Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Established Member
andi
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus GT-S7500T

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, just writing in regards to this mobile phone.

Recently purchased the device after being told by both the telstra shop and jbhifi the handset support android 4.0 via a software update.

Obviously I went home eager to update my new phone and to my suprise no update via samsung or telstra to be seen, I then spoke to samsung who advised me it's possible this device will never seen a new android version as its already been updated once from 2.2.

I then rang the sales assistant at the telstra shop who was under the impression the device already had an ICS update available for it, same story at jbhifi, which is not the case.

I wouldn't have bothered with this message but to have heard the same story from to different shops about this device it would appear the wrong information is being put out. If I had known this information to start with, I could have purchased the telstra urbane for $79 which is basically the same spec saving me $120 dollars.

Moderation: Altered solution to this thread

DanK
0 Kudos

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus GT-S7500T

Hi andi, thanks for stopping by the forum.

I am very disappointed to hear that you have been given information about future updates from sales staff. Our staff should not be providing information on the availability of updates in future as this is something that is completely outside our control.

Given the age of the Ace I expect that it has been updated as far as it will be officially, which is to version 2.3.4. I would suggest returning to the point of purchase to raise this with the sales staff and if necessary the manager.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Established Member
andi
0 Kudos

thanks for the reply, problem is what your saying contradicts what is actually stated on telstras website as well. https://onlineshop.telstra.com.au/prepaid-mobile/ then click galaxy ace plus details, states upgradable to ice cream sandwich.. can anyone give me a straight answer?
DanK
0 Kudos

Hi andi,

I am very sorry, I did not realise there were two versions of the Ace. I was referring to the previous Samsung GALAXY Ace, which I can see has a different model number (S5830T) to the one you have purchased.

Please disregard the information provided above I will follow up for you and see if I can find out what the situation is with this update.

Regular Visitor
tls_cust
0 Kudos

Has there been any further developments on this front? I purchased this phone in Feb this year and was advised by sales staff that I could download the ICS update but nothing is available. I also note that last year Samsung announced that this phone will receive the Jelly Bean update, so it seems the phone is now two versions behind. I can understand Telstra putting the updates to its flagship phones first but we're now into March and still nothing.

gap
gap
0 Kudos

I'm also interested in a response to this question. I also bought the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus recently on the back of this advertisement:

https://onlineshop.telstra.com.au/prepaid-mobile/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-ace-plus

The ad actually says:

Powered by Android™ Gingerbread 2.3 (Upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0) with access to the Google Play™ store

I spent over an hour in the Telstra store the day after I bought it because neither I nor the sales staff could upgrade the phone. Is this just a case of the Telstra advertisement not being true? Is the phone not upgradeable to ICS?

gap
gap
0 Kudos

FYI, I got this on another part of the forum . . . not that it helps really

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Samsung-Galaxy-Ace-Plus-GT-S7500T/td-p/138768

Established Member
andi
0 Kudos

you'll notice all references to being upgradable have been removed off the telstra website and all other retailers, its pretty clear we've been lied to. I'm quite angry as I only bought this device knowing I could upgrade to newer android, in my eyes this is false advertising and illegal.
DanK
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for raising your concerns over the upgradeability of the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus handset. I have looked into this for you and it appears that initially we were advised that this phone would be receiving the update. However, this has now changed and the update will no longer be available for this device. Our online store has been updated to reflect the correct information.

I apologise for any frustration caused. Please send me your details in a private message If you would like to discuss this further.

Again, thanks for raising this.

Established Member
andi
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, I'm assuming existing ace plus owners will receive some form of compensation for this then?

To have both your own sales staff and your website clearly state: "Powered by Android™ Gingerbread 2.3 (Upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0) with access to the Google Play™ store" is false advertising and comes under legislation in australia for misleading or incorrect sales terms.

Contributor
beetle84
0 Kudos

Damn straight its false advertising, go to where you purchased the phone and refuse to leave until they refund you.
Established Member
andi
0 Kudos

Unfortunately its past 30 days since I made the purchase, so I can no longer take the device back. I'm definitely not happy about the situation.
Established Member
andi
0 Kudos

Phone has been sold and I've purchased a galaxy S2, best thing I've ever done.

JadeHennessy
0 Kudos

Why is this phone not bring upgraded? Samsung has stated that the galaxy ace plus will be receiving 4.1. Why is it that the Telstra version isn't even getting the 4.0 update. Who is responsible for this update to the Telstra version, you our Samsung? Will never buy a T version phone again nor will I buy from a Telstra shop again. I thought we had consumer rights in Australia.
argusdst
0 Kudos

If they insist on reserving free  os upgrades for their flagship phones, why can't they offer upgrades to their other phones for a fee?

New Contributor
colmacc
0 Kudos

I, too, bought this phone purely on the strength of the ad which claimed it was able to be upgraded.  It would never have been under consideration except for that representation.  I would have bought the cheaper available phones, or nothing at all.

A couple of months later I look around for the upgrade and found this thread.  The phone, despite Telstra's representations, is not able to be upgraded.

Telstra, you just can't do this.  If you make a representation that a phone is able to be upgraded, you can only do this if it's true.  That you were misinformed does not absolve you of the responsibility to ensure that what you advertise is true.

So what're you going to do about it?

Colin.

DanK
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

As per an earlier comment on this thread on the 25/03 please send me a private message if you wish to discuss this.

New Contributor
colmacc
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

I did PM you, yes.

Colin.

>