Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Visitor
Kalacha
0 Kudos

Technicolor TG587n v3 - How to Port Foward/ Open ports?

[ Edited ]

For the last 3 months I've been on and off trying to figure out how to correctly Port Foward this router. I've tried every guide on the internet including the 'Open NAT Type' guide, which worked with games such as MW3. I just want to find out how to manually open specific ports.

Trying to portfoward for games such as Terraria, Minecraft, Neverwinter Knights ect.

Help is very accreciated.
Kalacha 

EDIT: Once again tried to Portfoward and did everything perfectly but when checking the port in various port checking tools it failed. 

Honoured Contributor
Lathania

Re: Technicolor TG587n v3 - How to Port Foward/ Open ports?

Hi Kalacha,

Unfortunately as I've posted in the past port forwarding on these modems are very hit and miss. Your best bet for the open NAT type is to configure a DMZ mode in the modem for a specific device / IP, this generally works. However if you're attempting to host games over the internet for Minecraft etc you may need to invest in a modem / router to control the port forwarding.

Just as a little hint though, both Minecraft and Terraria work fine without port forwarding via freeware called 'Hamachi' by Logmein software.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

LittleManFromJp
0 Kudos

Hi

I've been trying to use Hamachi for some games as you suggested without having to port forward but I keep getting a blue connection. This is a very big issue as I keep getting severe lag or no connection at all to some games such as Minecraft, terraria etc. Do you have any solutions? Any help would be greatly appreaciated. 

Thanks

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

Sorry about the delay I've been on holidays.

When you say you've been getting lag in Terraria / Minecraft, bear in mind that if you are both hosting and playing then you do need both a good computer and at least ADSL+2 for the 1MB upload speeds and even then it will be patchy with more than 3 users (Minecraft) and its generally best if they're in the same country.

Terraria works pretty well with 4 international guests with the dedicated server on ADSL+2.

What do you mean by "blue" connection? Also to clarify, my above post was in regards to hosting with hamachi / joining someone else who is hosting with hamachi.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Valued Contributor
Juzman

Lathania wrote:
When you say you've been getting lag in Terraria / Minecraft, bear in mind that if you are both hosting and playing then you do need both a good computer and at least ADSL+2 for the 1MB upload speeds and even then it will be patchy with more than 3 users (Minecraft) and its generally best if they're in the same country.

I don't really game much, but I am guessing the connection from modem -> PC will affect it too (WiFi v Ethernet). Hosting games e.t.c. I am guessing it would be best to use a physical connection to avoid any packet loss.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only.

If I've helped you, please press the Kudos!

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Kalacha,

The best instructions I have found for port forwarding the Technicolor modems is here: 

Port Forwarding Technicolor Modems

I have done this on my home modem and my husband was successfully able to host Minecraft.

The trick is that you need to manually configure the ports required for each game.

Hope this helps

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
Telstra Products & Services Team
Telstra Products & Services Team
Chi

Kalacha wrote:

For the last 3 months I've been on and off trying to figure out how to correctly Port Foward this router. I've tried every guide on the internet including the 'Open NAT Type' guide, which worked with games such as MW3. I just want to find out how to manually open specific ports.

Trying to portfoward for games such as Terraria, Minecraft, Neverwinter Knights ect.

Help is very accreciated.
Kalacha 

EDIT: Once again tried to Portfoward and did everything perfectly but when checking the port in various port checking tools it failed. 

Kalacha,

If you are comfortable with making a telnet session to the TG587, then you could try the following to address the MW3 issue:

01. Open a Telnet session to 10.0.0.138
02. Login with user = admin  & password = (blank)

Once logged into the telnet session: copy the below and paste it into the telnet window and hit enter.

The gateway will do the rest.

:connection bind application CONE(UDP) port 69
:connection bind application CONE(UDP) port 88
:connection bind application CONE(UDP) port 1863
:connection bind application CONE(UDP) port 2300-2303
:connection bind application CONE(UDP) port 3074-3853
:connection bind application CONE(UDP) port 4658-4659
:connection bind application CONE(UDP) port 10070
:connection bind application CONE(UDP) port 16000
:connection bind application CONE(UDP) port 27900-27901
:upnp config onlydefault enabled
:saveall

New Contributor
gyro58
0 Kudos

Hi Shelly

Oh how cool is this, easiest way i've encounted to port foward. And yeah the method through the TG587n v3 is the same.

Thankyou

New Contributor
gyro58
0 Kudos

Hi Chi,

I think i replied to Shelly on this message to me. I'd just like to thank you, for opening to me, how to so easily portfoward. It has allowed me to set up every fowarding i need and so quickly.

regards

gyro58 (Slick)

Jaff
0 Kudos

Hi

I've tried this and it still doesn't seem to work for my Playstation 4. I still have NAT type 2.

Any other suggestions please?

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Jaff,

My search on the forums says that NAT 2 is what you want for playstations.

Perhaps have a look on the Playstation forum to see what others are doing: http://community.eu.playstation.com

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
Visitor
Sanwyn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey. Not sure if this helps now but I made a quick vid on youtube to show how to port forward for games. Hope it's useful.

tonza
0 Kudos

You got NAT Type-2?! How did you get that?! I'm unlucky enough to still be on Type-3!
Occasional Visitor
danielamorgan
0 Kudos

Too much Jargon for anyone to follow. DMZ?   A little in house.

I guess we've alll got to get our ITX certificates to follow?

KIS

Cheers,

Dan

ipcam
0 Kudos

Thanks for that amusing imformative video on port forwarding , it's too bad I'm too frustrated with port forwarding to appreciate it. :smileymad:

You see last time i set up a wireless IP camera I did have to mess around in the gateway but I managed to do it but now they've changed the way they do things and I can't get it. All my problems are with ports.

While I hung on every word in your video waiting for the all important selection of port range, you just skimmed over it and acted like I should know what ports I need to input....where do I find such information!?

My ip camera when I had it working was always IP:8080 and as long as every time the modem had to be turned off , which didn't happen often, I changed the IP to my computer's current non static IP then my webcam on my website worked fine.

I just want to know how to locate range of ports please someone.

Using a techview wireless ip camera and i know to connect with ethernet first and put in gateway wireless name and key- i have that much done as well as creating an app called funnily enough "ipcam" and now i am on the manual import of ports and don't FRIGGING know what ports!? I do know udp or whatever its called keeps failing.

ipcam
0 Kudos

Alright I finally got it working and in case anyone else like me is trying to set up an IPTECH ( not foscam) wireless outdoor camera so that it will play live on your website I will tell you what you have to do in telstra gateway settings. First of all FORGET the gaming /app section completely and forget the ports too. After you have your ip camera connected to wireless network to get it then play live on your website you need to go to devices and find your camera then click on it and then assign it public ip via the PPoedsl thing and VOILA it works- that was a nice waste of a few hours of my life.