CrowdSupport®
jasonEL888
Level 1: Cadet

AFL Live still charging after subscription was cancelled.

I used the free trial to watch the AFL 2018 Grand final on the AFL Live app on my girlfriends phone.

I cancelled after the final finished and my girlfriends account was still being charged $5.99 weekly up until the 11th of January 2020.

She did not realise it was the AFL live app that was taking her money as the app was deleted after the final and only realised until she asked me why she was being charged $5.99 on her latest bank statement.

Is it possible to get the money back?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Support Team
Support Team

Re: AFL Live still charging after subscription was cancelled.

Hi @jasonEL888

Thank you for your post, my apologies for any issues you're experiencing with AFL Live Pass. 

Can you please clarify the amount of the charges?

You've mentioned they are $5.99 weekly, however the AFL Live Pass is $4.99 weekly so if the charges are $5.99, they are not for AFL Live Pass. 

An AFL Live Pass will not cancel if the AFL Live App is deleted from the device.

Can you please confirm the description next to the charges on the bank statement? This will point us in the right direction to assist further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jasonEL888

Sorry that was a typo on my half. The charges were $4.99.

I thought I had cancelled it and that is why the app was deleted and then forgotten about. I only used it to watch the 2018 final as my phone own phone was dead at the time and there was no other way to access it.

The charges on the bank statement state that the charges are from the Apple store.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @jasonEL888

Unfortunately, if you were still getting charged this means the subscription wasn't cancelled correctly.

Did you cancel via the Apple App Store? 

We don't have access to Apple systems to cancel or refund any charges for a subscription which was purchased this way, I can pass on the instructions to cancel the subscription and request a refund from Apple which is at their discretion. As per the terms: When you purchase either a Weekly, Monthly or Annual subscription, your purchase is via the Apple App Store not with Telstra. If you have a billing issue to resolve, you should contact the Apple App Store.

Instructions to cancel your subscription: https://tel.st/tmbnc

Instructions to request any refunds: https://tel.st/ruzex

Please let us know if you require any further assistance. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

jasonEL888

I tried to cancel it via. The app. I saw a lot other posts of people in similar positions, one claiming that unsubscribing through the app did not work, still charging them even once the season had finished claiming that Telstra removed any function to unsubscribe. I also believe I received an email to unsubscribe before the free trial ends or else I would still be charged, this did not work as well apparently.

The link to the Apple site to issue a refund does not work. “403 Forbidden”

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @jasonEL888

You cannot cancel the subscription in the AFL Live App, it needs to be cancelled the same way it was subscribed - in the Apple App Store. 

I am sorry the link didn't work, I just googled "apple app store refund" and provided the link. 

Here is the link again: https://tel.st/tdjp6

If this doesn't work again, you might have to google it. 

All subscriptions to AFL Live Pass will continue to charge after the season has ended. All subscriptions are ongoing until cancelled as per the terms, this is regardless of whether or not the AFL is in-season or not as subscribers continue to have access to premium content such as the full back catalouge of match replays and exclusive AFL Live App content.

You would have recieved an email (to your girlfriends appleID email address) prior to the free trial ending, however if you continued to be charged, the subscription was not cancelled correctly. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit