Jb810
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile network not available

Answered

I get this message when trying to call on my android satand alone smart watch. Telstra guy put in SIM yesterday and said good to go. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jb810
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile network not available

It is a Domino DM98
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

There are no 2G (GSM) networks in Australia. They have all been shut down as the frequencies were required for 4G.

I have found one site that says it has the 850MHz UMTS band that is necessary for Telstra, but all the other site say that it has the 900MHz band, which is used by Optus.

If yours isn't working, I would guess that it is the 900/2100MHz version, and won't work on the Telstra network.

My suggestion would be to grab an Optus SIM and see if that works.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 24: Supreme Being

What type of watch is it?
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

I don't know of any standalone smart watches that will work on the Telstra network. I haven't seen any that have the UMTS 850MHz (NextG) band, which is necessary.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jb810

Thank you, Jupiter. Do you know if it will work on another network? It is advertised as working on 2g or 3g. I am a complete novice!
Jb810
Accepted Solution

It is a Domino DM98
Accepted Solution

There are no 2G (GSM) networks in Australia. They have all been shut down as the frequencies were required for 4G.

I have found one site that says it has the 850MHz UMTS band that is necessary for Telstra, but all the other site say that it has the 900MHz band, which is used by Optus.

If yours isn't working, I would guess that it is the 900/2100MHz version, and won't work on the Telstra network.

My suggestion would be to grab an Optus SIM and see if that works.
Jb810

Thank you so much for your help, Jupiter. I will take the SIM kit back to Telstra and try Optus.
Jeffery20
Level 1: Cadet

@DrQ wrote:
What type of watch is it?

Can u pls specify more details?Like type of watch..it will makes easy for us to help u ..Thank you 

charleswollfe
Level 1: Cadet

wow it very intresting informations. thanks for share this!
Jb810

I returned the smart watch but Telstra store would not refund the $30 credit. Such a difficult company to deal with.

SIM card packs aren’t able to be returned to any retailer once the security tag is broken.

Most stores are licensed partners instead of company owned, if you wanted to request a refund as you feel it wasn’t suitable for purpose I would suggest speaking to the prepaid support team.

I don’t know if they would be able, as it isn’t a fault in their product but rather a limitation of your device, but it could be worth a try.

Http://tel.st/livechat/
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now