Highlighted
hafiz1
Level 2: Rookie

OPPO A73 can't make calls or receive calls

Answered

Hi there,

I have a bought a brand new OPPO A73 and I am disappointed to as to see that I can only send texts and browse internet but can't make calls. 

I am using Belong SIM which is Telstra's sister concern, I believe.

I am shocked that I can t make calls with my new phone. 

Hafiz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hafiz1
Accepted Solution

Re: OPPO A73 can't make calls or receive calls

Hi @Yastiandrie,

Thanks for suggestion.

It is fixed in the following way:
1. Install "MTK Engineer" app from google play store.
2. Open "MTK Engineer" and choose "Telephony"
3. Choose "Bandmode" and tick the box for "GSM850" under GSM and tick WCDMA (3G)
4. Press "Set" button that appears at the bottom
I can now make and receive calls.

Thanks guys for your comment

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity

Where did you buy it from?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
hafiz1
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

"This phone is unlocked to all network except Telstra NETWORK". I'm assuming this means it won't work on the 850mhz 3G band

More than likely it won't work on Belong, Aldi, Boost, and Woolworths mobile as they all use Telstra's wholesale mobile network

You may be able to unlock band 5 but it wouldn't be a given, and there is always a chance that you brick the phone: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2705912
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

It was most likely purchased through Optus' wholesales channels which means it has a version of the firmware that blocks the use of the 850MHz UMTS band that is essential for this phone to be able to be used properly on the Telstra network (as it can't use the VoLTE system).

As @Yastiandrie has pointed out, if you try to get it loaded with a universal firmware that allows the use of all the Bands, then you run the risk of Bricking the phone.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
hafiz1
Accepted Solution

Hi @Yastiandrie,

Thanks for suggestion.

It is fixed in the following way:
1. Install "MTK Engineer" app from google play store.
2. Open "MTK Engineer" and choose "Telephony"
3. Choose "Bandmode" and tick the box for "GSM850" under GSM and tick WCDMA (3G)
4. Press "Set" button that appears at the bottom
I can now make and receive calls.

Thanks guys for your comment
Support Team
Support Team

Hey hafiz1,

Thanks for the update and glad that the information that has been provided by Yastiandrie has been successful Smiley Happy

If what has been provided has resolved the issue, then please have this accepted as a solution and remember to give Kudos when applicable.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now