Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Dfisher74
0 Kudos

Is it worthwhile getting new wiring to increase speed?

we're probably going to ge someone to come out and pu a new wall socket in as we don't like where the two we have are.

I'm thinking that might be a good opportunity to get the existing wiring into the house look at and possibly replaced. The two existing wall plugs look a bit wonky so I would think getting it all replaced should only improve my speeds, yes?

FYI the current speed I now get is around 5.5 mb/s max.

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F

Re: Is it worthwhile getting new wiring to increase speed?

Dfisher74 wrote:

we're probably going to ge someone to come out and pu a new wall socket in as we don't like where the two we have are.

I'm thinking that might be a good opportunity to get the existing wiring into the house look at and possibly replaced. The two existing wall plugs look a bit wonky so I would think getting it all replaced should only improve my speeds, yes?

FYI the current speed I now get is around 5.5 mb/s max.

Maybe, but Maybe not, no promises :smileyhappy:

Personally, if your going to get your wiring replaced, go and get your house smart wired :smileywink: It future proofs your house for the NBN.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you're going to get it smart wired don't cheap out with just straight cat5 cable, make sure to get a hills home hub or similar installed so you can get more than 4 rooms via ethernet :smileywink:

As Ben vaguely said there's no way to tell you off the bat whether you'd get a speed increase without knowing your modem stats and seeing line tests etc but while your speeds may or may not increase, they definately won't get worse.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Dfisher74
0 Kudos

Thanks.

i did have a look under the house, street connection is in main bedroom, second connection is the kitchen. It looked lik they were connected under the house by cheap long yellow cable similar to what you use inside a house to connect a phone. I know I get about 1mb/s extra from the bedroom, but don't want modem flashing away next to my bed!

FYI, modem stats below

Home 
Physical Connectivity OK
DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime:16 days, 14:02:38
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1.021 / 7.351
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/MB]:1,99 / 409,94
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12,2 / 19,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:26,0 / 41,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:7,0 / 5,6