Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

kbr
kbr
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Where to find ADSL modem Wifi password

I am trying to set up my iPhone 4 to Wifi at home using my ADSL 2.  During setup it asks for a password.  I have tried my usual Bigpond password to no avail.  I checked out some forums and read that Telstra often put the passwords on the base of the modem.  Under my modem there was a "WEP (hex)" a "WPA PSK" and a "WIRELESS PIN".  I tried the wireless PIN and that didn't work either.

Finally I rang Telsra's technical help.  The assistant really didn't seem to know what I was talking about and finally said she would text me the password on my (non-telstra) mobile.  The text never arrived.

Can anyone help?

Community Leader
Drat

Re: Where to find ADSL modem Wifi password

I am trying to set up my iPhone 4 to Wifi at home using my ADSL 2.  During setup it asks for a password.

That would typically be the WPA2 passphrase (or ‘password’ or ‘PSK’).

The assistant really didn't seem to know what I was talking about and finally said she would text me the password on my (non-telstra) mobile.  The text never arrived.

It's unlikely that she can know the WPA2 passphrase set up on your wireless router to send it to you.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Community Manager
DanK
0 Kudos

Re: Where to find ADSL modem Wifi password

[ Edited ]

Hi kbr, welcome to the forum.

If you are using one of our Thompson / Technicolour modems then you might find the FAQ below useful;

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/updating-the-ssid-and-wpa-key-in-the-thomson-and-technico...

On our new modems and the previous model the SSID and key for your wifi network was printed on the bottom label, however if the password has been changed since you setup the service this would no longer be valid.

If you are using a different device, please let us know the model so that I can find appropriate instructions for you.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Frequent Visitor
rbesdansky3
0 Kudos

Re: Where to find ADSL modem Wifi password Technicolor TG582n

I am trying to change my WiFi password/Wireless key because I think someone's using my network. When I try to change it, it asks for a Username & Password. I enter admin and the SN (serial number) from my modem but it says the details are wrong. (I have matched the case)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Contributor
BMac
0 Kudos

Hi rbesdansky3

90% of modems use 'admin' for username and 'admin' for the password, or failing that 'admin' for username and 'password' for password.  By default the TG582n (or half the BigPond modems for that matter) don't have a admin user/pass setup on it, if someone has done it (or changed the default password) you'll need to factory reset the modem (usually a button or a hole which you'll need a pin/pen for, usually reset is done for about 5-10 seconds), this will wipe the modem settings and allow you to reconfigure it again.

Hope this helps.

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post :smileyhappy:
Occasional Visitor
Michelle412
0 Kudos

My mother (read: computer novice beyond words!) is also having password problems for her modem - that is, she doesnt know it, but has now purchased a wireless printer and also tablet, obviously asking for her wifi details.

If she resets her Speedstream modem - what will that result in, what would be the next steps?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas provided