Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Inspector
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Technicolour T Gateway Not Connecting to Internet.

Have just upgraded Bundle plan and as a result have been issued with at TG797n V3 modem router which replaced a 2701 HGV-W Telstra modem.  I have connected the new modem according to the CD and was asked to log on to my Big Pond account which I did sucessfully.  The requisite lights appear when it is fired up including the "internet" light but there is no internet connection and it shows "Local Connection Only".   I have also tried it with the ethernet cable with the same result.  If I re-connect the 2701 modem, it re-connects to the internet with no problems. 

I connect to the line though an extension from the Home Phone line in another room.  The phone is connected to the line through an in-line filter which has two connections, one to the line and one to the phone. The one with the new modem has one for the phone,one for the line and one for the modem.  Don't think this has anything to do with it though.  I have tried just plugging the modem into the line without the phone with no change to the results.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Re: Technicolour T Gateway Not Connecting to Internet.

Hi Inspector,

I recommend replacing the filters with the ones that came with the new modem.  This following link contains information regarding the filtering of your equipment:  http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

Check that the telephone cable is connected into the DSL port on the modem, and also when configuring the username inside the modem, the correct option to configure is the PPPoE-DSL.

Let me know how you go.

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
Inspector
0 Kudos

hi there,

Because the extension which I use is hardwired from the phone outlet to another phone outlet in another room (installed by Telestra or contractor when the house was built) it is not possible to use the supplied filter/splitter.  That is why when ADSL 2+ was first connected about 3.5 years ago I was told by Bigpond to purchase an in-line filter.   That filter has been in use ever since with no problems.  An isolation test has been performed with no positive results.  The "internet" light on the gateway is showing  a connection to the internet but there does not appear to be a connection between the gateway and my laptop via wi-fi.  The wi-fi shows excellent wireless reception so it appears that the configuration of the gateway and/or my laptop isn't allowing the connection although during set-up the procedure can access my Bigpond Account for confirmation of access.

I don't know enough to "configure the modem to PPPoE-DSL" but it appears that is how it is configured.  I'm just trying to connect using the CD that came with the modem.  Really a set-up shouldn't be made to be this hard.

I have noticed that after the set-up has verified my acccount, the laptop shows that I have both Local and Internet connection.  However when I attempt to access the internet through my browser, the connection reverts to "Local" only.  This disconnection to the internet also occurs when I restart the computer as requested by the CD.

Again, as soon as I re-connect  the 2701HGV-W modem that was previously installed I get instant connection the the internet so it is obviously something to do with the configuration of the new modem or it's set-up.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra

Hi Inspector,

Could you try the following steps and let me know the results?

Factory default the Technicolor modem:

- access the modem interface http://10.0.0.138

- select Technicolor Gateway from the left hand menu 

- click on the link under Pick a Task where it says "Reset my Technicolor Gateway"

- click the button marked "Yes, reset my Technicolor Gateway"

Once the modem has restarted you will then need to configure the modem with your BigPond account details

- access the modem interface http://10.0.0.138

- click on Broadband Connection from the left hand menu

- click on the Disconnect button in the PPPoEDSL section then "View More"

- enter your BigPond username and password

- click on connect

Once connected try browsing to http://go.bigpond.com/home/ and 61.9.172.37

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
Inspector
0 Kudos

Thanks Shelly, that did the trick.

The Inspector