Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

anthonythorne
0 Kudos

Sierra Wireless AirCard® 753S Mobile Hotspot OPEN NAT

Hi all,

I currently have Sierra Wireless AirCard® 753S Mobile Hotspot and I play Xbox Live 360 as one of the 5 users. Unfortunately my NAT setting is set to moderate so it takes me about 20-40min to search and enter a game. Im currently a student in IT Network administration, so I have a basic understanding of the sittuation, so Ive changed my settings of my modem to port forward to the certain ports to play xbox live. This is the way to open the NAT status, and it is sugested by Xbox live in there troubleshooting web site. The ports that I have tryed to forward to are 53UDP/TCT, 80 TCP, 88 UDP, and 3074 UDP/TCP.

to my prevaile this still doesnt work and I used the PFPortCheck software form www.portforward.com, tyhis software said the ports are not open.

My question is has any one had a similar problem?

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Also I read on a forum that your ISP (Telstra) can forward the ports, or open them up? can they actualy do something like that?

Thanks any help would be apreciated.

Anthony

Contributor
Pikey18
0 Kudos

Re: Sierra Wireless AirCard® 753S Mobile Hotspot OPEN NAT

Is it a prepaid wireless or on a plan? I only ask this because on Telstra prepaid you get a 10.x.x.x private address which Telstra has to NAT somewhere on their network.

anthonythorne
0 Kudos

It Is a plan, and it was defualt set to 10.0.0.138, I'm sure that most of the same model modems come pre set to that IP address.  I have changed it to the 192.168.20.200 due to personal prefferences. The NAT settings have been set to moderate scince Ive had this modem. and Ive only just changed the IP settings recently. Ive only just got back into gaming and thats why I have the need to fix the problem. I never had this problem when I lived in town onm an ADSL modem.

Ive even tryed resetting it to factory defaults and port forwarding the ports. still didnt work.

New Contributor
SuburbanMe

[ Edited ]

Ok, I got mine working last night, however I got a bit of lag - not sure if it's due to how I got it going.

I have contacted Sierra Wireless about this and am awaiting their response, but in the meantime try this.

Download a program called connectify.

Once you've downloaded that, you'll need to set it up to re-broadcast your wifi signal.

The settings I used are these:

Hotspot Name: Connectify-me
Password: *choose your own*
Internet: Wireless Network Connection

In the Advanced Box
Wi-Fi: Wireless Network Connection
Security ModeL Access Point, WPA2-PSK

------------------------------------------------------------------

After that hit the 'Start Hotspot' button, and set up and test your connection on the xbox. It should now say that your NAT is Open, and you can join games.

Just remember that this is NOT a perfect solution, but I was playing for 5hrs yesterday with a bit of lag. Finding games was very difficult (due to PING), but I could join games that friends were in.

I'm actively seeking a way to get this running better, but for now, this will get you gaming.

If you find out anything post it here and I'll do the same.

Luke (Ex Telstra Tech Employee)

anthonythorne
0 Kudos

Good temporary fix, I couldnt believe it opened my nat. It must be a problem with the modem firmware.

the only problem is that the lag makes it unplayable, I had one red bar in cod mod 3.  even though I got into a game in 2-3 min unstead of 20 -40 min I dont think it is a 100% solution. good to know that it must be the hardware or firmware and not telstra.

Thanks for the temp solution

New Contributor
SuburbanMe
0 Kudos

what's your xbox live ID - I'll add you to my list and when I'm on I'll get you into some decent games.

New Contributor
SuburbanMe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, Well last night I tried something different and removed the forwarded ports from the modem config. Then I tried connecting to red dead redemption (a game that was not connecting at all) - sure enough - first attempt - CONNECTION!!!

Will be testing it with COD today. Give it a try - it could be the answer as I had NO lag on RDR.

EDIT: Still connect through connectify though. So no forwarded ports in the ultimate setup, and re-broadcast the WiFi Signal through Connectify.

anthonythorne
0 Kudos

Xbox live is Demigod33, connecting is great with the connectify, only seconds to find a game. Just so laggy even with the ports closed I’m still only getting one red bar. All my products are wireless n (these features are activated).

I’m trying to think of new ideas, so I can’t get an open NAT through the Wifi modem but when I use connectify me as a tethering hotspot my NAT opens, so to me this means that the firmware or hardware of the wifi modem is faulty but if you have the same problem with yours than it mustn’t just be a one off, maybe its across all the Sierra Wireless AirCard® 753S Mobile Hotspot that have been manufactured. Just to double check is yours the exact same model?

so I wonder If I can get a router that picks up on the Wifi from the ISP Modem and re broad casts it like the connectify me does, and all my devices connect through the router with DHCP and the router contacts the  ISP Wifi modem to connect to the internet.

E.g. XboxàWifi Router à ISP Wifi Modem (hotspot) (Internet) instead of going

Xbox à Wifi Modem (hotspot) (Internet)

A big risk if I pay for something and don’t get a result.

Maybe I should contact Telstra and get them to resolve my issue, since there hardware is faulty.

I noticed sierra has the next model available, 755S and I’m wondering if Telstra has it on offer yet. Maybe these issues are resolved with the newer model.

I just don’t understand how they can have port forwarding options that don’t even work.

New Contributor
SuburbanMe

Hey man,

Sorry for the late reply - I didn't get a notification email telling me that you'd replied.

I just added you on Live - Same name as here.

I contacted Sierra Wireless to see if there was anyway of opening it up, and they said no. Only other way would be to contact bigpond and get them to open it up for you on their end - but I'm not even sure if they'll do it. Worth a shot though.

I've been playing Battlefield3 and the lag issue isn't too bad - I've found that more often than not I only really have issues laying the COD games. Maybe it's something to do with their servers? I have no idea.

I don't think the new sierra product will have this option fixed - I honestly think it's just that these modems aren't designed for gaming. Eh - no idea really - pretty silly if you ask me.

If you try contacting bigpond to open up the NAT let me know how you go. I'll msg you my email addy on LIVE.

Blastasaurus
0 Kudos

It's no good, Bigpond won't help you unless you're prepared to pay for assistance. I'm having the same trouble connecting my PS3. Phoned Telstra technical support to get them to open the ports from their end and he said that it was "outside his scope" and that i'd have to pay for "Telstra+" assistance to do that. My God, have they outsourced to monkeys? I said i shouldn't have to pay for such a basic service because it was something i've had them do before and that the supplied gateway is so limited, allowing only a few ports to be forwarded befor it comes up with an error. I was then told that i should go out and buy a better product.

Telstra have no interest in helping these days and i doubt they probably could if they wanted to. The fact of the matter is that the product is in no way suitable for online gaming. Even if it was, Telstra's Next G services are most likely just as unsuitable, but i will never know for sure as unable to access the service properly from my console and i'm unwilling to pay for someone to tell me what i already suspect.

The only reason i need internet at my house is for gaming, everthing else i do from my phone these days. Would have never signed up for this service otherwise. I've been misled. Thinking i should talk to an ombudsman.

GODSLAYER
0 Kudos

telstra+ have "no fix, no pay" setup. if u dnt get ur problem solved u dnt pay. course they dont pay u to go on the "automated system merry go round" do they :/

Occasional Visitor
pejamas
0 Kudos

SuburbanMe, you just saved my life! This has literally fixed all my issues.. Being on an Army base with horrible reception, i went from constant buffering on low quality streaming with foxtel on xbox to flawless streaming on high quality! thank you, thank you, thankyou! I spent a crazy amount of time trying to find a solution.
New Contributor
SuburbanMe
0 Kudos

Woah - a nice late reply on my behalf! haha

No worries champ - glad to help! I'm still having issues with my NAT in Games, but my foxtel on Xbox runs well through connectify too, so I know your relief.

Mr_Pepsi
0 Kudos

Unfortunately my friends, this is not an option any more unless you're willing to pay $25.00 per year or $40 for a lifetime subscription to this program. I am also having the same problem, being a formidible gamer. I cannot get my NAT type too even moderate to connect with my friends online. No-one seems to have any answers. :/

Pixel_Michael
0 Kudos

All the issues you all have been talking about I've had to I have the same modem and I can't open my nat as we'll and port forward doesn't work with me as we'll and port forwarders are useless please tell me if any one can help me with this issue