Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Occasional Contributor
Robbie70
0 Kudos

Lumia 710 tango + tethering

Will the lumia 710 receive the tango + tethering update?  If not places like JB Hifi that sell the phone outright should be warning potential customers!

Microsoft should never have let the carriers control the roll out and have already caused fragmentation. Nice work!

Visitor
ronvalencia
0 Kudos

Nokia Lumia 710

[ Edited ]
Occasional Contributor
Robbie70
0 Kudos

Re: Nokia Lumia 710

My Mozart had a rather nasty accident so I purchased a Lumia 710 from JB Hifi.  I know the phone (710) does not have tethering and needed tango but from all the web sites I read I believed it was coming soon. Will telstra roll out tango and thethering feature for the 710?

Tethering is quite important to me as Im a contractor working from site to site.

And! What a mess microsoft should have taken control of the update process and aren't capable of managing their OS roll outs! They have a lot to learn from Apple!

Starting to lose my patience!

Valued Contributor
Boggles

[ Edited ]

Robbie70 wrote:

And! What a mess microsoft should have taken control of the update process and aren't capable of managing their OS roll outs! They have a lot to learn from Apple!

Starting to lose my patience!

Microsoft roll out the updates, it is just that Telstra have to test it and approve it.

This is so that the update does not accidentally impact on any of  telstra's services.

Telstra only approve the update, microsoft roll it out.

:smileyhappy:

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
Valued Contributor
Boggles
0 Kudos

Re: Lumia 710 tango + tethering

Microsoft roll out the updates, it is just that Telstra have to test it and approve it.

This is so that the update does not accidentally impact on any of  telstra's services.

Telstra only approve the update, microsoft roll it out.

:smileyhappy:

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
Community Leader
Kalak
0 Kudos

I guess the OP means that the carriers control the roll-out, because unless and until they put their tick of approval on an update, MS will not release it. So the ultimate control still stays with the carriers, regardless of who actually delivers the update to the customer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found a then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance please remember to click on the
Please note: I am an accredited Telstra Hero and I assist Telstra on social media platforms, however I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Valued Contributor
Boggles
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Taken from an earlier post by windowsphonedownunder (hope you don't mind)...

1. MS work on an OS Update OR

1a. OEM (Phone maker) has a Firmware update for MS ROM.

2. This is compiled into a test release to each Carrier, in each World Market (more back & forth possible between OEM/MS)

3. Carriers receive a TEST ROM for their WP7 device. (up until then Carrier is not involved)

4. Carriers carry out TEST - Often this is an ITERATIVE process, meaning they can bump things back to 1. or 1a. above.

5. If Carriers complete testing, and there are no issues on their final OK version - they Approve.

6. OEM then Approves final Update (Carrier tested) back to MS for respective market release (country, carrier, models etc)

7. MS then control a staggered (around 25% every 2 weeks) market by market, carrier by carrier release of update (for quality control and OH **bleep** management!)

SO - someone like Telstra can impact this process by;

* Refusing to process an update (ie Firmware push from OEM) if there is another update like from MS coming shortly after (a resources/logistics matter of their choice). ATT did this with the last update prior to MCR3. I also suspect this is what delayed the Tethering update for Nokia Lumia 800/710 devices, which they had wanted sooner, but carriers probably said "stuff that I'm running MCR3 in July, it can wait till then!"

* The amount of time it takes them to test and approve the update (this is IMPERATIVE, imagine an update for a device disabling emergency call dial for the phone on Telstra's network and someone dying cause they couldn't dial 000 - NOT as outlansish as it sounds!).

Valued Contributor
Boggles
0 Kudos

Is the Lumia 710 a Telstra handset? If not then it has nothing to do with Telstra if / when you get an update.

If it is a Telstra handset you should get the update.

:smileywink:

Occasional Contributor
Robbie70
0 Kudos

The interesting and crappy thing ... its not a telstra handset but Im using on their network.  So who is responsible for the update?  Thats why I think Microsoft has made a big mistake!

The Lumia 610 & 900 came with tethering looks like the 710 never will!

Valued Contributor
wpdownunder
0 Kudos

I don't mind - but hyperlinking works better - with less repetition/copy/paste of larger posts.... :smileywink:

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Windows 8 and Surface fan! Telstra Customer.
Blogger (click my profile for a link to my Windows Phone/MS site)
If you like my Microsoft (WP/Win8) posts here, consider Kudos+1
Valued Contributor
wpdownunder
0 Kudos

You will get the update for a Lumia 710 on the Telstra network towards the backend of the rollout, once the update has likely hit most handsets models/networks.

Occasional Contributor
Robbie70
0 Kudos

That's good news! 

Thanks

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

Hi ronvalencia,

Thanks for your post regarding the Nokia Lumia 710, Tango update and if the tethering feature will be activated.

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport :smileyhappy: Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

I've now forwarded your query to our Mobile Developments Team for confirmation and once I do have an update from them, I will update your post here.

Thanks again for everyone's patience at this time.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Valued Contributor
wpdownunder
0 Kudos

Joe,

I think the more relevant question is Why WOULDN'T it be updated with Tethering? :smileytongue:

Sheeds.

Valued Contributor
wpdownunder
0 Kudos

Also to the OP - you really should check the existing threads - as directly next to your new post was an existing discussion on the Lumia 710 and Tethering... :smileyhappy:

Senior Moderators
Joe-Telstra
0 Kudos

wpdownunder wrote:

Joe,

I think the more relevant question is Why WOULDN'T it be updated with Tethering? :smileytongue:

Sheeds.

Indeed Sheeds :smileyhappy: So it should :smileywink:

and thanks for pointing out the duplicate thread, I've now merged them.

By the way, have you seen the new board on Smartphone and Tablets device updates?

This now includes more information and our Mobile Updates Team are aiming to update this every week.

With kind regards,

Joe:smileyhappy:
24x7 Digital Customer Care Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Valued Contributor
wpdownunder
0 Kudos

NP Joe :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
Robbie70
0 Kudos

1 month on and still waiting!

What a joke!