CROWDSUPPORT ®

jgaspar
0 Kudos

iPad / iPod is "unable to join the network" using a Thomson TG782T

I've been using a Telstra Bigpond service for a couple of years using the Thomson TG782T.  I've had no problems connecting several laptops but when I try and connect an iPad or an iPod Touch I get this "Unable to join the network" message.  If I try to connect with my Blackberry Torch I get a similar result "Failed to connect to the network"

I've researched the problem a bit and some people have had success changing the channel from 1 to 6 or 11m but that didn't work for me.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution?

Thanks,

John

Established Member
Trollbait
0 Kudos

Re: iPad / iPod is "unable to join the network" using a Thomson TG782T

Sorry, don't have a solution to your issue as I am having the same with an iPhone and another mobile that despite having the correct access code still can't access the wifi.

Anyone got a solution?

Occasional Contributor
brandonz

I've had a look around the Internet and a user on Apple's support forums thought it might be the encryption that's the issue. Can you try temporarily taking down the security on your wireless network just to see what happens? Obviously if you're concerned about security, don't try it, but you never know!

I also found this - apparently changing the channel to 13 helps. Another user had EXACTLY the same problem that you're having now and bam, changing to channel 13 worked!

If something I've said has been helpful to you, I'd love to hear about it! To give me Kudos, just click the 'sunshine' icon over on the left-hand side of the page under my avatar. Thanks a bunch!
Established Member
Trollbait
0 Kudos

Hi Brandonz

Just tried your suggestion and whilst I won't be able to check whether the iPhone works until my daughter comes back, changing to channel 13 has increased my download speed fivefold and I can now watch Foxtel over my T-box which I haven't been able to do since Sunday.

In case nobody has told you lately - you are awseome!!!!!  I have been on the phone with Tech support for the last three weeks trying to get this problem solved - fingers crossed this is the answer I have been looking for.

Cheers!

Occasional Contributor
brandonz

Hey Trollbait, I'm glad this solution worked! 

Yeah, nobody's told me lately that I'm awesome :smileysad: Thanks!

If something I've said has been helpful to you, I'd love to hear about it! To give me Kudos, just click the 'sunshine' icon over on the left-hand side of the page under my avatar. Thanks a bunch!
jgaspar

Brandoz, thanks for the feedback.  I'll try channel 13 to get better speeds - my understanding of channels is that if there are several other Bigpond users all on the same channel you get degraded speeds.

My problem was caused by a different issue which (I have to admit sheepishly) was really obvious once I thought about it.

The ipad/ipod/blackberry screen asked for a password so I was entering the standard password that's also used to access my bigpond account.  But that's not what was required.  This screen actually needs the "Wireless Security Key (WPA)" code and not the password.  Once I entered that, all was good.

Thanks again.

Occasional Contributor
brandonz
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Yep, that would do it :smileywink: As your original post showed some levels of technical knowledge, I didn't run through the 'is your password correct?' routine - but as this goes to show, we all make mistakes!

I hope you get better speeds on Channel 13 - my understanding of this is since most wireless routers are set to the default US channels of 1-11, and not the extra Australian channels of 12 and 13, less interference and better speeds can be achieved by using the less commonly used channels.
Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

brandonz wrote:

I hope you get better speeds on Channel 13 - my understanding of this is since most wireless routers are set to the default US channels of 1-11, and not the extra Australian channels of 12 and 13, less interference and better speeds can be achieved by using the less commonly used channels.

Just to add to that, the best results are generally achieved by not using the same channels as others nearby, a quick look at the WiFi on any device these days often shows many active AP's in the area when doing a search, there are some WiFi scanning apps that run under Windows that show the channels neighbouring devices are running on that can be really useful in helping to select the channel that best suits your location

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Occasional Visitor
Richoman
0 Kudos

I am having trouble "joining the network"  through my thomson tg782t router. I have read that I can change channel to 13 but I am not sure how to do this. Also there is a suggestion of the "wireless security key" but again I am unsure where to find this. Can anyone help please? I have a new ipad on the way and I want to connect all devices to the wireless router asap.

Thanks

chandam
0 Kudos

Hi

Where do you find the password, i can only see the Wireless Security Key (WPA)

thanks

DanK
0 Kudos

Hiya chandam,

The WPA is the password for your network. If it doesn't work then you might need to set one manually. Let me know if you need a hand to do that.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines