Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

blurg64
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Windows 8.1 RTM - Technicolor TG587n v3 DNS Issues

Hi,

I am curious to know if any other Telstra users with the Technicolor TG587n v3 are seeing bizarre DNS issues with Windows 8.1 RTM. There seems to be a problem with the Telstra supplied model and 8,1 where DNS lookups are failing or intermittent. 

I have tried 8.1 RTM on other routers without issue. I have tried Win8 RTM builds on the Technicolor without issue. Just seems to be 8.1 

Anyone else seeing this?

Valued Contributor
Juzman

Re: Windows 8.1 RTM - Technicolor TG587n v3 DNS Issues

blurg64 wrote:

Anyone else seeing this?

I installed 8.1 RTM on one of my laptops the other week. I haven't seen any strange issues at all, network seems to be working fine with all devices connected. Have you tried defaulting the router, or manually assigning the DNS on the Windows 8.1 machine?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only.

If I've helped you, please press the Kudos!

Azreil
0 Kudos

Hi, 

I have the exact same problem, I have been trying to narrow it down but it happens regardless of browser or connection type (wired or wireless).

I seem to be able to temporarily fix if its happening by running "ipconfig /flushdns" but its not really a solution. Will try the Telstra DNS which is correct on the router specified on the machine today and see if there is any improvement.

Its doesnt just affect internet browsing, all internet traffic is affected.

Thanks

Occasional Visitor
dwissa

Hi there,

I've been frustrated by this exact problem for a while now since Windows 8.1 preview and also in RTM and it also appears to be specific to this particular WiFi network using the technicolour router. I did not test on many other WiFi's but on my WiFi over 4G everything works fine.

After a lot of playing around I tried changing the network adapter settings from using the obtain DNS automatically option to use the explicitly specified one instead and so far all looks good but it's only been an hour or so since I did this change. If you want to try the same thing to see if it helps see your corresponding DNS server IP address here https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/dns-settings-for-accessing-bigpond

Please let me know if this helps you as I'm curious to know if this seems like proper way to fix this issue for now

Occasional Visitor
Kez_Bray
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue using Win8.1 on Telstra /NBN  with Technicolor TG587n. No other devices on my network have the have the issue

I changed my dns to look at 8.8.8.8  (Google DNS) on the win 8.1 machine and no further issue experienced

At least I am now working. The Technicolor TG587n Router is stil pointing a Telstra DNS Server 

Hope this helps

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have passed this feed back through to the engineering team for this product to see if a solution can be identified.

Once I have an update I will pass this on. 

Please note: if you are using DNS settings other than BigPond, this may affect unmetered usage on your account.

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
Azreil
0 Kudos

Confirming that so far manual DNS on your local connection seems to resolve the issue.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Thank you for raising this issue with us, I have the results of the investigation which is as follows:

Investigations have identified an incompatibility between Windows 8.1 (releasing 18/10/2013) and the 10.x series of Technicolor Firmware (TG587n V3 & TG797n V3).  

The issue relates to the way that Windows 8.1 performs DNS lookups, which differs from all previous versions of Windows OS. This change has exposed a timing/race condition bug within the Technicolor gateway firmware, and results in some webpages failing to load. 

To rectify this issue, Technicolor have identified a temporary workaround that can be applied via our remote management system. The delivery of this fix is currently being trialled for deployment next week. Technicolor have engineered a firmware fix that will be incorporated in the next maintenance release.

Alternative workarounds are also available by manually configuring the public DNS servers within the Windows device to resolve this issue.

This has also raised this with Microsoft who are also investigating this issue.

Note: Netgear modems supplied by BigPond do not appear to be affected by this. 

[Edit: received confirmation that modems will be able to receive the fix regardless of if registered on http://register.bigpond.com/adsl.do] 

Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

blurg64
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update Shelly. 

Looking foward to seeing the update in the next week or so :smileyhappy: 

andrew_whitby
0 Kudos

So i have tried to alter my DNS to both the above mentioned (through networking, on the WIN8.1) PC but no luck, i just get an '... is not a valid IP address' error.

So anyone got any more ideas ?

Because currently the only computer I have is a Windows 8 P.C.

New Contributor
kururunfa2x

[ Edited ]

Try this,

Look for my response: Kururunfa

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/webpage-cant-be-displayed/fcb...

It solved my connection  problems with 8.1

emd
emd
0 Kudos

Thank you! Your solution worked for me.

Occasional Visitor
uklad77
0 Kudos

hi there - same issues for me using bigpond. i updated to 8.1 on sat 19 oct. for now changing dns to 8.8.8.8 (back up 8.8.4.4) has worked however pls can yuo advise once the firware upgrade has been applied to all Technicolor TG587n v3 routers. will this be done this week and how will we know its been done?   thanks......

New Contributor
kururunfa2x
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

changing DNS to the Bigpond DNS also works.

Since it seems to be a worldwide problem, it must be some issue with Win8.1,

it should work with the existing router firmware as it worked with Win 8.

MierMoto
0 Kudos

Hi Shelly,

Is there somewhere we can get instructions to follow?  I'm just concerned with your earlier comment about losing the unmetered data usage if we set it up wrong.

zoszos68
0 Kudos

MierMoto wrote:

Hi Shelly,

Is there somewhere we can get instructions to follow?  I'm just concerned with your earlier comment about losing the unmetered data usage if we set it up wrong.

Untill you get an answer from a Telstra emploee try this.

Go to network and sharing center from the control panel and on the left side click change adaptor setting then right click the adaptor and choose properties.

Now scroll down and doulble click on internet protocol version 4.

Now on the next windows that appears tick set  dns server address automaticaly.

Now in the the boxes below you have to dype in the dns address of wither telstra in your state (if it works free sites will remain for sure) or you can use googles which is 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4..

The change will only affect Windows 8.1 so T-boxes mobile phones (except maybe Windows phones) will remain the same.

Hope that helps or a more official reply comes from Telstra.

kevin

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra

Hi all,

zoszos68 has this right, but for those still having difficulties, try these instructions.

Change DNS settings to Google DNS in Windows 

- Open Control Panel  
- Click Network and Internet  
- Network and Sharing Center  
- Click Change Adapter Settings.
- right click over the network connection and click on Properties

Ethernet connection = Local Area Connection
wiFi connection = Wireless Network Connection

- Select the Networking tab
- click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click on the Properties button
- click on Advanced and select the DNS tab. 

If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and delete them.  

- Click OK.

For Google Public DNS, select Use the following DNS server addresses below :-

Preferred DNS server  : 8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS server  : 8.8.4.4

MierMoto
0 Kudos

Excellent!

Cheers Kevin.  Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, but I didn't have internet  :smileyvery-happy:

All sorted now.  Just need to wait for the new update to the drivers, but this will do me for the time being.

Thanks also to Shelly.  Much appreciated.

Visitor
MBOConnell
0 Kudos

dwissa solution in the first page also worked for me and negates the issue of having to use googles DNS settings. 

Cheers, Matt

Contributor
gregoryopera

So there's a firmware update coming in a week?

Will this be an automatic update, or will it require user intervention?

How come the (BigPond) help desk are not aware of this issue?

I've spent all week on the phone to no avail, and tomorrow we have learned technicians coming out for the second time because the problem *might* be faulty wires at our premises...

If I get charged for these technicians because your help desk is not aware of these issues and/or has neglected to pass on this, oh I don't know, kind of important information, look out!

*Thinks out loud*

How hard is it for the left hand to talk to the right?
Contributor
gregoryopera
0 Kudos

Corrections:
*Telstra technicians coming out for the second time...
*Because the (BigPond) help desk think the problem might be faulty wires at our premises (though the first technician visit and my industry experience suggest this is highly unlikely)...
Frequent Visitor
randomhat
0 Kudos

any more news on this problem ?
Contributor
gregoryopera
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The firmware update is available, though you will need to apply it manually via a specific URL (address)... You just punch the URL (address) in, login to BigPond and the modem/router does the rest. Unfortunately I don't have that URL (address) as neither of browsers are set to keep their history. Unsurprisingly the help desk had not heard of this issue (nor the technicians that came to our house), but when I argued the point, telling them it was all over the CrowdSupport forums with comments from Telstra staff, they "miraculously" found information relating to the issue and the (now available) firmware update. Anyway, hit them up for the URL (address)... It's seems to have worked for us (though the Internet is still ridiculously slow here in the "Top End"!). If I can remember the URL (address), I'll post it for you... [b][i] Edit: The address is: http://register.bigpond.com/adsl.do Go there, sign-in and follow the bouncing ball, the modem/router should do the rest... Even though it says it's restarting your modem/router, I found it didn't truly "fix" the problem until I manually restarted my modem/router (give it 10-15 minutes though, just to make sure the firmware update has downloaded and installed properly). [/b][/i]
LeighAlexander
0 Kudos

Does anyone have the URL for the firmware update yet.   I too have been on the phone to tech support who also deny they have any information on the problem, only they couldn't even confirm there was a firmware update.    I starting to get really frustrated with the lack of information being given about this issue, a number of people I know have the same problem and not one person has found anyone from any tech support service (telstra, microsoft, manufacturer) who will give them a straight answer about how to fix it beyond the temporary fix of manually setting the DNS settings, if they can get someone to even confirm there is an issue beyond user error in the first place..... Seem like poor form alround to me...

Contributor
gregoryopera

[ Edited ]
http://register.bigpond.com/adsl.do There you go chief. Login, follow the bouncing ball and the modem/router will do the rest... It says the modem/router is restarted automatically, though I found I had better results after I manually restarted it (give it 5-10 minutes first though, just to make sure the firmware update has downloaded and installed correctly).
adsjc
0 Kudos

After following that URL, my router still shows 10.3.T.M as the software release... but it seems to of done the job!
adsjc
0 Kudos

Arrrr, spoke too soon. nothing has changed for me. :smileysad:

LeighAlexander
0 Kudos

Followed the link, nothing happened for me either...

Established Member
slipmat
0 Kudos

Hi

For anyone interested the bug results in addresses resolving to IP's in the 192.18.1 network which happens to be configured on the router's dns server:

spoof ip        : 198.18.1.0

Glad I found this, will be applying the update as soon as I reset my bigpond password... meh

Contributor
gregoryopera
0 Kudos

LeighAlexander wrote:

Followed the link, nothing happened for me either...

How strange - a couple of days after doing that and our Internet is still working fine again... Admitedly it's slow as can be, but for the "Top End", that's nothing out of the ordinary.

Aside from the appaling speeds up here though, it's working exactly as it did before...

adsjc
0 Kudos

Okay after going to that URL it seemed to fix it, then it was broken again.

But now it seems to be working fine!

Firmware version still 10.3.T.M

Established Member
slipmat
0 Kudos

Couldn't log in to http://register.bigpond.com/adsl.do so I had the helpdesk reset my password - reset for my ADSL service only not this register page.

Helpdesk was stumped, escalated to supervisor, never seen it before. Any ideas or specific instructions for the helldesk to get the update to my modem?
Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra

Hi All,

I can confirm that ADSL customers with the TG797 and TG587 should now have the update. NBN customers with these modems should have the update sent through this week.

If you are still experiencing difficulties, please restart your modem and try again 5 minutes after it has restarted.

Visitor
Rafal
0 Kudos

Do I have to change DSN adress? . Now is 8.8.8.8 . What is new DSN adress?

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Rafal,

Return the DNS to obtain automatically.

zoszos68
0 Kudos

I'ts not working for me.

I still have to set the dns manually. So what is the firmware number I should have and how do I get it updated.

Would be nice to have it fixed,

Kevin

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

zoszos68,

There is no firmware version change. 

After you returned the modem to obtain automatically and restarted the modem, did you give it a few minutes before testing?

Let me know how you go.

zoszos68
0 Kudos

It is working now.

I had to disable my network card (ethernet) wait 20 seconds and then enable it again.

My network card sometimes wont let full speed through it (well I hope it just the card and I do have another brand modem I can try to be sure)..

Kevin

Established Member
slipmat
0 Kudos

Wow. I'm convinced the update screwed my gateway.

Restarted this morning only to find my internets were broke - this time DNS was good but I could only get HTTPS traffic through the gateway - anything HTTP would elicit a RST-ACK from the stupid thing. I'd like to see the helpdesk fix that lol

For anyone else with the same issue, a factory reset appears to have fixed everything. For now...

zoszos68
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If your only getting HTTPS traffic through try making sure the web browsing interception on the modem is enabled or automatic.

For some reason on some versions of the firmware it will cause HTTPS traffic to only work when it is disabled.

I manage to have it off now so I'm lucky.

Hopefully this is the problem yup have.

Edit I re read your post and realised you reset the modem so most likely the browsing interception is back on now.

It's easy to test by disabling the web browsing interception then try the web then put it back on and try again.

Why oh why Technicolor don't test things properly is beyond me.

Kevin

Contributor
gregoryopera
0 Kudos

zoszos68 wrote:

Why oh why Technicolor don't test things properly is beyond me.

Kevin

The real question is why oh why do Telstra use the cheapest modem/routers money can buy?

Once upon a time, ISPs would give their customers decent modem/routers... Admitedly they were the cheaper models, but they were from reputable manufacturers (NETGEAR, etc...).

The last three or four modems Telstra have provided their customers though, have been absolute rubbish with no end to the problems... Heck with regards to the TG979 (or whatever it is) we have now, I'm on about my 8th or 9th modem/router (literally!) and the "old" Telstra gateway (can't remember the model number) was just as bad - we went through about 15 or 20 of those by the time I upgraded the modem/router!

The argument is saving money... But when hardware faults jump a few hundred (or perhaps even a few thousand!) percent, one must really ask if it is worth the cost cutting when technical support, customer satisfaction and loyalty are all taken into account.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Just an update to advise that this update has now been pushed through for all NBN customers using the T-Gateway. If you are still experiencing difficulties, please turn the modem off and back on again, then waiting a few minutes before testing.

Visitor
Rortmanns
0 Kudos

I previously had issues with my 797 version of the router, I just changed DNS to big pond DNS in win 8.1. I also had issue with my rioter locking up overnight, that has become worse recently, I have needed to restart my router yesterday and today. Could this be due to the router update, note I'm on NBN wireless?
Established Member
slipmat
0 Kudos

So I bounced the modem last night and reverted DNS settings to DHCP on an 8.1 PC. Lo and behold I'm still getting bogus DNS replies, what's worse is the HTTP interception broke stuff again.

Re the HTTP intercept, it was DISABLED in the router UI and I only had success enabling and re-disabling if that makes any sense. It doesn't to me, and speaks volumes about the quality of hardware / firmware.

Also the router firmware version hasn't changed - is there any way we can confirm we have the update, other than DNS misbehaving?

Technical Support
Brodie_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hey Slipmat, 

If you firmware still hasn't changed, try registering on our network via: http://register.bigpond.com/adsl.do. Leave overnight and try a reboot the next day, the firmware should hopefully push through.

Brodie

Telstra Bigpond Technical Support

Occasional Visitor
jrk36
0 Kudos

Hi Shelly,

I used the fixed DNS addressing work around for my Technicolor TG587n and that worked just fine. However, I still have that workaround in place and wondered if I could now take out the fixed DNS addressing?

From your messages it appear that a firmware update for the modem/router should have been propogated, but how do I know if  I have it? My modem/router information is:

Product Name:TG587n v3
Serial Number:CP1209RA1YM
Software Release:10.3.T.M
Software Variant:BD
Boot Loader Version:1.1.3
Product Code:3689784A
Board Name:DANT-Y
Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi jrk36,

As advised,t here is no change in the firmware version, it ultimately came to a setting change within the modem.

If you remove your fixed DNS settings and still encounter difficulties, try the steps that Brodie posted previously.

TonyACT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am still having issues and have tried everything here.  I have also called support and had a nice chat to a lady overseas who left me with a reference number and no assistance, though she did say it was a 'known issue' that 'our technical staff are working on'.

When is this going to get a permanent fix?  Or, how do we get a working modem - I have already effectively lost a month of use of two PCs in the house.

[EDIT] I have done everything again - logged to that site etc.  Will see how this goes in the morning.

Collector
rancid13
0 Kudos

so i still cannot upgrade to windows 8.1 (from windows 8) and the internet work properly without doing anything?

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Rancid13,

This issue should be resolved. If you do upgrade to Windows 8.1, if you experience difficulties, then you can manually configure the settings as described earlier in this thread.