Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Visitor
Trippa
0 Kudos

Turn off NAT on a Technicolor TG587n v3

[ Edited ]

Hi all, 1st post here and I'm having frustrating trouble...

I excitedly went out out and got the new MW3 game for PC, it plays fine but has a lot of lag, I enabled Steam games in applications and game sharing, and selected 'yes' for Use UPnP.

The game gives me a message when I connect to the server that tells me my NAT settings are set to strict. I called bigpond support for a walk through on disabling my NAT, and the fella said this to me "Sir, unfortunatly, this is out of my skill range but I can forward your call to our primium Tech service. There is a Fee which will be added to your next bill at a cost of $99"..... WTF? That's a seperate issue

I just want to have an open NAT on my Technicolor TG587n v3, has anyone else been successful with this?

Tayza_13
0 Kudos

Re: Turn off NAT on a Technicolor TG587n v3

I have the same problem but on ps3. I called the premium tech service but they were no help at all, all i got from them was we cant help you call the maker of the game, which i did and they said call you ip

After more talking with telstra people someone said to me that i have to wait until an update come out for the modem. first iv heard a modem needs update
Benchm4rk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem when i tried playing Modern Warfare 3 on Xbox Live. Could not connect to games at all and when i called Telstra they couldnt help and neither could there premium techs lol. They told me to buy a different modem.

Good news is i didnt give up and i worked it out myself. If you wanna know HOW TO OPEN NAT ON THE TG587N V3 MODEM send me an email at <removed> and ill do my best to reply with a guide on how to do it.

Moderator Edit: Personal Information Removed

Occasional Contributor
add1n1

[ Edited ]

To get an open NAT on the Thomson/Technicolour modems you need to bind the ports to the cone firewall in order for uPnP to work.

Reason that this is broken is since telstra doesn't use the default ip range 192.168.1.254 for these modems.

Install telnet:

1. Open Control Panel
2. Go into Programs
3. In Programs and Features there should be a section that says "turn windows features on or off"
4. Click "turn windows features on or off" and check the box beside Telnet Client
5. Click OK

or:

download puttytel:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Bind the ports to the firewall through telnet:

1. Open Run [win + r] enter cmd
2. Enter: telnet 10.0.0.138
3. Enter username: admin
4. Enter password: (leave blank and press enter)
5. Copy and paste the following command lines one at a time and press enter after pasting each:

:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3074-3075
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478-3479
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3658
:saveall

6. Close the telnet session
7. Turn router off for 1 minute, then power on

This doesn't leave a hole in your firewall, just allows upnp to trigger the ports open.

wallace
0 Kudos

i did wat u said now i cant talk to ppl on xbox live WTF?

wallace
0 Kudos

how do i un do it? do i just put connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=3658 n so on?

DZA
Occasional Contributor
DZA
0 Kudos

You Sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

I used to have the Thompson T782t or whatever it's called and Telstra recently sent me out the Technicolor TG587 and of course my NAT settings in MW3 on PS3 were reverted to Strict (As you would expect)

After using your detailed instructions it is now open once again thanks to your kind self.

This is exactly the same telnet instructions (slightly modyfied for 587) that I used last time and didnt have any chat issues with PS3.

I'm hoping this will be the same.

I'll let you know if not :smileywink:

Thanks once again, bloody legend!!

Occasional Contributor
add1n1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wallace, to remove these settings you need to factory reset your modem [button on the back].

Since you are using an Xbox just apply the command for port 3074.

- do not use 3074-3075

- leave all the rest

Occasional Contributor
add1n1
0 Kudos

DZA, the TG782t is a better modem [better build quality and components], I'd use it over the 587.

The 782t has very strong wireless G range and is good enough for adsl2+ connections.
You'd only need to use the 582 if your file sharing over the wireless.
veneimas666
0 Kudos

dont know what im doing wrong this doesnt work for me

veneimas666
0 Kudos

put in mw2 when u go on line and it says nat open, eject the game and put in mw3 and hey presto nat open
Telstra Thought Leader
Gareth
0 Kudos

add1n1 wrote:

3. Enter username: admin
4. Enter password: (leave blank and press enter)

Or enter your customised username and password if you have changed your modem access credentials (the 0.01% of the population).

Collector
rancid13
0 Kudos

Hey i've got the TG587n v3 + PS3 also and nothing is working. Cone binding doesn't work, heck even on mw2 im strict so i cant even do the disc swap. Please help, i upgraded to this modem to get a better connection and it's just as bad =(

DZA
Occasional Contributor
DZA
0 Kudos

Now mine has gone back into STRICT after doing everything THAT WORKED on this thread.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Contributor
Pete15

Mine did the same after telstra released a firmware update. Fixed it by re entering the telnet stuff and turning off UPnP

New Contributor
marc
0 Kudos

did u turn upnp off on modem or ps3 ? 

Occasional Visitor
awesomeguy
0 Kudos

what is the default password, i forgot and i need it

Contributor
Pete15

Turned UPnP off in the modem. Also I turned media sharing off in the PS3 but I dont think that has anything to do with this.

DZA
Occasional Contributor
DZA
0 Kudos

It worked!! You rock Pete! Cheers big ears!
New Contributor
marc
0 Kudos

thanks pete 4 reply..just wondering if it would work by just turning upnp off and not doing that telnet stuff ? 

Contributor
Pete15
0 Kudos

I would try turning off UPnP first. If that doesn't work just follow these steps http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1739702

DZA
Occasional Contributor
DZA
0 Kudos

It worked for me only turning UPNP off. Give it a go.

Established Member
Craig81
0 Kudos

How do you turn off the UPNP on the modem?

Established Member
Craig81
0 Kudos

never mind, found it!

Occasional Visitor
hishy
0 Kudos

How do you turn off the UPNP on the modem?

I cant find it please help guys

Also I follow the instructions twice to get ny NAT type open and it did not open =(

**bleep** this modem my Belkin was so much better

Established Member
Craig81
0 Kudos

Go to Toolbox, Game and Application Sharing, then up in the top right hand side of the page will be Overview/Configure.  Cligk on configure and uncheck your boxes.

jaxtana
0 Kudos

Thanx mate i've been trying to fix this problem since mw2 was released years ago. I done the port stuff but didnt work but now with having the upnp turned off after doing the port stuff I finally have an open nat type on mw3 ........ THANK YOU :smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
giancar
0 Kudos

removed, please need to know how open NAT on my TG587N, THANK YOU

giancar

AlmasKarmaChild
0 Kudos

hello there yeah im have problems with my nat settings on mw2 its coming up strict now i have same modem as you have i want to know how to open my nat settings for ps3 thanks shawn

Honoured Contributor
Lathania

I had a similar issue with my Xbox 360 on the TG782T which has more or less the same interface, I'd personally reccomend assinging your PS3 or other device a static IP and then setting that same IP up for DMZ in your modem. Its under "Assign a Public IP to a device" on these modems.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Collector
rancid13
0 Kudos

Lathania thanks for the input. how do you set said ip up for DMZ? what steps did you take to get it to work?

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

Hey Rancid,

Unfortuantely I'm unable to show you the exact screenshots as I don't have the modem and I can't find it. I checked for the TG582n and its definately in Devices > Assign a Public IP under  "Pick a Task". You'll have to wing it after that but from memory its fairly self explanitory. Sorry I can't be of more help.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Antonion_98
0 Kudos

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!! I ACTUALLY CANT BELIEVE IT WORKED!!!! I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

Was that at my solution Antonion? If so you're welcome :smileywink:

athania

jamesrocky
0 Kudos

Hi Please Send Me Your Email

jamesrocky
0 Kudos

PleaSe Help

shipley
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have tried inputting the commands one at a time but this message pops up:

"Bad value for parameter 'application=CONE(UDP)port' Unknown command"

please help ; ; 

shergilltelstra
0 Kudos

dude turn on your UPNP from your routers homepage and enable on your xbox

Occasional Visitor
mw3opennathelp
0 Kudos

ok i managed to do the telnet thing and **bleep**, then put those codes in then turn my wifi off, then after that it didnt work,

but then i went on my laptop and went onto my technicolor gateway by typing my IP adress into the html bar on google chrome then all i did was went to game and application sharing in tool box, then configure then turn off upnp and extended sucurity then apply then also assign a game or appliction to it then all you have to do is go to ur ps3 information find MAC address and find it in the device section in oyur technicolor tab mine looks like this: 

Telnet ServerUnknown-a8-e3-ee-73-49-acOff

now turn ur ps3 off and playy changes on ur laptop/desktop and turn back on then walla you have open, trust me i have been waiting ages and i just tried it and it worked:smileytongue:

Collector
rancid13
0 Kudos

telnet codes and turning off upnp would've opened it, no need for the other stuff

Visitor
cfarrell
0 Kudos

I have tried your suggestions, however still had no success in joining a multi player host. I use windows 7 with adsl and tg587n v3. could you give me anymore advise on how to open my nat type please. 

Collector
rancid13
0 Kudos

read post 4 of this thread, follow it then enter your 10.0.0.138 into taskbar, click Toolbox, Game & Application Sharing, Configure and disable Upnp

Turn everything off and on and you'll have open nat - what you might also have are drop outs every 5 - 10 - 30 minutes where the modem reboots itself.. so.. do this at your own risk

firemanpek
0 Kudos

i have done everything that has been suggested. I had to re-enable upnp though, because with it disabled, the nat type was 3 and disconnected me from PSN.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I have done all the telnet codes, port forwarding and tried upnp also advance security is disabled

any suggestions thomson tg587n v3

If i decide to buy another modem...any suggestions on that too?..Thanks in advance....Damo

delzinho

[ Edited ]

hopefully this works for everyone....i have solved it....

Firstly make sure your PS3 is on.

Then go to your laptop/desktop computer.

Open your Internet Explorer, google chrome...etc.

Enter your default modem ip in the address bar usually 10.0.0.138

This should then open your modem/router menu..

Firstly make sure your PS3 is active and connected to your modem by clicking home network....then clicking on PS3, NOTE: mine shows up as PS3 because i have changed the name manually, if you havent done this it will show up as an unknown device...the easiest way to identify it is to make sure its the only thing except your computer that is connected to your modem/router.

Once we click on the ps3 device we will see some info regarding the connection...then we click configure in the top right...then we have to give the PS3 a static IP by checking the box: Always use the same IP address.

Before we apply we will go down to connection sharing and select XBOX LIVE from the drop menu, then click add on the right.

Once added we click apply just above that....

Turn off PS3....

Restart modem and once reconnected online, turn on PS3, fire up MW3, FIFA 12...etc and your nat type should now be open.....hopefully.

Hope this helps anyone having trouble.

Collector
rancid13
0 Kudos

yeah, i've tried that, didn't work >.<

Telstra Products & Services Team
Chi
0 Kudos

All,

A fix has been identified.  It is currently going through the internal evaluation and regression tests, before updates will get released to all TG587 gateways.

Again, thank you for the patience.

Regards,

Chi

southaussie
0 Kudos

Firstly make sure your PS3 is active and connected to your modem by clicking home network....then clicking on PS3, NOTE: mine shows up as PS3 because i have changed the name manually, if you havent done this it will show up as an unknown device...the easiest way to identify it is to make sure its the only thing except your computer that is connected to your modem/router.

Once we click on the ps3 device we will see some info regarding the connection...then we click configure in the top right...then we have to give the PS3 a static IP by checking the box: Always use the same IP address.

Before we apply we will go down to connection sharing and select XBOX LIVE from the drop menu, then click add on the right.

Turn off PS3....

Restart modem and once reconnected online, turn on PS3, fire up MW3, FIFA 12...etc and your nat type should now be open.....hopefully.

yeah thanks mate this worked great for me

Chi
0 Kudos

southaussie wrote:

Firstly make sure your PS3 is active and connected to your modem by clicking home network....then clicking on PS3, NOTE: mine shows up as PS3 because i have changed the name manually, if you havent done this it will show up as an unknown device...the easiest way to identify it is to make sure its the only thing except your computer that is connected to your modem/router.

Once we click on the ps3 device we will see some info regarding the connection...then we click configure in the top right...then we have to give the PS3 a static IP by checking the box: Always use the same IP address.

Turn off PS3....

yeah thanks mate this worked great for me

Hi southaussie,

Could you PM me so that I could provide some details, which may be addressing this issue?

I am preparing some FAQ's for the wider community, which will be posted once approved.

Regards,

Chi

Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware-KB/Technicolor-TG582n-TG587nV3/ta-p/65484

Chi, please refer to the above. I've posted about this several times and use it myself at home.

athania

Collector
rancid13
0 Kudos

what delzinho said does work and it's super easy. pretty much what your confusing thing says Lathania =P

difference between this and telnet is this way i can actually host games - not sure if that's a good thing or not because being host often has more lag. telnet way the NAT is open but cannot host. when i say host i mean host the whole game, both ways you can host a party and join friends.
just something to think about

>