CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Running Hot

Answered

Hi all,

advice please, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 G4 with Telstra.   I don't want to start a fire or worse burn my .... as that's close to where I keep my phone. 

Yesterday, I was sitting down doing nothing, no apps running, no phone calls no data, the phone was not in use other than just turned on.

I felt my leg get really hot where the phone was in my pocket, and when I took the phone out it was hot and getting hotter.  Only way to stop this was to turn the phone off, remove the battery.  I have battery magic pro on and it told me the phone got to 45C.  I have no idiea how hot it would have got if I had just let it do its thing.  The data chart shows an instant climb in temp a litterlal spike and I'm not sure how much further it would have gone if I had just left it.

The phone is stock standard. No case, screen protector and that's it.  I'm worried that if I were not there to catch this, what would have happened.

Any advice please

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9: Captain
Accepted Solution

Re: Running Hot

All I can suggest is if it happens again, feel the phone and see if one part of it is hotter than another. Not sure about the phone itself but on my Sensation I have to pull the back cover off to get the battery out. If its the same for the S2 after you pull the battery out, have a feel around inside and see if any of the chips or other components inside are really hot or if they are all the same temp.

I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Sorry about the typo's should have checked before I posted

Highlighted

A fire would be unlikely. All Lion batteries Sold in Australia, and pretty much anywhere in the world are required to have over charge and over heat safety switches inbuilt. This is as a result of the fires started by all the laptop batteries in the US. The battery is safe up to about 70C. After this point the pressure relief fail point will fail to vent the electrolyte (ether from memory which is highly flammable) to prevent the battery actually exploding. from about 50 - 55C, depending on the manufacturer of the battery, the safety switch "fails" the circuit preventing charge in or out. effectively bricking the battery, but protecting your leg from nasty burns.
I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply, so in effect, your saying I have nothing to worry about, and this is normal for this to happen to this phone?

Highlighted

I didn't say its normal for the phone, I said it would be safe, in that it wont catch fire.

Where is the hottest part of the phone.

Over on the android.net forums there was a thread where the heat was coming from the top part of the phone where the CPU and antenna is. This was resulting in freezing, probably due to the CPU OT protection kicking in. If this is where it is, I would suggest taking it back to have it checked out. part of the Heat sync may not have been put on properly or come off, or there may not be enough heat paste on it or any number of things that can cause CPUs to overheat. The same goes for the antenna. They can get hot too. especially if they aren't getting a very strong signal.

If it is just from the battery, then there shouldn't be a problem. Worst case scenario, the battery trips the OT safety and you have to get a new battery. It been a long time since a professionally made Lion battery caused a fire.

Of course if you are worried about it you definitely should take it back to where you bought it and get it checked out. The worst that happens is they tell you its normal, in which case if anything does happen, you have covered yourself and can say "but you said it was normal".
Highlighted

Wouldn't you know it, an S3 goes and makes a liar out of me.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/06/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-catches-fire/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_mediu...

Not sure what has caused this one yet but it shouldn't happen, that's for certain.
Highlighted

Thanks Tony, I'm not sure exactly where the heat was coming from, all I can tell you is that my work pants have a thigh pocket, military style and my thigh was getting rather hot. I took the phone out and it was roasting. The nurse I was with suggested taking the battery out which I did and it cooled down. I've never seen a phone do that and I've only had this phone a couple of months now.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

All I can suggest is if it happens again, feel the phone and see if one part of it is hotter than another. Not sure about the phone itself but on my Sensation I have to pull the back cover off to get the battery out. If its the same for the S2 after you pull the battery out, have a feel around inside and see if any of the chips or other components inside are really hot or if they are all the same temp.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I had an s2 catch fire. I used to notice that it got excessively hot and one day I was sleeping at a mates place on the couch and I woke to the smell of smoke. Was heaps hung over so thought nothing of it (as normally when I smelt smoke it turned out to be nothing). Went back to sleep and soon later my mate was yelling fire. Ended up pouring water on it, and the table which had caught alight. It wasn't on charge, but had a case and screen protector. Eventually I got a new phone from Samsung, took a while because they kept saying I got it wet. I had to poor water on it, had no choice.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit