CROWDSUPPORT ®

wardrop
0 Kudos

How do I move from Optus Post-Paid to Telstra Pre-Paid?

My 12 month optus contract expires in 1 month. I'm wondering what the procedure is for moving my phone number over to Telstra pre-paid. I already have a recently-purchased Telstra pre-paid sim in my cupboard. Do I need to let optus know? Is it possible to move the phone number over while there's still a few days left on my contract?

Just wondering what the procedure is so I can streamline the process when it comes time to do it.

wardrop
0 Kudos

Re: How do I move from Optus Post-Paid to Telstra Pre-Paid?

I've just done this over live chat. Here's what I learnt:

* Unactivated sim is required to port your number. Activated sim's can't be used apparently. $2 sim does the trick.

* Mobile number, and the name and account number of the account associated with your current provider is all that's needed to verify ownership.

Note, I'm without service for what could be up to 24 hours. I can't make calls because I have no credit on the new sim, but can't recharge because Telstra's databases haven't updated and hence don't recongise the number. Finally, I also can't receive calls. It goes straight to voice mail. This is probably related to both the previous issues, either a lack of credit, or because my number hasn't been fully propogated.