Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Community Leader
Wanglese
0 Kudos

Technicolour Gateway Modem and Media Server

Pretty sure this is in the Media Server end of the modem, with the T-Box connected.

At odd times, the T-Box (even when streaming a slideshow or a video connected by Ethernet to the modem), loses connection to the Media Server on the Gateway. 

I get a message on the T-Box that suggests the media server on the Gateway is no longer available.

No logs entries on the Modem give me a clue - Hint to Telstra, I'd like better access to any logs on the Modem, or at least logs on the T-Box.

Not a biggy right now.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.

I'm an accredited "Telstra Hero", but I don't work for Telstra, I'm here purely voluntarily to help out others and any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Contributor
Tucker
0 Kudos

Re: Technicolour Gateway Modem and Media Server

yes ive just started using the media server and it does the exact same thing and bigpond tech support wont troubleshoot this at all :/

tom3rums
0 Kudos

My gateway modem works well, but know one at Telstra's technical support can tell me how the Media Server on my new TV works. Which is named ( Telstra Gateway Media Server ) and how to get moves, music and pictures from the computer to the folders on the media server within the TV.

.PS: I have [ Telstra Plus Support ] at a cost of $29.00 a month to help me with things like this but it seems to be a waste of money and time.

🐌

Community Leader
Wanglese

[ Edited ]

G'day and welcome to Crowdsupport Tom3Rums,

OK,  I assume you have turned ON the media server on the gateway, you must have in order for it to show up on your network.

On your Gateway content sharing screen, you need to enable the USB:

mediashot1.jpg

Now you don't need a managed partition (well, I don't, because I can browse)..

I've mounted this partition as drive Z in file explorer and copy files to the USB across the network.  You don't need to, because once you have mounted the USB on the Gateway and selected "manage partition", you will get a partition made (folders, actually) that will be labelled Movies, Pictures, and Music.

You can UNMOUNT the USB and put it back in the PC, and copy stuff to it.

CAVEAT - The Gateway does not share .mkv files properly, so if you put them on the USB, rename them to .avi files (they still work, .mkv is a container).

Now, ASSUMING your TV can see the media and actually play those kinds of files (try avi's, divx, ect for video, wma and mp3 for audio and jpg for pictures), when you put the USB back on the gateway (rear USB port),  you can go to the configure screen on the gateway Media sharing page:

mediashot2.png

Andselect the rebuild button. You may not need to do this, but it's there if you do.

Anyway,  I use the T-Box to stream from media (reduced to gray scale for size)

NOTE YOUR TV WILL LOOK DIFFERENT THAN THIS :

DSC_0035.png

Now, Browsing the T-Gateway:

DSC_0036.png

It should be obvious from there.  If your TV can browse the USB drive in the same way, you should be able to play media SUPPORTED BY YOUR TV.

Let us know how you go, or if you have difficulties.

I'm an accredited "Telstra Hero", but I don't work for Telstra, I'm here purely voluntarily to help out others and any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

andybh
0 Kudos

Hi I have recently set this up and ok now. Is there a way to have "Media" folder to arrive first. Currently "Browse Folders" is the first. I just want to save a few clicks.

Established Member
theningman
0 Kudos

Why do we have to place files on a USB device that is connected to the T-Gateway? How do I share files through the T-Gteway that are located on my PC like most other modem/gateway devices??

Community Leader
Wanglese

You don't. If your Pc is in the same network as your other devices it works the same as "most other modem/gateway devices". make.sure.you have stupid your pc in the same workaround for instance, or you have configured.your pc.correctly. Serviio or plex media server will do the job nicely.