Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

owg582pdu
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Last months Mobile data Usage after date rollover onto current bill?

Hi,

My current plan has a monthly schedule from 03/02/2013 to 02/03/2013 and the monthly data reset this morning.

I noticed in the detailed usage for this new months plan 88.3Mb had been placed onto this Month's usage from yesterday's usage (last months bill)? Is this normal?

1-3 Sessions of 3

Session Time (EST)UsedDuration (hh:mm:ss)Destination (APN)Est Charge (GST Incl.)

Sun 03 Mar 2013 11:49 AM756kB00:08:22telstra.internetIncluded
Sat 02 Mar 2013 09:37 PM14.2MB09:47:26telstra.internetIncluded
Sat 02 Mar 2013 09:06 AM74.1MB11:09:46telstra.internetIncluded
DanK

Re: Last months Mobile data Usage after date rollover onto current bill?

Hi owg582pdu,

It is normal for usage to roll over at the end of a bill period, however weo do try to avboid this from occuring wherever possible.

Basically, what happens is that at the time your bill period ends all available rated usage is recorded and billed according to your plan. Any usage that has yet to be rated will land on the following month. Typically it will represent a very small quantity of usage.

We do aim to have a usage rating activity occur as close to midnight as possible, however this does not always happen so you may end up with several hours of usage landing on the following month.

In the example you posted below the bottom sessions started at 09:06 AM and lasted for 11 hours so ended ~ 8 PM and the middle session started at 9:37 PM and lasted for a bit under 10 hours. The bottom session has rolled over as no rating occurred between 8 PM and midnight.

The second session didnt end until early on the 3rd so would have landed on your new bill period regardless.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
owg582pdu
0 Kudos

Thanks for replying, now I understand how this works I will be able to manage my data usage more efficiently.
DanK
0 Kudos

No problems, happy to help.

If you have any other questions feel free to post a new thread or stick around and share your experience with the community :smileyhappy:

Note: I have shifted the solution from your thanks to my answer for clarity

tle
Established Member
tle
0 Kudos

This happened to me too but with mine it came to 40% of my usage allowance from the previous month (the ONLY usage I had that month) being added to this months account. Not happy but that's the least of my worries with Telstra at the moment.

paulmin
0 Kudos

DanK,

This has been happening to me for a long time, but this month I think, takes the cake!

I have a total of 17.2 Gb of data per month shared accross 4 services (2 mobiles and 2 mobile broadband devices) on a business plan. My billing period resets on the 4th of every month.
I had about 2.5 Gb of data left on the 2nd March, so I decided that I would use what I paid for, before it goes down the proverbial s***hole... and did some heavy dowloading on the 2nd and the morning of 3rd March.

When the billing period turned and I went to check My Data Usage on 4th March, I found that I've used 13% or 2.15 Gb of my new month data!!!

There was this session recorded:  02 Mar 13   09:39 PM   2.14GB     32:55:18   telstra.internet    Included

A session that lasted almost 33 hours, started way in the old billing cycle and was recorded to the new billing cycle????

Well Telstra, this is a highway robbery! I was robbed of nearly 5 Gb of my data I am paying for - the 2.5 Gb I had left and wanted to use and 2.14 Gb on the new billing cycle. How can you justify that?

Also, I've always wondered when does the session start and end on the device that is always on, as my service in this question is?

I think that as a biggest service provider in this country and one with the supposedly most advanced technology your Mobile data usage meter is just pathetic.

I had been using satellite broadband before I had to turn all my broadband to wireless and I was able to see my usage  updated in 15 minutes intervals. The Telstra data meter gives warning that data may be UP TO 6 hours behind, but in my experince it is usually 12 -24 hours and on the weekends in can be 36 hours. Why is it so difficult to tally the data as it is being used on the post paid wireless network???

Or is convenient for Telstra to keep it the way it is, because people go over the allowance if they don't know and they can be charged extra for that???

Hope DanK  or someone else can answer these questions for me.

Regards,

Paul

DanK
0 Kudos

Hi tle,

If you get a significant amount of usage roll over then please do contact billing, we need to have that investigated.

Hi paulmin,

Give he details you have provided it sounds like the data session ended in your new billing period so I expect that is why it all landed on the following month. Most modern mobile devices will passively keep your internet connection running in the background to ensure that when you access the internet it is ready to go.

If you are concerned about usage then you can disable mobile data (phone/tablet) or terminate the connection (MBB) for 5-10 mins to ensure that the session has been ended on the network.

I am sorry to hear that you had a large amount of usage roll over and suggest that you contact Telstra Business billing about your usage.

While I am happy to help all our customers on the forum I am not able to provide you with an official response on how Telstra views the operation and suitability of systems.

paulmin
0 Kudos

Thanks DanK,

I have been in contact with Telstra support and the issue is being looked at.

Cheers,

Paul

owg582pdu
0 Kudos

Hi Dank,
Just to confirm, if I turn off mobile data usage for 15 minutes at the end of the roll over day then the previous session will be placed on the previous bill.
For example 02/03/2013 I stop mobile data usage at 18:00, then the session from that day will go onto the 03/02/2013 to 02/03/2013 bill?
Regards
Les
DanK
0 Kudos

Hi Les,

After a session ends it still needs to be rated before it will be billed so if you disable mobile data at 6pm causing the session to end but it does not get rated before midnight then it will still land on the following day.

As I said in a previous post, we aim to have the last rating activity to occur as close to midnight as possible but this does not always occur. It could be delayed or it may not be possible due to maintainence. I usually suggest to members that if they are intending to burn through their usage to do so on the 2nd to last day of the bill period to avoid significant rollover of usage.

owg582pdu
0 Kudos

Understood

>