Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Telstra Thought Leader
sallyhaydon

ACTIVATION

[ Edited ]

Hi Pre-Paid customers,

Whether you’re trying to activate a new mobile number or switch an existing number across to Telstra Pre-Paid, here are some steps to help you with this.

• If you're getting a new mobile number, you can activate your Telstra Pre-Paid service via our secure Activation website. All you need to do is switch your phone on and when the activation is complete you’re ready to go.

• To switch your existing mobile number to Telstra Pre-Paid please chat online with a consultant to progress the switch for you. We're available 24x7

Before you activate:

You’ll need to choose a Pre-Paid offer and have identification handy, I’ve listed what we’ll accept:

Either one of these:  Australian passport - Australian driver's licence - Birth certificate

OR a mixture of  two of these: Debit or ATM card -  Medicare card -  Bank passbook

FatalToaster

Re: ACTIVATION

It all sounds so easy. I've got the activation confirmation email at 15:53, it's now 21:40 and the phone can receive calls and texts but can't send or dial. Hmmph. I guess all the Telstra elves are off partying with Santa.

Community Leader
jokiin
0 Kudos

I would imagine there would be quite a lot of activations happening and some sort of backlog as a result
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Executive Director, Telstra Digital
gerdschenkel
0 Kudos

Online activations

New SIMs can be activated online here
https://www.telstra.com.au/telstraprepaidplus/myprepaid/jfn?actionID=PREPAID_ACTIVATION

Sometimes the system has difficulty to match a new SIM to an existing account in which case it returns an error. We are in the process of fixing this. In the meantime, ease activate via the phone

Thanks.
Gerd Schenkel
Executive Director, Telstra Digital
---------------------------------------------------------------------
For Personal account services, please visit http://telstra.com.au/account-services/

For Business account services, please visit http://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/account-services/index.htm
vickiachan
0 Kudos

Re: Online activations

I am on Postpaid and want to churn to Prepaid. Do I buy $2 SIM and port over?
aeraani
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have registered my new prepaid Telstra sim oline over 8 hours ago, but am getting 'sim card not valid' error messge on my phone, therefore am unable to make calls to get help that way.... frustrating! Why has my sim not been activated yet? :womanfrustrated:

Please don't make me have to go back instore to wait in line for another half hour... again...

New Contributor
WahooMan
0 Kudos

Hey I was just wondering if a 16 year old with a learners permit can activate/own a prepaid simcard/mobile phone.

Community Founder (Retired)
Ben_F

WahooMan wrote:

Hey I was just wondering if a 16 year old with a learners permit can activate/own a prepaid simcard/mobile phone.

Yes - Its a form of Acceptable ID :smileyhappy:

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

howbadisthis

I purchased a pre-paid mobile broadband (USB) modem approx 6 months ago.  At the time it took me 3 weeks to have it activated because your terrible Address Verification software didn't work and then I got transferred around India for a week while people who had no idea what they were doing rebooted their PCs (trying to find the address I listed).  Haha, what a joke.

I have recently rebuilt my laptop (from previous disk image) and re-installed the Telstra Broadband Manager software and now I cannot use my modem as it tells me that I have to activate the modem!!  How can this be, surely the modem is activated/registered seperate from the software?  What happens if I want to use this modem on a different laptop?

Now here's the kicker, I tried to Activate and was told that this modem is already activated and I need to contact Telstra (so I need to active an already activated modem - good stuff people)!!  Rang the number supplied and was told that it was a special (yeah real special) Telstra number and could only be dialled from a Telstra phone!!!!!

So here I am, cannot hook up to the internet, cannot ring Telstra.  Where to from here?  Can somebody advise please - haha, that's a joke in itself, I bet nobody is even monitoring this site.

Seriously, you guys are a joke.  You are not doing yourselves any favours and any chance you ever had of ever getting me back to Telstra (for any other services) has just flown out the window.  As this is a business tool, it has now cost me at least 2 weeks of lost production.

Wait, I know where to from here.  To the Vodafone shop.  Limited coverage might  be a pain in the preverbial, but it's better than a complete failure.

If anybody there at Telstra has a single last thread of Customer Service and/or decency, please contact me.  I would like a replacement modem or at least for this one to be recognised as Activated so I can use it.

I won't thank you in advance (as I'm a bit sceptical of getting any response at this stage).

W.

Ben_F

howbadisthis wrote:

If anybody there at Telstra has a single last thread of Customer Service and/or decency, please contact me.  I would like a replacement modem or at least for this one to be recognised as Activated so I can use it.

I'm not from Telstra (and this is a Community Forum, not a customer service channel) but if you hold the Shift Key and click on settings, there is a diagnostics tab. From there, you should be able to tick a box that says "Device is Activated".

As for not being able to call Telstra, I'm assuming you called 125 8880 (or similar). Those numbers cannot be called from a Vodafone due to, I believe, a Vodafone limiation. Best bet in the future if you ever need assistance is 13 22 00 and say "PrePaid".

The above process takes all of about 2 minutes to do, and has been documents on Whirlpool, and on here numerous times. Sounds like you want to bash instead of trying to find a solution to your problem, just sayin........

B.

New Users - Click Here!

joshaus95
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have activated my micro-sim for my iPhone 4S and received an email saying that the activation was sucessful and it will be complete within 4 hours. It has been 24 hours and the SIM is recognised by my phone but I can't use 3G internet, call or text on it. Can someone please help me? :smileyhappy: 

jesseallford
0 Kudos

I activated my new telstra prepaid at 12.17pm today and I am still not able to do anything with the phone. I do not have access to a phone at the moment, so I am unable to phone for help :-(
jesseallford
0 Kudos

OOPS! Turns out I can make a call to Telstra Pre-paid, but there is long wait- 60 mins they suggested. Just found another reason to dislike Telstra. Why does this have to be so hard. I want to use my phone!!!! :-(

Sam_Heffernan
0 Kudos

Hi Gerd, 

I am in the process of attempting to port my number across from another carrier however been having some issues in doing so. 

I accidently activated the prepaid sim (with the number that I don't want) before requesting the port.

Could this be affecting the delay in the port?

Cheers, 

Sam

Ben_F
0 Kudos

To those who can make/receive calls but not access the internet, please ensure you have updated your settings. You can access http://configure.telstra.com.au to do this.

If you are an iPhone customer, please go Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. You will loose your WiFi/VPN settings ONLY, and you should have data back. Please also ensure your iPhone is unlocked, or locked to Telstra.

If you need to port a number, I don't think you can do this on an active service.

If you have any questions your best bet for Pre-Paid assistance is to try Pre-Paid LiveChat who will be more then happy to assist, or feel free to post general questions here for assistance :smileyhappy:

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Occasional Visitor
Kar21
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Problem when activating my new Dongle that provides 4G broadband access.  I need to use this today.

I typed in the SIM serial number on the box and when my activation sheet came up on the screen it had a very very different SIM number (XXXXXX.....). Note: the dongle serial number is XXXXXX....  It also had a mobile phone number (XXXXXXX) and said that I would be sent texts... I didn't buy a activate a mobile phone, I activated a dongle - please help urgently as I am at an internet cafe and not enjoying this at all... have to get alot of work done this weekend.

Previous issue (not urgent but would assist the future customer if fixed).  I am going away and thought I could activate this over the phone!   Note True - the phone contact number has a message saying that the internet must be used. But I needed to connect to the internet... I purchase the dongle in the first place because where I am staying, I have no access to the internet!!!!

Kind regards, Karen

Serial numbers and mobile number removed to protect your privacy 

Frequent Visitor
hamishb
0 Kudos

I received an email from Telstra on the 28th of March - the day I activated my Pre-Paid account - stating:

"Your activation request is in progress. Unfortunately we are experiencing issues with our system. Our team is working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

Apologies for the delay. We will process your activation as soon as we are able to, and let you know once it's complete."

Well, the delay continues. It has been nearly three weeks. Any chance it will ever be activated?

waynegluyas
0 Kudos

Mamy thanks for your posting

Contributor
Haemorrhoid
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Howbadisthis wrote:

Wait, I know where to
from here. To the Vodafone shop. Limited coverage might be a pain in the preverbial, but it's better than a complete failure.
If anybody there at Telstra has a single last thread of Customer Service and/or decency, please contact me. I would like a replacement modem or at least for this one to be recognised as Activated so I can use it.

Although this thread is relatively old, after stumbling across it and reading where this customer was tempted to head in search of an alternative service provider, I felt compelled to respond and share my experience for the benefit of others that may come across this the same way I did.

First and foremost, I commend Howbadisthis for expressing his opinion openly without any sign of diplomacy; we need customers like that who stand up for what they believe without feeling intimidated. I indeed am one of those people, and will point out the negatives as well as acknowledge any positives.

As a Telstra customer since the inception of analogue mobile telephony (a good 20 or so years ago), I have yet to experience one single issue with any aspect of the service, and I'm indicating this literally - not one problem. I was also a customer of the company mentioned in Howbadisthis' post, not by choice but by force after a so called 'merge' took place and all existing customers of a different network under contract were forced to the aforementioned service provider. For me this is where the nightmare began and after a six month long battle, they finally retreated and released my contract when realising they had no hope.

I have extensively contributed on their Community forum and had many of my posts removed as they apparently 'breached the Community's terms and conditions', ie. I challenged their strategies and lies which according to their staff, infringed upon user guidelines.

If the customer above indeed did visit the shop he mentioned in his post, all I can say is GOOD LUCK because he'd be in for a rude awakening in my opinion, and my opinion only.

I am in no way associated with Telstra or it's affiliates and in no way promoting them, or bashing other carriers, but I'm simply stating facts based on experiences I've had with Telstra and other networks mentioned. If I do have a problem with Telstra in the future, rest assured everyone will know about it, but given I have not had ONE to date in over 20 years that I've been a customer, I'd say that's a good track record and worthy of acknowledgement.

Kind regards,

Pain in the preverbial

lol :-)
Carly
0 Kudos

Just so people are aware it can take 24 - 48 hrs to change sims with all the same infomation on it.

Meaning same number same credit same account.

Yet you go into the shop witha faulty sim and its done in 30mins.

Sorry to say but Whats the go

>