Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

How to switch from iPhone to Android

OK, you've decided to switch to take Advantage of Android hard and software features.

Here's a quick summary of how to arrange the switching from iPhone to your new Android:

1. Unless your iPhone is from the times of the arc, it'll have a micro SIM in it. Almost all Androids (except for Nokia N9) use the standard, bigger SIM. So you'll have to swap your Apple micro SIM to a regular one.

You can go into a Telstra store and swap it right there. Some stores may charge a fee, so best check ahead of time. You can find a convenient store incl. a phone number to call here http://store-locator.tstores.com.au/

You can also phone or use our Live Chat service to order a new SIM, but there is likely to be a shipping charge ($9). You can reach Live Chat here: http://www.facebook.com/Telstra24x7/app_363431033686192

2. Now that you have your new SIM, you need to swap you phone service (and number) to the new SIM.

If you pick up the SIM in the store, you can ask them to do this right there. If the store is busy and you can't wait, or if you got your SIM from Live Chat, you can ring or have the Live Chat team initiate the switch.

From when the switch is requested to it being active can take 4-24 hours. Unlike porting though, this process operates over weekends.

3. Finally you need to transfer your contacts, calendar, photos and music from the iPhone to the new Android.

It gets a bit involved here, and the best guide to this can be found here http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20064060-285/how-to-switch-from-iphone-to-android/

The transcript from the video is:

"

Step 1. Google account
On your Android device, go to Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > Add Account > Google. If you don't have a Google account yet, you can create one here. Follow the onscreen instructions to associate your Gmail account with your new phone.

Step 2. Contacts
Connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes. Click on your iPhone's name, then head to the Info tab at the top. Check "Sync Address Book Contacts," then check "Sync contacts with Google Contacts." Click Configure and enter the same account information you just configured on your Android device. Hit Apply and allow the iPhone to sync.

Step 3. Calendar and Notes
On your iPhone go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. If the Gmail account you're using with your Android isn't here, add it by going to Add account > Gmail. Go back to Mail settings, tap the Gmail account, and turn syncing on for Calendars and Notes. Within a few minutes, your calendar will transfer to your Android device. Notes will be sent to your Gmail account and filed under a label called Notes.

Step 4. Photos and videos

• Windows: Connect your iPhone to your computer. Open My Computer, right-click your iPhone, and select Explore. Drag and drop all the photos and videos to a new folder on your Desktop.
  • Mac: Connect your iPhone to your computer and open the application called Image Capture. Set a new folder on your Desktop as the destination and hit Download All.

Now, on either Mac or Windows, connect your Android phone to your computer, open the Android drive, and find the pictures folder. There's one titled "DCIM," but you can create your own folder if you'd like. Then drag and drop the iPhone photos from your Desktop to your Android pictures folder.

Step 5. Music
Keep your Android device connected. On your computer, find the Android's Music folder (if it doesn't exist, create one), and then drag and drop music files from your hard drive to your Android drive, which will put them on the device.

Step 6. SMS and voice mail
Here's the bad news: there's no simple way to transfer your SMS and voice mail messages to your computer or Android device (this process deserves its own How To). If there are specific important messages you want to keep, go to your iPhone's messages, select the conversation, and hit Edit at the top. Tap the message or messages you want to keep, then tap Forward. In the recipient field, enter your Google e-mail address, and send.

"

You're done!

If you need any help with your Android, you're at the right place, CrowdSupport. Or, you can always get our Facebook Telstra 24x7 team to help here http://www.facebook.com/Telstra24x7

Gerd Schenkel
Telstra Digital

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
SBro
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: How to switch from iPhone to Android

Much simpler
Drop iphone in rubbish bin, walk to shop, buy Android
Ross_T
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra are partners with Lookout Mobile Security.  

I changed from a Motorolla Atrix to Galaxy SIII     I already Lookout installed, as soon as I put the app on my new phone all my contacts etc were automatically restored.     I believe Lookout is also available for I Phone

Balsam
Level 2: Rookie

Missed an important step.....

Drop iphone in rubbish bin, reinstall brain, walk to shop, buy Android

Cheers,

Balsam

xtczero

Changing to Android   (on my 3rd POS Android phone) from my old Iphone 3gs which I still own, is a bit like stepping out of an Aston Martin DB9 to it's "rival" the Hyundai Getz!

Went from a stable no problems phone to a buggy OS & applications, poor support, poor usability, random/adhoc OS upgrades dependant on phone make & model, have to regularly turn them off & back on to reset 1 of the hundreds of "known" bugs that Android don't bother to release a fix for, the list goes on & on...

My 3yr old Iphone has been abused, dropped in mud, been landed on countless times with my large frame when falling off mtn biking etc & it still works as it did when I bought it.  I know when I open an application it will open, it will work as it was designed to do AND marketed to do, it won't experience a random "bug" almost daily & require me to reboot the phone to fix it (in the 3yrs i've never had to reboot it to "fix" an issue),  it is still miles ahead of this 2nd rate buggy Android rubbish.

Just my experience with 3 Androids (currently have the displeasure of owning the POS Galaxy S2 4g) vs 1 now ancient Iphone. Looking forward to the Iphone 5 dropping in price so I can go back to a pleasurable to use, working phone.

AlastairBateman

laststraw23

I used "Bump" to transfer all the contacts from iphone to android phone. With the photos I just "copy and paste" into the Android folders.

Skip

I have changed from iPhone 4 to Android LG G2.

There is a program called Wondershare, that will transfer all SMS, contacts, etc etc.

If you dont need the SMS's you can save your iPhone contacts to MS Outlook and then download to the Android.

I have done both and it works

tim1954
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Or get the app Smart Switch from the play store and it will do it all for you....
dracomjb
Level 6: Bloodhound

If you are happy moving from the Apple ecosystem to the Google ecosystem I've found that the Google Play Music and Google Photos services have utilities that will sync music from iTunes and photos from iPhoto/Apperture/folders.

I've been very impressed with Google Photos (and the Auto Awesome AI)

The only disadvantage I've found with Google Play Music is that the music if set to download onto the phone is only presented to the Google Play Music app, not everything else.

Another utility I found useful was AirDroid, allows wireless transferring of files to and from the phone.

tonto144

When I looked at the stats for the Nokia N9 it says that it runs on Linux-based MeeGo "Harmattan" not android????

Support Team
Support Team

Yes, I had an N9 as well and it was the only handset that operated under Harmattan - the new Nokia range have moved to the Windows Phone platform

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

deejerydoo

As an IT security professional, I would have to ask you why would you want to switch to a Telstra Android device, when Telstra delay the release of critical security updates for months after the OEM has released them?

Level 20: Director

Sony have made it easy:

install their software and click on Xperia Transfer > follow prompts

now to transfer back from Android to iPhone:

buy iPhone > take home > spend the next 24 hours trying to use iTunes > get frustrated > Set up as new Phone

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.
hwjmcclal

How to switch iPhone to Android ? How to transfer from iphone to android ?You can use Android to iPhone Transfer to copy iphone data to android phone. Android to iPhone Transfer allows you move your contacts ,messages, songs, movie, playlists etc between iphone and android.

eveeve

ha-ha, very funny. maybe you don't need to switch from iPhone to android, if you you want to transfer data between android phone and iPhone, you can use a mobile transfer app to help.

AnnieChow

To switch from iphone to android phones, the data also needed to be transfered between them.

The text messages, contacts, photos are all important data, so you need a phone to phone transfer program.

I think which can allows those data to be transfered safely and quickly.

eveeve

Try this mobile transfer app

lucyll

Yes, we can use a mobile transfer app to transfer data from android to iphone.

lucyll

Alexeyporubay

How to convert iOS app to Android
You have to understand that there are no services able to convert iOS app to Android online or something like that. To a good quality final product, you need to find an entire team of mobile app developers, designers, and testers who are able to convert iOS app to Android properly because of their experience in this sphere.
Android fragmentation
Fragmentation is a phenomenon when some mobile users are running older OS versions. Developers have to deal with lots of app's versions on Android to make sure the app works correctly regardless of the installed OS version. That fact should be taken into account while switching to Android from iOS.
One more difficulty is that the latest Android SDK version supports about 20 resolutions and that is not enough, taking into account the variety of Android-based devices.
Thus, with Android to iOS transfer, developers have to deal not only with multiple OS versions but optimization to different screen resolutions as well.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now