things that, despite our best efforts, we cannot guarantee or provide in relation to the service. These things include those set out in this clause 4. These terms do not affect your rights under consumer protection laws.

4.2  We will use due care and skill in providing your service in accordance with Our Customer Terms. There may also be other non-excludable statutory guarantees, implied conditions or warranties under consumer protection laws (such as the Competition & Consumer Act 2010 and State and Territory Fair Trading Acts) that cannot be excluded which may apply to goods or services we supply to consumers, including that services be fit for their purpose. However, given the nature of telecommunications systems, we cannot promise that your service will be continuous, accessible at all times or fault free

7 Termination

Your right to terminate your service

7.2  You may terminate your service at any time by calling us on 13 POND (13 7663).

7.3  However, subject to clause 7.1, if you terminate your service after the end of any Cooling- Off Period and before the end of any applicable minimum term, you must pay us the cancellation fee set out in the charges section for your plan.

7.4  You may also terminate the service if:

(a)  we are in serious breach of the applicable parts of Our Customer Terms; and 

(b)  you have notified us in writing of our breach and we have failed to remedy the breach within 30 days of your notice (if the breach can be remedied). If the breach is something which cannot be remedied, you may immediately terminate your service with notice to us.

7.5  If you terminate the service under clause 7.4 during your minimum term:

(a)  you will not have to pay us the cancellation fee set out in the charges section for your plan;

The Telecommunications Act appears to imply that you are held to these conditions regardless as to if you have seen them, as they are a Standard Form of Agreement.

Storme wrote: 

As for "a commercially fair price", that's rather subjective on your part as a defender of Telstra.  A "commercially fair price" would be one where Telstra charge competitive rates in line with - well, competitors - which they are not, and never have.  That's fact, not fiction, nor an "overstated sense of" my entitlement.  If I'm paying you my money for your service, you'd jolly well better have the law defending your 'rights' to take my money and not provide the service agreed upon. That's a legal entitlement, not hot air.

Commercially Fair Price refers to the fact that a Service Provider (Telstra) is charging you what it considers fair and reasonable to supply the service. It is your job to assess the options available and to make a decision which company you wish to have a Client-Supplier relationship with.

It is worth noting that there is nothing in the law that prevents Optus, Vodafone or anyone else from supplying the same service in the same area.

New Users - Click Here!

rahoolthemxican
0 Kudos

Seems to me this  Internet starts to get bad after your contract runs out. mine was great till that date then it only works part time not at night much at all and really slow  .this is just  Prompt you to get the new 4g crap Internet . 

When you go to the shop its all about your out of contract we suggest you sign up for the new 4g . Once the contract is up you have nothing to complain about they don't give a **bleep** . telstra truly is one of the biggest rip offs among many rip offs in Australia but it stands alone on its poor service bad service crap products outrages prices . I mean look at it for what it is you have to pay big bucks for really **bleep** Internet . When it doesn't work its a black spot well i've lived all over town the towns a black spot . 

>