Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

TerryS
Accepted Solution

Replacement T/Box Remote

I think our T/Box remote has given up the ghost. Therefore I will need a replacement. Does anybody know how much they are and where I can get one from? I've been trying to ring Telstra Shops all day and the call goes to message bank each time, have they closed all there stores?

Telstra Alumni (Retired)
Telstra Alumni (Retired)
Ben

Re: Replacement T/Box Remote

[ Edited ]

Hi Terry & welcome to CrowdSupport,

Our retail stores dont carry replacement remotes so I can save you some work there. All you need to do is get in touch with our T-Box tech support team on 1300136841 and they can arrange one to be sent to you.

In the mean time you can download a remote control app from the Apple iPhone App Store or Android Market and use that. There are some more details on this app.

Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=netgem.telstra

Apple App: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/t-box-remote/id462769308?mt=8

<edit: removed pic as didnt want to be seen by people and decided to break instead>

Cheers,

Ben B
Telstra Digital Sales & Service

Have you checked out the Community Guidelines or the Community Knowledge Base lately?

Contributor
edrah0lic

Remote Control costs $30.. But yeah, you'll need to call TBox faults to purchase a new one. .

Or if it's proven to be faulty, they can send a replacement with no charge at all. =)

Super Contributor
crackojack
0 Kudos

To check your remote you could try this.

Test your remote

A bit crude bit it works

If the information you have gained from these forums has helped you, then please take the time to thank the author by giving them kudos.
Occasional Visitor
dchr79
0 Kudos

The t-box remote app is of no use as the app can't be used to turn on the t-box. Is there another way to turn on the t-box without a remote?
Occasional Contributor
HarryH
0 Kudos

Hi dchr79,

When the App remote was first launch it was not capable of turning on the T-Box but since the change that improved the start time of the box it can now be turned on using the remote app.

Note: I am a Telstra employee but am posting in my own time and not officiall representing Telstra.
Super Contributor
crackojack
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm not sure that this is exactly the case.

When the T-Box is in 'sleep' mode it's WiFi and Ethernet connections are active.

In 'deep sleep' (which is what happens after the time out period or you hold the power off button on) the connections shut down, presumably to save power, which makes sense.

Just to check this;

I set the T-box to a static IP and "Pinged" it from my PC.

No problem when it was "On" and in "sleep" mode.

"Unreachable" when in "deep sleep".

You should also be able to observe this by logging into your router and looking at your home network connections.

Put the T-Box into deep sleep and it shouldn't be observable on the network or it should be "inactive" (after a refresh of your router).

I also downloaded and installed the latest Android App (just to make sure) and could not get it wake from deep sleep.

I have an older T-box, so unless there has been a hardware change I can't see how it can be woken up via the network.

Happy to be told otherwise as I like the App:smileyhappy:

If the information you have gained from these forums has helped you, then please take the time to thank the author by giving them kudos.
Occasional Contributor
HarryH

Hi Crackojack,

Yes, you are correct in that the power button on the app will not work when the T-Box is in sleep mode but since the recent upgrade the T-Box will never go into deep sleep mode unless the user holds down the power button for more than a couple of seconds.

Super Contributor
crackojack

Hey HarryH, I hadn't realised this had been changed, thanks for the info.

@dchr79

In sleep mode (deep sleep) the LED light on the front should be dim and flash slowly (every 5 seconds).

You should be able to wake the T-Box up out of its sleep mode buy momentarily pushing the reset button on the bottom of the T-Box (don't hold it, just push it).

The LED light should brighten and flash a bit faster (Flashing every second)

Just wait a bit (be patient) and the T-Box should give you the "Hello" message and fire into life.

Once that happens and the T-Box establishes connection to your router you can use your phone pap.

If you don't put it in sleep mode (as HarryH has said). You shouldn't need to touch the reset button again unless you have a power failure.

Note this can only work if the T-Box has been previously paired with a remote and your internet connection set up.

If you do a full reset then you'll need a proper remote.

Contributor
edrah0lic

Without a remote, you can actually wake the T-Box up by pressing on the reset button once. (That's underneath the TBox, it's a flat button)
If it doesn't work, try holding the reset button down for 4 secs.
If it still won't work, hold it down for 9 secs.
SteveH0
0 Kudos

Brilliant app and saved marriage as remote broke during MKR. Thank you.
Established Member
crappedoff
0 Kudos

Thanks, had the same problem as Terry trying to find out how to replace the remote.

Only thing is you need the serial number(MAC) from the t-box (underneath the unit on a T-Box 2) to complete the order with tech support.

anyoneoutthere
0 Kudos

So I've just been on hold for 48 minutes on the 1300 136 841 T-box support line, only to be answered (at last) and told that I had come thru to residential broadband and that the operator would need to transfer me to tbox support!

When I told him that I HAD actually called the tbox support number quoted on this crowdsupport thread, he simply re-stated that I had come thru to residential broadband and he needed to transfer me. When I stated that I'd like him to log this an issue that needed to be sorted out, he just transferred me straight away w/o bothering to respond.

So here I am on what (apparently) is the tbox support line and have been told the wait is over 20 minutes (6 minutes in now).

All this to arrange yet another replacement tbox remote.

Is that what Magda is on about in those TV ads? Can anyone out there help?

DanK
0 Kudos

Sounds like you have encountered a routing issue, which does happen from time to time. I will report this so we can get it investigated.

Have you spoken to one of my colleagues in T-Box faults as yet?

Don't forget you do have the option of the mobile apps as an interim measure too.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
New Contributor
stevieF1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

just a general note to say that I am having the same problem and why people insist it's a battery issue when it clearly isn't just does my head in!!!

It's clearly a need for a product recall.

I have lodged a complaint with Telstra and am waiting for their complaint service to get in touch with me next week. When they do I will post a message on this page.

It needs more people to complain to Telstra to get their [Bleep] in gear before they will do anything about it. My other gripe is that they want me to return my box so that they can try and fix it first......not acceptable is my response to that.

Also I'm contacting consumer programme Checkout as I'm sure they'll love to get their teeth into this kind of issue!!!

ShannonD
0 Kudos

Hi StevieF1,

I can see one of our techs has suggested for you to return the T-Box as the issue could be with the device 

I'd also recommend doing this. We can then ensure this isn't the cause

Please let us know if you don't hear from your complaint case manager & we'll follow up on your behalf

New Contributor
stevieF1
0 Kudos

I have no issue with sending it back. But my point is that Telstra won't provide me with a replacement while the other box is getting "fixed".......so I could be without a box for 2 weeks while I wait for a fixed box with a known common fault. What is the problem with just sending out a new box and then I'll send the broken box back......I wouldn't even get $5 for it on Gumtree!!!
ShannonD
0 Kudos

Hi StevieF1,

We would be able to arrange this & I'm sorry to hear this option wasn't offered to you

New Contributor
stevieF1
0 Kudos

Please expand further how you will be able to get this resolved. please understand that I have already had a new remote sent out that stopped working after a couple of days. Are you telling me that you'll send out a brand new box? If so don't you need my details?
ShannonD
0 Kudos

Hi StevieF1,

I understand that you've already had a replacement remote & this is why our techs recommend we replace the entire device

You would be best off discussing this option with our 24x7 T-Box support team on 1300136841

New Contributor
stevieF1
0 Kudos

As promised here is an update.......Jon from Telstra crowd support agreed to my request to have a replacement box posted before I sent back the useless box and remote.

It seems that this is against telstra policy but it proves my point that if you insist you'll and challenge the system you eventually get a positive result.

So thanks to Jon and here's hoping I'm not here again in 18 months time.

Occasional Visitor
MacWil
0 Kudos

Had the T-box since 2011.  Very happy with the programming and capabilities. Now on my third (or is it fourth) remote device.  Had given up, and have been using the phone app until its battery gave out just now!  So I looked up this site and I see that I can send the T-box and the remotes back to get properly fixed.  That would be nice.

Where/who do I send it to?

ShannonD
0 Kudos

Hi MacWil,

I'd recommend contacting our 24x7 T-Box support team on 1300136841 if you would like to arrange another remote

As your T-Box would fall outside of warranty, there would be a cost involved which is $30