CrowdSupport®
sh70
Level 2: Rookie

Best blue tick handset 2018

I am in a rural area ,90% of the time, on the fringe of signal. I currently have a IPhone 4S ,which is about to die, what is the best handset for signal strength. Android or Apple.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Best blue tick handset 2018

Hello, here is a link To Telstra Samsung blue tick for S9.
Samsung S8 and S9 have excellent transmitter/receivers
Some iPhones have blue tick
Thank you
https://www.telstra.com.au/aboutus/media/media-releases/Samsung-Galaxy-S9-Awarded-Telstra-Blue-Tick-...

https://www.telstra.com.au/aboutus/media/media-releases/Telstra-announces-first-4G-Blue-Tick-certifi...

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
sh70

Thanks ProfessorPhone,
Can I take it you would get the Samsung S9 over the iPhone 8?

Hello,
I have a S8 Plus
I have never touched an S9, but the main differences include the camera and the position of the fingerprint reader, both of which present absolutely no problem on the S8. To the best of my knowledge, there is no substantive differences in the transmitter/receiver between the S8 and 9.
Also, now Samsung have substantially reduced the price of the S8.
It's never a good idea to buy a new phone in the first few months, as often there are manufacturing and hardware /software improvements.
I know this is a fact having worked in technical testing for 2 major manufacturers at Australian head office level.
Thank you

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Wotan

All the iPhones are all pretty good, the iPhone 5 (now a 6 year old model) was regarded as a little mediocre (but only if you held it in a certain way without a case) but there hasn't been a Reception/Signal since then.  I work in mining (Telstra is the only choice for us) and my personal iPhone 6S is vastly better than the company provided iPhone 5 which itself isn't shabby   If you have fringe signal problems consider a cellphone signal repeater to create a picocell.   Cost is a little over $300, telstra have an unit.  You can clear up any issues in and around your house and they are somewhat portable.  Most offer an internal antenna but also allow an external antenna to be place many meters up on say your TV aerial.   I suppose you could mount them on a caravan, hilux etc.   You can also obtain passive cradles that will conduct the signal up a cable to an external aerial like the old car kits.   Price is no guarantee of good reception but generally a iPhone or high end Samsung will outperform cheapies.  Not always, sometimes a fancy city phone doesn't.  

Wotan

Note however that only the iPhone 8 (not even the 8 plus) and 6S seem to be the only iPhones on the latest Blue Tick list. This might get down to Qualcom vs intel chips or antenna design or placement. Anecdotally people have reported their 6S outperforming the X.
jstnfrs

Hi sh70,

Following blue ticks phone from telstra would be

SAMSUNG
> Galaxy s9 & s9+
> Galaxy s8 & s8+
> Galaxy Note 8
> Galaxy s7

Apple
> iPhone 8
> iPhone 6s

I would probably recomment the iPhone 8 if you prefer the Apple ecosystem.
S9 or S9+ if youd preffer andoid (Samsung)
-Might wanna check the pricing as well though. Depends on how much you wanna spend a month but even if you decide to opt in for the S8 or S8+, you would still be satisfied with either of the two handsets.

Thanks.
tarsel
Level 4: Private Eye

I went from an iPhone 4s (like yours) to an iPhone 6. If you have an iPhone 6 you'd better learn smoke signals or semaphore... it is absolutely bloody useless in poor reception areas! My iPhone 6 is about to go on eBay and my SIM card is going back into my still working 4s. My wife has an iPhone 6s which happens to one of the so-called Telstra 'Blue-Tick' phones... not great but much better than the iPhone 6.

@sh70 wrote:

I am in a rural area ,90% of the time, on the fringe of signal. I currently have a IPhone 4S ,which is about to die, what is the best handset for signal strength. Android or Apple.

The iphone SE is the cheapest iphone and actually largely has 6S electronics in it and had a very effective antenna with the iphone 5 external case. It works very well in dodgy coverage areas and almost all the innards are 6S blue tick standard. I have had 2 6s and the iphone se which is close to a samsung 8 plus

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now