CrowdSupport®
GraHarr
Level 4: Private Eye

AFL live app not working on my IPAD???

Answered

Hi, I have enjoyed using my IPAD 2 to access for several years but it appears that after looking into the fine print that for my 2018 subscription ( which I get thru my online club membership) that IPAD's below IPAD 4 are no longer supported?.. This is very annoying and frankly the words I would like to use aren't appropriate for posting online. Lets just say "not happy Jan". This will impact my future spending decisions on purchasing  Telstra services, my decision to purchase a club membership  and any AFL related product.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: AFL live app not working on my IPAD???

Hi @GraHarr

I am sorry to hear that your device is no longer supported for the latest update of the AFL App. We test and optimise the AFL Live App to ensure this is compatible with as many devices as we can but we do not intentionally prevent certain devices from accessing the App.

While this may have worked in the past, we cannot ensure that all devices will work indefinitely. The iPad 2 for example was last updated for OS 9.3.5 which 2 more than 2 versions behind the last iOS update of iOS 11. 

I do apologise for any inconvenience.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
GraHarr
Accepted Solution

JesseS, further to my last message attached is a link to the membership offer that I took up some months ago. https://membership.carltonfc.com.au/digital-membership

If you open the link you will note there is no reference to there being specific limitations as to devices supported and as my IPAD 2 was accessing AFL Live completely fine at the time I renewed my membership in October 2017 I had no reason to expect  come 2018 it would not be supported any more - hence why I am now so disappointed!. At a minimum the AFL clubs and Telstra should ensure for the future digital memberships renewals/offers that any device limitations are made very transparent and up front by providing a suitable link to Telstra AFL live information so people are able to make an informed decision.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
91 REPLIES 91
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @GraHarr

I am sorry to hear that your device is no longer supported for the latest update of the AFL App. We test and optimise the AFL Live App to ensure this is compatible with as many devices as we can but we do not intentionally prevent certain devices from accessing the App.

While this may have worked in the past, we cannot ensure that all devices will work indefinitely. The iPad 2 for example was last updated for OS 9.3.5 which 2 more than 2 versions behind the last iOS update of iOS 11. 

I do apologise for any inconvenience.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

GraHarr

JesseS . Thanks for your response. Its extremely disappointing that the AFL offer me a remote electronic club memberships inclusive of an AFL live subscription (thru Telstra) to me at a time when the APP (eg for 2017) is working fine on my IPAD 2. Post taking my money the rules change and without warning my device is no longer supported???. Frankly this is complete BS and in my view a fraud. I note for example that for your Foxtel offering via Telstra you support IPAD 2 so if I was being cynical it appears your business practices are driving me towards your Foxtel offering?. I have been a Telstra customer for over 40 years now but I am seriously questioning my ongoing loyalty to Telstra

Highlighted
GraHarr
Accepted Solution

JesseS, further to my last message attached is a link to the membership offer that I took up some months ago. https://membership.carltonfc.com.au/digital-membership

If you open the link you will note there is no reference to there being specific limitations as to devices supported and as my IPAD 2 was accessing AFL Live completely fine at the time I renewed my membership in October 2017 I had no reason to expect  come 2018 it would not be supported any more - hence why I am now so disappointed!. At a minimum the AFL clubs and Telstra should ensure for the future digital memberships renewals/offers that any device limitations are made very transparent and up front by providing a suitable link to Telstra AFL live information so people are able to make an informed decision.

Ghardnose
Level 3: Gumshoe

As a long time Telstra customer I am so disappointed that I can no longer access Afl on my iPad 2, no information was forthcoming to the rude change.

definatly will consider changing my telco. 

What a joke!

dissapointed customer 

Level 25: The Singularity

When Apple updates the operating system, then app developers have to update their apps. Unfortunately, at some point, the new version may stop working on the devices that have the old operating system on it. There is very little that the app developers can do to avoid that.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
GraHarr

Jupiter, I understand the point you make about operating system upgrades and at some point in time devices can no longer be supported. However as noted in my earlier comments Telstra ie the App developers seems to have no problem offering Foxtel including on IPad 2 so how hard is it to maintain Afl live on IPad2. Frankly i don't believe Telstra tried very hard and as a 40 year plus customer very annoyed and the Telstra brand will clearly a hit from these types of decisions
Ghardnose

Always about how much money a business can make,make you upgrade buy a new product,subscribe to something, yes we all have bundles of cash,give us a break,we live in a technology savvy world but can't seem to look after the customer.

INT55
Level 2: Rookie

What an absolute crock. Like you others below, now that I have discovered the reason why this App is no longer working on iPad 2 with no advance advice, no info provided, just withdrawal of service (unless you happen to be a Foxtel customer, what a surprise!!) then I'm closing my Telstra account after 40 years of being a customer. The only one left with the big T - Trash - due to AFL app. No longer.
Ribit
Level 5: Eagle Eye

This is an absolute Telstra rip-off. There is no excuse to make the AFL app incompatible with IOS 9.3.5, and thereby exclude all iPad 2 users. Other Telstra-supported apps like Apple Music and Foxtel are fully compatible.

I call on Telstra to rectify this mistake as a matter of urgency, before the football season gets underway and the wrath of thousands of iPad2/AFL fans hits like a tidal wave.

Alternatively, those like me who renewed a pre-paidmobile subscription in the knowledge and belief that Telstra mobile customers had access to the AFL app should be entitled to a significant refund of, say $180 per year (being roughly the cost of subscribing to the Foxtel sports channel for the AFL season).

How about it?

Ribit

Not good enough. Fix this mistake immediately, or refund Telstra customers whom you have deprived of access to the AFL app.
Apple Music and Foxtel apps are supported by Telstra and compatible with IOS 9.3.5.
Maybe this error was not done deliberately, but that does not diminish its effect on iPad2 users (who are out there in their thousands).
You are warned - the anger of AFL fans is something to be feared. Once the news is out, a tidal wave of rage will be unleashed.
Ribit

Garbage. Apps can be designed that retain compatibility, e.g. Foxtel and Apple Music, both Telstra-supported and money spinners which work just as well on old IOS platforms as on the latest. Telstra has goofed badly on this one, and alienated many thousands of (formerly) loyal mobile subscribers. This is not over. The AFL season has not even begun.
Ribit

The official website advertisement for the 2018 AFL Live Pass app states clearly that it is compatible with OS 9.0 and upwards. Yet it plainly is not. Fix it.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks @Ribit we are aware that it is showing that is is compatible with 9.0 and above and we are working to get this updated now. Please note that this page does also show that it is only tested and supported on iPad 4 and above.

Thanks

Ribit

I appreciate your Telstra logic at work here. Without warning, transform a perfectly useful app so that it is no longer compatible with iPad 2. Encourage Telstra customers to subscribe to mobile services by advertising continuing access to the AFL app, and specifically state that it IS compatible with OS 9 and above. When the false and misleading advertising is drawn to your attention, rather than undertake to fix the app, you respond by saying that the offending wording of the advert will now be worked on (after the horse has bolted).

As I have noted elsewhere, other apps available through Telstra services can manage updates without alienating iPad 2 users. Obviously someone has stuffed up on this occasion. Give them a boot in the rear and fix the problem.

Why would you deliberately discourage/antagonise loyal customers?

Ribit

This is baloney. Programmers can and do ensure that their updates are still compatible with existing operating systems, or they run the risk of losing existing customers (and revenue). Take Foxtel Now, Netflix, Stan, Spotify, Telstra TV and Apple Music as just a few examples which continue to work perfectly on iPad 2 using OS 9.3.5.
agrayblo

Rubbish. Fix this Telstra. Absolutely outrageous. It's a consumerist thing forcing people to upgrade iPads or get Foxtel.
RJ8

Pathetic
Hoggy3

So the app doesn't work anymore on my iPad. I had the app to automatically renew on the third of February, which it did. If it is no longer working on iPad 2 how do I get my money back?
RJ8

With great difficulty from my experience.
Hoggy3

Maybe we need to go to the telecommunications ombudsman. They have the clout to get Telstra to fix it or get them to refund money. We'll see what happens over the next few days. Footy season is not that far away
Surfer12

Thank goodness I have read this, I have been struggling since 1 Feb to understand what is going on.

Am I misreading Jess in that Telstra will not make iPad 2 compatible but rather delete the reference to IQS 9.3 etc from the app.

I guess par for course with Telstra they promise but don't deliver. 

Surfer12

I have been with Telstra all my life. Your reply is ambiguous are you saying you will make the IPad 2 compatible or rather you will delete the reference to compatibility.

Updating the reference to compatibility.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Hoggy3

Just got back from local Telstra store.  Explained the situation to them and showed them the compatibility with iOS 9.0 and above that was displayed on the app this morning.  There response was that it is not their problem but an Apple issue as is an apple app.  I replied that is rubbish and if I don't get a satisfactory response from them I would take it to the ombudsmen.

They have put in an official complaint to Telstra and said it may take a few days.  I have requested either fix the problem or give me a refund.

Covering all bases before taking it further.  I'll keep everyone posted.

The Telstra Store won't be able to progress anything for you. All the support for the app is done through Crowdsupport.
@JesseS, you may need to help out here again.
Ribit

Nice work Hoggy. Keep the pressure on until they see reason and relent. It is Telstra's problem. They f****d it, they must fix it.

euge1

I have the same problem, why cant you provide the previous app, before the update, that still works on an IPAD2? Why should I have to purchase a new IPAD  to get the APP to work?  A bit more thought when you upgrade Apps would be appreciated so that current devices still work- if you could install a subroutine in the programme? Or do you have to send this offshore aswell?

Ribit

Jesse, have you looked at all the app reviews for the latest update on the App Store? It is a massive failure and must be fixed. No one is happy with this fiasco.

By the way, the App Store 2018 description does not include any reference to "iPad 4 and above" - it simply states that AFL Live is compatible with iPad and requires OS 9.0.

This is becoming a major embarrassment for all concerned. False advertising is not good PR, as the ACCC will tell you. No amount of spin can disguise the fact that the update is a lemon.

What will be required before you openly acknowledge that there has been a serious flaw in the programming and take steps to undo the damage?

Surfer12

Telstra will do nothing try as we might like anything else with Telstra we will be ignored
LethalLFM

Don't apologise fix it !
I can open the new AFLW app on my iPad but not AFL app what are you doing about fixing it ?????
bbruce

I too can open the AFLW app but not the AFL. Can't be that much of a technical issue! Surely Telstra will see that this is simply a complete balls up and fix it asap. If enough customers show their disgust they will have to do something
Surfer12

To make things even more a surf by Telstra the NRL app works go figure that 

Stu_7

Jesse, this response is not acceptable. My AFL Live subscription was renewed only last week and now I can't get access. Telstra never advised that iOS 9.3.5 would not be supported with the updated App. Either 1) fix the problem (which should be relatively easy), or 2) make the previous version of the App available or failing these options provide affected users with a refund. Hard to believe Telstra treats it's customers so badly...
RJ8

They are doing a Barnaby and ignoring the problem, they want you/us to switch to Fox in which they are in partner$hip. No fix will happen.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for your feedback and I can see how frustrating this is for you. So I just wanted to assure you that we have heard you and we are reviewing this with our App team now. I cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide a compatible App for older devices but we are looking into a solution to make this as accessible as we can.

When I have more information, I will update this thread.

Thanks for your patience.

Hoggy3

Just got off the phone to Telstra.  The Telstra support people have referred this to CrowdSupport .  Surprise, surprise!!  Nobody wants to take ownership of this issue.  Last time I looked, the app still says it supports iOS 9.0 and above.  Now that I believe I have covered all bases, if we do not hear from JesseS by this time next week with one of two outcomes ie fix the app app or refund the cost of the app, I can see no alternative to but go to the telecommunications ombudsman.

Stu_7

Thanks for the update Hoggy.  I phoned Telstra yesterday and didn't have much joy, as no-one at Telstra seemed to know much about the AFL Live App let alone the recent update to the App, iOS 9.0 etc.  I was finally referred onto one of their technical team who appeared to understand the problem.  However, he wasn't in a position to offer any solutions aside from suggesting taking my iPad to the local Telstra shop :-(    I find it difficult to understand how Telstra can offer the AFL Live app service with such limited support. I suppose we need to wait for Crowdsupport to respond...   

andrewkrake

Graharr

The product is being sold for IPAD's with IOS 9.0+, the IPad 2 I suspect if up to date has ISO 9.3.5, I have purchased the App also for a IPAD 2 with IOS 9.3.5 are  it doesn't work.

The problem I have is I cannot get anyone to confirm this as the problem or give me a refund.

Can you direct me to this fine print condition. The large print clearly states it suitable for IOS 9.0+

Did you get a refund and how and from Who?

Please assist

Andrew

GraHarr

Hi Andrew, the link below outlines the terms and conditions I located. I certainly didn't expect a problem as when I renewed it the APP was working fine ( in late October 2017 for 2018 as part of long distance membership thru Carlton football club). When I raised with Carlton membership they were going to refund me but I have left it for now and am hoping per Jesses last message there might be hope of a fix for us.(assuming fairness and common sense prevail)

You would need to approach whoever you purchased from re a refund
cheers G

http://www.afl.com.au/livepass/telstra-terms-and-conditions
andrewkrake

JesseS

The App is being sold for IOS 9.0+ so either make it work or tell us the process to have our funds returned.

Once we have your product working as specified or a refund we can decide whether to upgrade our Hardware or move on. you have less than 8 days to the season start.

Please let us know in advance.

Andrew
GraHarr

...... and within that link I sent towards the bottom you will see a heading supported devices listed ( no IPAD 2)
RJ8

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/c4f0f4be-d2f3-4ccc-b910-1064997bb585.png
Clearly this is NOT an acceptable solution, your App does not work as it is claimed.
Topcat1
Level 1: Cadet

Hi JesseS,
Thanks for this follow-up
As I'm sure you've seen, this will affect hundreds (probably thousands) of loyal customers like me.

Please keep the pressure on the developers to fix this issue. Cheers
agrayblo

And soon! AFL season starting in just a few weeks.

Surfer12

@JesseSwrote:

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for your feedback and I can see how frustrating this is for you. So I just wanted to assure you that we have heard you and we are reviewing this with our App team now. I cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide a compatible App for older devices but we are looking into a solution to make this as accessible as we can.

When I have more information, I will update this thread.

Thanks for your patience.

@JesseS Patience is wearing very thin JLT has started surely there is an update on what is happening

Ribit

Thanks for listening to your customers Telstra. The app is now fixed. Let's hope this never happens again.

Three cheers.

RJ8

Hear, hear, well done done Telstra, I don't take it all back but credit when credits due.
agrayblo

Yes great - nice work Telstra. Pity for the earlier inconvenience, but thanks for sorting it out!
GraHarr

thanks Telstra for resolving this appropriately. Happy days!

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now