Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

johnnyb1954
0 Kudos

Slow NBN Speeds

My Plan T-Bundle 200GB With 100/40Mbps

http://vic.speedtest.bigpond.net.au/

Download Speed 53.87 Mbps

Upload Speed 27.42

Ping 23 ms

Is it possible to improve my upload speeds?

I find it very slow a little over half.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Re: Slow NBN Speeds

Hi johnnyb1954,

Could you confirm that when you are connected via LAN to the modem with no other devices connected via WiFi or LAN when you perform your speed tests?

Telstra BigPond Technical Support
Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

You can connect to us here:
johnnyb1954
0 Kudos

Hi There,

I'm just using my computer.

Monday 8-7-2013

http://vic.speedtest.bigpond.net.au/

50.63 mbps download speed

21.56 mbps upload speed

ping 25 ms

Today Tuesday 9-7-2013

59.08 download speed

26.42 upload speed

It can vary a a fair bit and today is about the highest speed its been on average as its usually slower.

I have a tech coming out on Friday but the issue seems to be on the other end of my line.

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Johnnyb1954,

Could you confirm if your computer connected to the modem via WiFi or an ethernet (LAN) cable?  Also, by tech have you organised a private computer technician or contacted BigPond Tech Support on 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273) to organise NBN Co to investigate the network?

Find what you were looking for? Tag answers as Accepted Solution || Need Technical support? Send me a private message

johnnyb1954
0 Kudos

Hi Shelly,

My computer uses the ethernet cable and I've organized a tech through Telstra. They need to test first to check the issue and then pass on to NBN. 

Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi Johnnyb1954,

Thanks for confirming that for me. Hopefully they will able to resolve this issue for you shortly.

Visitor
LukasB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello, I have within the last 2 months or more had NBN installed..and transitioned from adsl to nbn. I phoned a few times about the length of time the transition took and my download speeds at 1.5mbps peak, averaging about 900kbps or less. A technician was scheduled to arrive on the 21/11/2013. I was at work but had my sister wait for the tech. He did not show even when i arrived home at 3pm, so i called up bigpond to see what has happened or if the tech was for a later date..but due to my impatience i hung up after the que and just waited for another day to call bigpond.

Today I call and am connected near instantly but am told the systems are down and i should receive a callback directly..well not sure what time they had in mind but i work again tomorrow so i will try again tomorrow afternoon. But all i want, which is what i purchased ...the  '12mbps NBN 200gb download limit' plan but have not reached anything close to 12mbps for any site, any download..any program. I wanted to speed boost off the bat, then was told to wait for the transition..which i did. So raising my speeds is my priority since less than 1mbps on average is horrid for an alleged 12mbps.

Like i said i talked to a lady on the phone at bigpond a week ago, she was baffled why my speeds were so slow even after all the tests we applied. She was also the one that scheduled the technician.

So any idea what to do here? i am doing my part which is trying to get in contact with bigpond and get results...has become very frustrating since it has been a long two months or more for this process to go through. That being said i am unable to continue my TAFE work online until this is fixed due to the uploads and downloading back and forth which i have not got the time to wait for due to work.

Help me out here -_- 

Renee
0 Kudos

Heya LukasB,

Welcome to CrowdSupport, I'm sorry that it has taken such a situation for you to reach out to us. :\

Given that it is an NBN Tech concern, of which certainly looks like needing to be escalated further, the best recommendation would be to contact the NBN Tech Team via 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273) so that it can be looked into.

I appreciate you have spoken with them already and have had a Technician not turn up and for this I do apologise, however, it is only the NBN Tech Team that can assist further.

When you do contact the team, certaily let them know what you've already done to date and advise that you would like it escalated further given the frustration of the situation.

I'm sorry we can't help further, it is best dealt with the speciailist team as Telstra is a reseller of NBN Plans, we do not maintain the service, this is managed by NBN Co.

Renee :smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Honoured Contributor
Lathania
0 Kudos

LukasB, Can you clarify where you're getting these "1.5Mbps-900kbps" speeds.

Because if you're using measurements of speed correctly, 1.5Mbps is a download rate, and the Telstra 12Mb speed plan is connection speed. So you have to multiply 1.5Mbps (bits to bytes) by 8 to get your connection speed. Which, 1.5*8 is exactly 12Mb.

athania

Help recognise contributors by clicking the Kudos  button for helpful posts and marking as    allows others to benefit from useful posts.

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Visitor
vlass
0 Kudos

i am having the exact same problem and need a solution too
Technical Support
Shelly_Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi vlass,

If you are having difficulties with your NBN speeds, I can only advise as per the previous post by Renee. To have this investigated further, the best contact is our NBN team on 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273). 

ada
ada
0 Kudos

Just for those who actually don't have a clue when looking at a download indicator on software a small "b" indicates bits and a capital "B" indicates Bytes. eg if you are downloading and the indicator states 1.5MBps that is Megabytes per second, if it shows Mbps it is Megabits per second.

If a user copies the information caps and all as this one did 1.5Mbps he is clearly indicating that he is only getting 1.5Megabits per second! Unless he has incorrectly noted the lowercase b when his speed test or download meter is showing a B then he is indeed receiving a poor connection if he is paying for 12Mbps he is getting just over 1/10th that speed.

Same as the other user 50Mbps is half what they are paying for. 

However the NBN does not guarantee 100Mbps if you read the fine print they don't actually guarantee any speed! The network infrastructure in fact will not sustain all users at 100Mbps!