Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Help & Support Team
CrowdSurfer
0 Kudos

Introducing the new T-Gateway (ADSL

Introducing the new T-GatewayTM which is a modem, router and a Wi-Fi access point in one.

TGateway.jpg

It is an advanced ADSL gateway not only supporting high speed ADSL services, but also the following features:

You can connect to multiple compatible devices such as T-Box®, PCs, MACs, laptops, smart TVs and game consoles as the T-Gateway has one high speed Gigabyte Ethernet port and three standard Ethernet ports (further specifications found here).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If we've been able to answer your question, please tag the answer as an accepted solution - this will make it easier for the rest of the community to locate the answer too ."

Honoured Contributor
Wanglese
0 Kudos

Re: Introducing the new T-Gateway (ADSL

Does it serve up .mkv files natively or do they have to be renamed to avi's as with the current gateway I have?

(still waiting on a firmware upgrade eta for that, BTW)

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.

If I or ANYONE has provided a solution to your problem, please mark it as an accepted solution. This helps others who may come along after you.

Have you tried typing in the "How can we help you?", or "Search this forum" field, right at the top of every page of CrowdSupport? and pressing "Find Answers" You might find that your issue has been solved, or is already being discussed.
Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Probably not an answer CS is going to be able to answer hopefully one of the product guys pipes in. From the comparison I did however it seems to me that It's more or less the same product except NBN voip ready (Premium gateway was lacking voip ports / software)

Edit: Multiple SSID's... I'm going to be annoyed if it has proper guest network functionality when my new N600 router doesn't @_@

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Honoured Contributor
Wanglese
0 Kudos

I like the idea of VOIP, and the multi ssid can have moments, and DECT support...

What's interesting to me, is Telstra's actually going to be promoting VOIP.  I wonder what they have planned........

If I or ANYONE has provided a solution to your problem, please mark it as an accepted solution. This helps others who may come along after you.

Have you tried typing in the "How can we help you?", or "Search this forum" field, right at the top of every page of CrowdSupport? and pressing "Find Answers" You might find that your issue has been solved, or is already being discussed.
Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigW

At this stage ".mkv" files are still not natively supported in the DMS library. As suggested renaming those files as ".avi" will work in most cases.

The Guest Wi-Fi feature enables you to setup a second (or third) completely separate network with  unique SSID names and encryption keys. Devices connecting to this network are provided access to the Internet only. Just what you need to provide Internet access to Guests without giving out the credentials for your main network.

DECT and VOIP are currently not supported however the hardware does cater for this to change in the future.

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

Wanglese wrote:

I like the idea of VOIP, and the multi ssid can have moments, and DECT support...

What's interesting to me, is Telstra's actually going to be promoting VOIP.  I wonder what they have planned........

Most NBN customers will be in what they class as a "Greenfield" area and will not have access to analogue telephony. Telstra is already providing VOIP support to these customers.

@CraigW Is there the option to change WiFi broadcast type i.e. B, B/G, N, A effectively allowing you to limit the bandwidth avaliable to the guest network?

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Honoured Contributor
Wanglese
0 Kudos

"Most NBN customers will be in what they class as a "Greenfield" area and will not have access to analogue telephony. Telstra is already providing VOIP support to these customers"

Ahh, I wasn't aware of that. cool.  Obviously a great commercial step would be to figure out a way to provide video calling between Telstra customers using the T-Hub 2.

The reason I suggets that is yeah, Skype's doable, but landline calls to people who simply don't use skype...

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

I believe that they're being charged at landline rates at the moment, most people seem to have just an analogue phone plugged into their NBN Modem. Modem in the OP will basically be a new universal modem from what I can tell. Think they're trying to have the same one for Velocity / NBN / ADSL. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a coaxial input in the next model (Even though I'm sure HFC is being phased out too but not sure how that's going to work.) They also support HSDPA as a WiFi router :smileywink: One stop Telstra modem. Almost.

athania

Telstra Products & Services Team
CraigW

Hi Lathania,

Both Guest and the main network are on the same physical Wi-Fi channel and logically split to allow separate management and access control. This means that it's not possible to individually control bandwidth or protocol type for just the guest network.

Robbo111
0 Kudos

Hi guys

Can I ask why such a good looking and sophistigated piece of equipment is not dual band or 802.11ac compliant. It seems such a waste to me and I use most Telstra products.

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

My bet would be because a large amount of home users equipment doesn't have the capability of connecting to ac, I know with my N600 at home my housemates laptops get terrible connection when I set the WiFi to ac from n.

athania

Les
Established Member
Les
0 Kudos

Ever since receiving and connecting my T-Gateway, I have had problems with it. On 3 out of 5 occasions the ADSL drops out when the landline phone rings. The T-Gateway will not automatically attempt to reconnect to the ADSL, so I have to always do a power reboot. I have a Telstra Long Range 9750BT cordless phone connected to the land line. I have spent the past six months trying to resolve this problem by speaking to the support people on the BigPond Internet side, as well as the support people on the Telstra Phone side.  Each side tries to pass off the problem to the other, and neither side will talk to each other about it. It is strange because there is a Telstra hybrid product called the T– Hub 2 which crosses over both areas. Who looks after this product?

Here is a list of checks and things I have done and been told to do by the tech support people, as well as things I have done on my own by reading various forums.

Line Filter

I have changed the line filters 3 times. I have checked that I am using the recommended model of filter. I made sure I used the filters that came in the box with the T-Gateway.

Disconnect Land Line

I disconnected the cordless phone from the land line and the problem disappeared. I connected an old corded phone for 2 weeks and did not suffer one drop out.

Turned Off Wi Fi

With the cordless phone reconnected, I then went into the T-Gateway’s URL and turned off the Wi Fi. The computers were connected via the Ethernet cables. Once again I did not have a single dropout under this configuration in 2 weeks.

Connected a Netgear Wi Fi Router

With the Cordless Phone connected to the land line, I then connected a Netgear Wireless router to the T-Gatewat via an Ethernet port, while leaving the Wi Fi turned off in the T-Gateway. This configuration worked flawlessly for 2 weeks.

Change Wi Fi Channel

So what I had done above proved to me there is a conflict with the two Telstra products; the T-Gateway and the Telstra Long Range 9750BT Cordless Telephone. When I told this to tech support, one suggestion was to change the channel in the T-Gateway. Under their instructions, I did that. However that did not stop the drop outs when the T-Gateway was put back to Wi Fi mode and the Cordless phone connected.

WHAT I HAVE DONE THAT IS WORKING

In total frustration I decided to try one final procedure. I collected up all the cordless telephone handsets and put them into the metal garden shed as far away from the house as I could so they would be out of range. I turned off the base station on the cordless phone. I then went to the T-Gateway and pushed the “DECT” button on the back to set the T-Gateway into pairing mode. After the “DECT” light stopped flashing orange while it was trying to pair with a DECT handset, it turned red and stayed on. This to me was an indication that it has failed to pair with a headset. I then turned on the cordless telephone base station and returned the cordless headsets into their charging cradles. It has been working like this now for 2 weeks without a single drop out.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW

I would like to know if there is any way of disabling telephony in the T-Gateway. The default is Telephony Enabled.  I live out in the country, so the NBN will not be coming to my neighbourhood in my lifetime. Therefore the telephony section of the T-Gateway is not going to be used. Even though the problem has been resolved, seeing the red light on the T-Gateway is annoying.

Thank you for your time.

Established Member
Luehmans
0 Kudos

We have been having trouble with our gateway since it was installed, its almost like its a network issue with it.

The internet onteh items connected via ethernet drop out constantly however the wireless seems ot be fine.

Even home sharing via itunes fails at times which makes me think its the ethernet ports on the gateway that are the issue.

The installer noticed the same thing when it was installed, it seemed to come and go via the ethernet cable but not the wireless. We have changed cables still no luck.....

Visitor
illusion
0 Kudos

The gateway is not what decides what file types get made available to the TBox, (MY MEDIA), instead this is controlled by Windows Media Player Sharing. 

On a side note if you want to send all extensions and file types to the tbox, (or other DLNA server), I have found XBMC to be far superior to Windows Media Player and have not found a file that can not be sent.

XBMC also allows the added functionality of DVD/Blueray direct playback from your pc DVD/Blueray drive to the TBox or other DLNA Server.

XBMC is also completely FREE

I have written a XBMC install guide for windows and also one for LINUX If anyone is interested please PM me, (if possible), I am only too happy send a copy. XBMC is also supported on APPLE so with this the TBox will support Windows Linux And Mac, (also ome mobile devices).

rexne1
0 Kudos

Hi Crowd Support, 

I've just received the new T-Gateway Modem.

I’m interested in using the WAN port on the new Gateway as I have already an existing Telstra Cable connection. So the question is, are there any limitations in using this ADSL 2 Router with my Telstra Netgear Cable modem connected to the WAN port and does the Router automatically use or load balance both connections ( Telstra ADSL 2+ and the Telstra 100Mb Cable) ? I may be asking this prematurely as I’ve only just received the modem and yet to review the config on the T-Gateway router. 

ishtarlight
0 Kudos

Hi, 

I am trying to establish printer connection through usb port at back and/or side of gateway. In your message there is a link for instructions on how to do this but the page won't load. I have a Fuji Xerox DocuPrint P255ddw and t-gateway TG797. Can you please direct me to step by step instructions on how to do this as there doesn't appear to be any that I can find. 

Thanks,

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Ishtarlight,

Try connecting via both USB ports, but the most important thing to remember is that you will still need to install the printer drivers and software on each computer/device.

- Shelly

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
>