Redgumtv
Level 4: Private Eye

How do you make calls from Google Home speakers?

Answered

How do you make calls from a Google Mini speaker through your mobile phone?

Old Wizard.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: How do you make calls from Google Home speakers?

@Redgumtv wrote:

@RedgumtvThe feature is accessible from Google Smart Displays and Google Home, I don't think it supports the Mini?

But you can check it out and see?

1. Open the Google Home app,  and head into the Settings option.
  2. Open the Services Tab and then Mobile Calling
  3. Sign in under the “Telstra” heading
  4. You’ll be prompted to agree to terms and conditions, and then the service is configured.
  5. You’ll receive a prompt SMS to confirm the setup has been completed
Go Tiges!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
Accepted Solution

@Redgumtv wrote:

@RedgumtvThe feature is accessible from Google Smart Displays and Google Home, I don't think it supports the Mini?

But you can check it out and see?

1. Open the Google Home app,  and head into the Settings option.
  2. Open the Services Tab and then Mobile Calling
  3. Sign in under the “Telstra” heading
  4. You’ll be prompted to agree to terms and conditions, and then the service is configured.
  5. You’ll receive a prompt SMS to confirm the setup has been completed
Go Tiges!
Redgumtv

Thanks Ozmoz,

Have you actually tried this solution? This is the second time it has been offered.

Your instructions were...

1. Open the Google Home app and head into the Settings option.

2. Open the services tab and then mobile calling.

Getting to "Settings" is fine but inside settings there is no Tab or Mobile calling, just Home Nickname, Home Members, Digital Wellbeing and Linked media accounts. These headings are followed by Rooms, groups and devices. Galaxy Note 10 plus 5G and Galaxy S8 plus (my wife) is the same. It is the latest Home software.

Where have I gone wrong?

Old Wizard.
Redgumtv

@Redgumtv wrote:

Thanks Ozmoz,

Have you actually tried this solution? This is the second time it has been offered.

Your instructions were...

1. Open the Google Home app and head into the Settings option.

2. Open the services tab and then mobile calling.

Getting to "Settings" is fine but inside settings there is no Tab or Mobile calling, just Home Nickname, Home Members, Digital Wellbeing and Linked media accounts. These headings are followed by Rooms, groups and devices. Galaxy Note 10 plus 5G and Galaxy S8 plus (my wife) is the same. It is the latest Home software.

Where have I gone wrong?

Also, I've got four mini speakers and a Home speaker plus a Hub. Home and mini will call my wife's number (Optus) but I get no answer. Is this service exclusive to Telstra (my phone), if so, is it worth setting up?

Old Wizard.
Highlighted

@Redgumtv Those are the generic instructions for the Google Smart Displays and Google Home. I had a look with my mini and its not supported. Telstra/Google also haven't released media press details about it yet, but apparently it does work.

Obviously, when you sign in under the "Telstra" heading you would have to be a Telstra customer.

It wouldn't be something that I am interested in, but I guess the young tech geeks would like it until the novelty wore off :-)

Go Tiges!
Redgumtv

Great thoughts Ozmoz. Showing your age though!

This service is popular in the US and UK and as a tech review journalist I can think of two clients I could use "hands off" with every week, Telstra and Samsung. Nothing like spending and hour or two on a handset chasing the font of knowledge through the Philippines, Singapore and Seoul. At least once a week, maybe twice. And then there's the ability of moving office to office with a laptop under the arm and a cup of coffee.

Yep! I can see some old blokes having problems but I'm only 74 so I've got a few years to go yet. It's a great service but perhaps I'm just a bit ahead of the Oz market. Google did a press release to day so might have to wait 48 hours for some details unless someone else has an insight?

Out of interest, I just gave it another shot from a mini to my wife's phone and Google came back to me with a response, "could not complete your call, please try again". I got the "missed call" notification on my phone and Samsung watch. So I guess something is happening?

Old Wizard.
Bombers16wa
Level 2: Rookie

Hi, 

i tried this this several times, without luck.

i can’t see the word Telstra. Rather is says ‘Your own number’ I can enter my Telstra mobile, get and enter the code. Make a call, but doesn’t connect. Any thoughts?

@Redgumtv I don't have the right Google hardware to test it, but people have gotten it to work.

I guess until we see it officially announced it might be a bit buggy?

Go Tiges!
bellbird

I have been trying to set this up as well.

The provided instructions are not correct.

When you go into settings and services the only available option is "Voice & Video Calls", then you can see "Mobile Calling" however there is no Telstra setting shown there.

You can add your mobile number there, and you do receive a confirmation SMS, however when you try and make a call from a google smart display it keeps telling me that I need to go back into the settings and repeat all of the above steps.

If anyone has actually got this working I'd be very keen to hear the steps undertaken as the ones continually being repeated here and in other forums are not correct

Bombers16wa

You must also have your phone book names and numbers uploaded into Google Mail. As it will search the google contact list when use a family / friends name to call 

@bellbird wrote:

I have been trying to set this up as well.

The provided instructions are not correct.

When you go into settings and services the only available option is "Voice & Video Calls", then you can see "Mobile Calling" however there is no Telstra setting shown there.

@bellbird It was...

gh.jpg

I can't test it myself and can only go by what others have achieved.

Check out the blog post by Ausdroid for more information guys, including pics.

Let us know how you get on :-)

Go Tiges!
Redgumtv

Thanks Bombers. How do you actually upload "Contacts" into Google Mail? I have "Contacts" as such which Google Mail reads automatically as does "Messages" and other apps. Does Telstra circumvent this?

Old Wizard.
Bombers16wa

For me, my contacts where in my iPhone. If you also use Apple; login to iCloud. Go into Contacts and export them. Saving them on my computer

Then go into google mail. (Go to google, login, right top open App.  Needs to be done on your computer I think by going in’More’ you can them import the list of   contacts.  From the place you saved them 

hope this helpS

Thats a a very quick overview

Redgumtv

Thanks Bombers, again.

You can void this step if you use the Google platform. Google automatically syncs devices including Android unless you have physically turned "sync" off. It's updating constantly via wireless or 4g/5g.

My problem is that I don't get the "Telstra" link showing as described in the Ausdroid attachment. Yes, it is a Telstra SIM so maybe it's competing with Telstra "One Number".

It would be nice to know if anyone has it working as described? And what hardware they're using?

Old Wizard.
Bombers16wa

Red,

Same foe me, everything else is fine. Just can’t see TELSTRA. 

Redgumtv

Okay, tonight I have the "Telstra" button available under "mobile calling" followed by "Not signed in" When I attempt to sign in to Google I get the message "cookies Disabled". After checking multiple times I know that "cookies are NOT disabled" and of course I am signed into Google anyway.

Any solutions why Telstra creates this behaviour?

Old Wizard.
bellbird

@Redgumtv wrote:

Okay, tonight I have the "Telstra" button available under "mobile calling" followed by "Not signed in" When I attempt to sign in to Google I get the message "cookies Disabled". After checking multiple times I know that "cookies are NOT disabled" and of course I am signed into Google anyway.

Any solutions why Telstra creates this behaviour?

So I now have the Telstra button as well.

It has allowed me to link the account, send the verification SMS and it looks all linked in the Google Home app.

Tried the calling but it’s still saying setup is not complete.

perhaps there is still work happening in the back end, will keep trying.

Redgumtv

Okay, fellow crowd supporters,

All systems go. Telstra has got it working.

Google Home speakers, including the Mini now make voice calls to anyone in your contact list, including emergency numbers.

I've got all six Home speakers working except for my Google Hub which still insists on placing calls through "Duo" voice/video app. I guess I need to retrain my Hub.

Thanks to Telstra and Crowd Support for all their help in getting this worthwhile service operational.

PS: I can lay in bed every morning now and order my breakfast without even picking up my phone. Life wasn't meant to be this easy!

What's next?

Old Wizard.
bellbird

I’ve got my Google mini all set up and working well now.

Still no luck with the Linkview smart display.

if you ask it to call a number it still wants to set up video calling using duo.

if I say call using Telstra it accepts the command but quickly says there has been a problem and try again later.

keen to hear from anyone using an assistant with a screen having success, but it’s getting closer.

Redgumtv

Is the Linkview working on the same Wifi? i.e 2.4 or 5.0

Maybe Linkview is not LTE smart? It likes wireless but the Telstra connection is 3G/4G/5G.

As I understand it the Google Mini etc., connect via WiFi but the Telstra software is LTE which Linkview may not understand even though it's Assistant compatible.

Old Wizard.
Bombers16wa

Now working like treat. Telstra is there. Clicked and all sorted!!

So good 😊

@Redgumtv Good news, glad to see you got it going :-)

Funny enough, on my mini Telstra isn't showing up for sign-in, but I'm not that worried as its bad enough listening to one sided conversations in the house, let alone both sides.. arggh!

Yep, my age coming through as you mentioned above :-)

Go Tiges!
MelCT
Level 1: Cadet

I have followed these instructions and got the text message saying I am setup. However whenever I ask my google home to call it repeats I need to setup. How can I get this working 

kspice

In the Google Home setup, I can only get as far as the Mobile Calling page, then it won't let me click on the Telstra connect tab. It says 'not signed in'. Clicking on that tab does nothing.

That screen does let me upload my contacts though, so something is working OK?

What have I not done? Is there a setting I should enable or disable in my iPhone settings menu? See screen pic below.

Telstra Google Home Connection Screen pic.jpgTapping the Telstra Tab does nothing!

kspice

Postscript: Problem solved. I opened Google Assistant instead of Google Home and went into the "calls on speakers" that way. I was immediately able to click on the tab, which opened the sign in page for me to enter the mobile number and then the pin number Telstra sent me. Click and I was in business. However I then discovered the contacts I uploaded (which I thought were the contacts from my iPhone list were not!. They were my Google eco-system contacts.

So I had to export my (Apple) iPhone contacts across to Google. And "bingo", it worked!

dwallis02
Level 1: Cadet

This works brilliantly with Google Home Mini ... quick question ... how do you END a call?

Redgumtv

OK Google End call.

Old Wizard.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now