CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Phones out of contract

Hi all

I called Telstra tonight to kindly ask what they do with the mobiles mobile that are not in contract any more, the question was not part of the girls script and was not able to help. I needed to terminate the call because she was not understanding in or it was not part of her  script. Not sure which one it was!!!

Can someone tell me what happens to the mobile phones once their leased contracts are finished?

I am looking to purchase a phone that is less than 2 years old and at least a 5 inch screen.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Phones out of contract

If you are on a lease plan, then there are a number of different options.

You can turn the phone and cancel your service.

You can keep the phone and make another 6 months of payments and you will own the handset.

You can return the phone and take up a new contract with a new handset.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @csayers,

It's concerning that the consultant was not able to advise you of the options that are available once you finish your Lease plan. 

You can find all of the details regarding Lease plans here: https://tel.st/yyhhf

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

@Jupiter wrote:
You can keep the phone and make another 6 months of payments and you will own the handset. 

That's not what https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobile-lease-plans?red=social-care-d388743-lithium-20013492... says...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted

Good point. I forgot to put the payment at the end of the 6 months: "fair market value"
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit