regEx
Level 1: Cadet

4G drops out intermittently

3G works fine on my Oneplus 5T, but 4G does not. 

I have been complaining about this ever since I got my "best in the business" Telstra sim. The tech support team keeps asking me to reset my network settings. Otherwise, they imply that it's my phone. I have never had any problems with any of my other sims and I have another Australian and overseas one. 

I have seen other posts where they blamed iOS. And the post in question had exactly the same issue. Following is the list of issues they have mentioned so far:

1.  Your phone is not approved. [didn't know Telstra only worked with certain phones..?!]
  2. Android version may not be updated. [but other sims work fine..?]
  3. There is repair going on in your region. [the problem is not region specific]
  4. But you can use 3G fine [but I am paying for 4G]
  5. You just have to reset your network settings. [10 times a day?]

I am so frustrated and disappointed in Telstra. Other cheaper service providers have done a much better job and are way more reliable. When I ask to cancel my contract they ask to pay $250 as fine. 

The best solution offered so far: We will get level 2 person to contact you or you can pay $250 and move on to a different provider

Please help!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Support Team
Support Team

Re: 4G drops out intermittently

Hi regEx. 

I appreciate how frustrating this must have been. There are two options I would recommend here that you can take. The fastest way to get help with this is going to be giving support another go on 132200 and say "Mobile Phone Fault". I know it can be frustrating but this will get you through to someone today to assist.

Alternatively, as you have advised you have had trouble getting a solution over the phone with tech support already, the next step I would recommend is to raise a formal complaint which you can do online here https://tel.st/7qlsz;

Once you have raised a complaint through the online form, you will see a complaint case reference number on the screen beginning with 'SR 1-' (be sure to write this down, if you can provide that to me I will note it here so that we can follow up on your behalf if required). We will assign you a complaint case manager who will be in contact with you within 2-5 business days. They will then work with you one on one until this problem is fully resolved or an agreeable solution can be reached. 

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 22: Superhuman

I just checked the specs and it seemingly  has the frequency bands that Telstra uses.

You should test and compare the exact locations with another Telstra phone to isolate whether the cause is your phone or 4G coverage.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@regEx One thing I would try is once backed up, do a complete Master reset with the Telstra SIM inserted.

Sometimes just resetting the Network settings doesn't do it.

Go Tiges!

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now