Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Help & Support Team
CrowdSurfer
Accepted Solution

BigPond Modem settings...

[ Edited ]

BigPond Modem settings...If you ever need to check your ‘BigPond’ ADSL modem internal settings, then the ‘magic’ number you need to type into the address bar is:  http://10.0.0.138/ or for cable type in  http://192.168.0.1/

If you know your password and simply want to update it, please follow the instructions which cover all BigPond Broadband Customer types.  

While we are on settings if you've lost or forgotten your BigPond password.

New BigPond Username & Password Online Retrieval Tool.

Otherwise sing out if you need any other modem related info, and we will post it up!

CrowdSurfer

(This has been turned into an knowledge based article which can be found here.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If we've been able to answer your question, please tag the answer as an accepted solution - this will make it easier for the rest of the community to locate the answer too ."

Honoured Contributor
Extreame
0 Kudos

Re: BigPond Modem settings...

CrowdSurfer wrote:

for cable type in  http://192.168.0.1/

This ↑↑ is only for HNG Cable modems (Netgear and Cisco)

If you own a Motorola sb510x series or have turned off NAT on any Cisco or Netgear modems your access is via: http://192.168.100.1

Left CrowdSupport as of July 2013, since the recent website changes I cant find people's threads who need my help, I gave up!

If you need my help, you can find my website address in my profile - or do a Google search for 'Extreame Forums".
Telstra Employee
KrayzeeKev

The sure-fire way to work out the IP address of your router (assuming there's only one in the story - if you have multiple, this will get you the one you're directly connected to), is to open a command prompt (assuming you're on Windows). Press START and type in CMD and press ENTER

Then, at the prompt type:

ROUTE PRINT 0.0.0.0

You'll get a list of interfaces you can ignore followed up something like this:

IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination    Netmask         Gateway                    Interface Metric
0.0.0.0                             0.0.0.0             141.168.32.1            141.168.32.32 10
===========================================================================

The number you want is the "Gateway". It'll most likely be something like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.100.1, 192.168.0.138, 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.138. That's the IP address of your router/gateway.

You can also get this info as the "Default Gateway" if you navigate your way through the network settings but it's quite different in different versions of Windows so the above works well.

If you're on a Mac the at a system prompt you can enter:

route -n

And the answer you want is the entry in the "Gateway" column on the row that contains 0.0.0.0 in the Destination column.

Or you should be able to get the Default Gateway from the network settings page.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Established Member
willyroo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dupe post - bridged CG3100 = 192.168.100.1 as per earlier post

ron_k
0 Kudos

I am new to this forum but i can't find where to post i new question so i am posting it here. ftp connection on TG587n v3. Has anyone tried enabling fto via connection sharing on this router. It seems the router is not allowing access to ftp port. When i click on the ftp address i get a login dialogue box where i enter as admin but then the connection is not allowed after that. Anyone tried ftp on this router?

Technical Support
Brodie_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey Ron_k,

The TG587n v3 does have the capacity (and ports) to connect to FTP, however the modem requires a specific firmware upgrade to unlock the WAN port (Firmware: 8.4.4.J). This firmware update does not have a direct link, and from what I've been advised, the modem will automatically update after a steady connection. (Chi explains this in detail here)

If you could check your modem firmware, if it is listed as ending in a 'H' then it is the default firmware which won't allow the connection. 

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Telstra Bigpond Technical Support

Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
ron_k
0 Kudos

Thanks Brodie,

The modem was purchased/installed end of august this year. Software release is 8.4.4.J so i guess firmware is up-to-date. Settings are Toolbox > content sharing > ftp server > server address is of the format ftp://admin@ip address

server enabled yes. When i click the ftp link it asks me for a password for admin, when entered an error 530 permission denied (user admin not allowed to login from lan to ftp). I guess this occurs because i am accesing ftp from my local LAN.

Is it possible to access the router and hence shared devices though ftp externally by clicking on the ftp link configured at the server address item?

Kaysa
0 Kudos

I am trying to set up parental controls on my Netgear CG3100d-2.  I wasn't given a manual with the modem that BigPond supplied.  I have sent emails and have contacted your support number to give/send me instructions.  I am told if I want to find out how to set this up then I need to pay for your Premium Support.

This is unreasonable as the modem was supplied by BigPond and no manual was supplied with it.  All I am asking for is to be sent instructions and I'm quite happy to set it up myself.  I have tried contacting Netgear but they said that this modem is supported by BigPond only.

Visitor
Nicko33
0 Kudos

Hi

Like Ron_K, I can't find where to post a new (related) question and like Kaysa, a manual might do the trick.

I have established my local cable wif-fi network and have my smart tv linked to the modem, but can't get through the modem to the web.  The settings on the tv are correct (and confirmed) but either the host computer (which has no probems with the net) or the router aren't co-operating.  Any tips?

Thanks

The_Howards
0 Kudos

HELP!!

I cannot connect to the router settings (192.168.0.1).

Keeps coming up with: 

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.0.1

Try reloading: 192.­168.­0.­1

I have a Netgear Cable Home Gateway CG-3100D-2BPAUS.

I have tried it on 3 computers, with 4 different web browers and all the ips in this forum.

I have had many problems with this router before.

Please Help, as I need to port forward a few ports and want to change the name and password!

Technical Support
Brodie_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey The_Howards,

You might need to default the modem if you cannot access it via the 192.168.0.1. You can do this by pushing the small hole underneath the modem with a pin or paperclip for 15-20 seconds.

Brodie

Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

Benji45
0 Kudos

When I click the link, it asks for my username and password.

What is this for?

My bigpond login credentials? Because I have tried it with an email and without and I still dont now where I could find my username or password :/

PLEASE HELP

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra

Hey Benji45,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport  Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

The default username and password for your modem when you click are as below:

username: admin

password: password

I'm sorry for any confusion but this is entirely different and separate from your BigPond username and password for your broadband connection. Thanks Benji45.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
mansour
0 Kudos

A manual would be nice. But any problems with the modem you have to pay $99 dollars to the telstra team so they can tell you to click a button. Put a link to the manual and save us the grief.

Contributor
DragonJewel
0 Kudos

mansour
0 Kudos

That is excellent! Nice work. But that is for people with a Netgear modem.

For people with the worst supported modem in the world, here is the link to the manual of the TG587

http://downloads.thomson.net/telecom/documentation/TG587n/R74X/SetupUserGuide/PDF/TG587n_SetupUserGu...
princess123
0 Kudos

I do not understand this I tried.

I have a Thomson modem/router and the password is numbers and letters

I just want to simlify this and choose my own password that I can remember

Please can you help. need this explained to me in a simple way

Thanks the princess

Technical Support
Brodie_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey Princess,

Just to confirm, are you wanting to change the Wi-Fi details of your modem? Is your modem the TG782T?

Brodie

Visitor
gjk2
0 Kudos

Hi I have tried accessing my modem internal settings by entering the "magic number" http://10.0.0.138, but all I get is the message:

This page can’t be displayed
  • Make sure the web address http://10.0.0.138 is correct.
  • Look for the page with your search engine.
  • Refresh the page in a few minutes.

the same happens when I try the other "magic number" http://192.168.0.1/

This page can’t be displayed
  • Make sure the web address http://192.168.0.1 is correct.
  • Look for the page with your search engine.
  • Refresh the page in a few minutes.

The modem is a Telstra TG797n v3

I wish to check what the line speed is at the actual modem as I am getting conflicting speeds from speedtest.net and testmy.net compared with the telstra technician's modem when he tested my line and informed my that I should be able to see the same result as his equipment when using  http://10.0.0.138 at my modem.

Technical Support
Brodie_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey gjk2,

The modem home page for TG797n should be 10.0.0.138. If you're unable to view that site, it could be that you're connecting via a router, or the settings have changed. Easiest way to fix this would be to default the modem. It will pull it back to the original settings which will allow access via 10.0.0.138

Brodie

Established Member
stana
0 Kudos

Hi i have been trying to set up my linksys WAG320N router with the correct settings for my ADSL (copper pair).

How can i find out the correct wan settings, i have it set up as.

Encapsulation - RFC 2364 PPPoA

Multiplex - VC

QoS - UBR

Autodetect - Disable

VPI - 8

VCI - 35

DSL Multimode.

These settings seem to be the only way i seem to be able to connect to the net but my line speed is 1.31 Mbps & dowmload speed is - 163 KB/s

very slow. help....(i know i should just get the cable broadband connectedbut i should be able to get at least something quicker happening until i get onto telstra to get the cable??

Established Member
stana
0 Kudos

Anyone of assistance??

Further information........

Mirror: Optus Data: 2 MB Test Time: 10 secs

Your line speed is 1.32 Mbps (1318 kbps). Your download speed is 165 KB/s (0.16 MB/s).

Established Member
stana
0 Kudos

From what i understand this is the typical?

1500/256 ADSL 1200/216 - 1500/256 kbps 150/27 - 188/32 KB/s
Technical Support
Faaiz_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi stana

Welcome to CrowdSupport. Are you getting those speeds over WiFi? To get an exact idea on your line speeds it would be best to check them over Ethernet(Physical connection from Computer to modem). Please make sure the computer being used to conduct speed test does not have programs running in the background(system tray) specially that use cloud services (eg: Drop Box) or file sharing (eg: Skype, P2P). 

Also devices that connect to the internet are turned off like Smart TVs, Media devices (T-Box etc), gaming consoles, and tablets. Alternatively you can disable the WiFi in the modem.

It's also important to make sure that devices like modem, filters and cabling are suitable for use with an ADSL2+ service as incompatible equipment can slow down the speed.

For help with the above or for anything else you can speak to our FOH faults team on 133 933 or via Live Chat: https://livechat.telstra.com

-Faaiz

Established Member
stana
0 Kudos

Hi, i am on hold with Telstra at the moment. it appears that for the past 10 years living at the same address paying $79 a month i am only on ADSL 1. i hope to resolve this with this revelation asap. not happy.
CQ
CQ
0 Kudos

HELP please I have a Thomson 530 Speedtouch and have been able to use the YEL to access diagnostics which shows that LAN is connected but DSL is not and that the modem line is down . How to I fix this ?
CQ
CQ
0 Kudos

*Url not YEL
Technical Support
Faaiz_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi CQ

Welcome to CrowdSupport. It seems like a internet issue and may not really be modem related. Firstly it would be best to check our Service Status page: http://goo.gl/OSt6sq and make sure there are no Outages/Scheduled maintenance in your area. If none then best to check and confirm that there's a dial tone on the landline and you can make/receive calls on it as it may affect internet.

Also make sure the password being entered into the modem interface is correct. If not sure our password recovery tool can be used to retrieve the correct password on the account.

If correct try an isolation test as detailed here: http://goo.gl/fTXVZ as that would help us narrow down the fault if one exists on the premises.

For help with the above or for further troubleshooting info you can speak to our FOH faults team on 133 933 or via Live Chat:   http://goo.gl/Cx3Wl

-Faaiz

richhelppls
0 Kudos

what about d-link

Technical Support
Brodie_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey Richhelppls,

What are enquiring about in regards to d-link? 

Brodie

PeterX
0 Kudos

Not useful. Have the same problem, but mine is in bridge mode. Was working perfectly until yesterday. Could use 192.168.0.1. Something changed. Firmware?
Technical Support
Brodie_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey PeterX,

Can you default the modem and retry?

Brodie

Established Member
B1forB2
0 Kudos

I have a Cisco EPC3925 modem/router. I want to connect a new Linksys router to improve multimedia wireless performance. Unfortunately the EPC3925 does not respond to the user and password names under the unit. Consequently I can't get in to the internals to switch it to bridge mode. Blanks in the fields do not work, nor have repeated hard re-sets changed it. Can you advise what to do please?

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi B1forB2,

The default login details to access the Cisco EPC3925 modem interface is 

Username: cisco

Password: admin

- Shelly

Telstra BigPond Technical Support

Established Member
B1forB2
0 Kudos

Hi Shelly

Many thanks. I will try that when I get home.

B1forB2

Established Member
B1forB2
0 Kudos

So Shelly, the bad news is that didn't work either. It comes back with 'invalid user or password' in nice bright red. Further thoughts and guidance would be very much appreciated.

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

Hi their B1 say good evening to B2 for us will you.

OK, try this:

Router default Username: admin

Router default  Password: admin

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.
NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Thanks
Jeff
Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

If that doesn't work, take a look at the following link, which has various suggested Username/password combinations;

http://www.router-defaults.com/Router/Cisco--EPC3925+BigPond-ip-password-username

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated.
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution.

Thanks
Jeff
Established Member
B1forB2
0 Kudos

Jeff, Many thanks for your suggestions. I seem to have the Fort Knox of modems though as nothing suggested so far will allow me in to this little trouble. Guessing it will be a phone call to Bigpond at this rate....

Community Leader
DEANJA

Well, sounds to me now like at some stage someone has changed the defaults on this unit and I'm afraid it's a bit like a blind man throwing darts at a darboard to figure out what the combination might be. Sorry.

Thanks
Jeff
Established Member
B1forB2
0 Kudos

I am fast beginning to think like you on this one. Even worse, it can only have been a Telstra tech as we have had this unit for 4 years now and have never tried to interface with it. Until now....

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

B1 Have you got the original user manual there for the unit, It's got details in it for doing a full hard reset of the unit, which should take it back to, for want of a better term, virginal condition. If you haven't, here's a link to a PDF copy;

Thanks
Jeff
Established Member
B1forB2
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff. No we don't have the original manual. BTW, I can't see the link on your post. B1

Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

oops Sorry missed pasting it in....

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4021192_A.pdf

Thanks
Jeff
Community Leader
DEANJA
0 Kudos

Just a note if you decide to do a full factory reset,

Factory resetting: You'll have to use a pen or a needle to press the button located on the back of the router. It's located in a small hole.

After 5-7 seconds the router will flash, after this don't remove the item you are using to press the button. The Router will flash again after about 10 seconds or so and this will be the factory reset.

Thanks
Jeff
Established Member
B1forB2
0 Kudos

Thanks Jeff. I will return to my gaol-breaking task this evening with hope. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again for your assistance.

Occasional Contributor
Corky39
0 Kudos

It is often stated in this forum that "defaulting  the modem by pushing the small hole underneath the modem with a pin or paperclip for 15-20 seconds" can perhaps fix some problems. What exactly does this procedure do? What settings would it reset? Does it have any effect on router access to the modem. I have an SB5101 modem, DLink DIR-632 router, cable broadband. Just interested as occasionally funny things happen. Regards Corky39

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Corky39,

Holding the reset button in for approximately 10 seconds is done to restore the modem to factory default settings. This can also be done by accessing the modems interface, but as the steps for this method differs for every model, there are no generic instructions that can be provided.

In short, this removes all settings from the modem and returns them to the default configuration. Any account and/or personalised settings will need to be reconfigured. As you have a Cable modem with a BYO WiFi router, I would recommend defaulting both and test, though you could try and default one, monitor and do the other if issues continue.

- Shelly

Occasional Contributor
Corky39
0 Kudos

Thanks Shelly, as the SB5101 is the original modem installed by Telstra, no changes have been made to its configuration. I gather that after restoring only the modem to factory settings that there would be no internet connection issues? Is there any differences from power down/power up reset which I have had to do on occasions (seems to restore connection)?  As you stated this modem can only be reset from the modem interface (no reset buttons) Regards Corky39

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Corky39,

I am pretty sure that there is a reset button on the SB5101. All modems will have one somewhere.

Turning the modem (or any device for that matter) is like having a good nights sleep and the modem wakes up refreshed. Some times modems get develop niggly issues and a factory default will return the modem to default settings. As these modems need to be manually configured with a username and password, and BigPond have never provided support for connecting a BYO WiFi router, I would dispute that this is as it was originally set up by BigPond. The issue may also be in your WiFi router, in which case a factory reset may help that device, or maybe not.

That being said, the SB5101 is a bit of a classic, you might consider upgrading to the latest and greatest modem offered by BigPond. 

All modems currently offered by BigPond (with the exception of Mobile Broadband devices) have WiFi capability.

Docsis 1.1 - Elite speeds up to 30mbps - Netgear CDG24N 

Docsis 3.0 - Ultimate speeds up to 100mbps - Netgear CG3100D-2

Customers can upgrade their modem for $75, or you may prefer to sign up for one of our new bundle options: https://www.telstra.com.au/bundles

- Shelly