CrowdSupport®
martybuzz
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra blocking my Hotspot

Answered

I have an Essential Phone.  Everything was working fine with my Hotspot before I updated to Oreo.  I used to hotspot my iPad to my phone fine.

Since the update, when I turn on myWifi Hotspot, I get the message, "Not sharing Internet or content with other devices."  I contatced Essential and they suspect what I do and that is since the update, Telstra has a security issue with the update and has blocked the Hotpspot.

I had a livechat session and sadly the person suggested everything I've already tried and directed me to a Telstra Shop.  Yes I have tried resetting the APN, etc. 

All I need is someone to look in the account and confirm what I suspect, but that hasn't happened as yet.

Thanks,

Buzz.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reagz
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra blocking my Hotspot

Marty,
I am a telstra customer and also have an Essential PH-1. I've had the same issues with Hotspot tethering not working since the android oreo beta and 8.1 updates. I have been searching for a solution on and off for the past few weeks and I finally found settings that work.

I found APN setting that are working for me (i'm typing this from my laptop using my Essential Phone as a wifi hotspot)
I created the APN as per the details below and enabled it.
Name - Telstra broadband
APN - telstra.internet
MCC - 505
MNC - 01
APN type - DUN
APN protocol - IPv4
APN roaming protocol - IPv4

All other settings were left as their default values
I hope these settings work on your essential phone too.
Good luck,

Reagz

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi, thanks for reaching out, our Mobile Faults team on 125 111 can look into this issue further and provide assistance. Let me know how you go. -Zoe 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

user3066

Bump...

Identical problem here after the Oreo update. I downgraded by flashing the official 7.1 rom from essential and the hotspot started working again but unfortunately after installing the Oreo 8.1 update OTA it stopped working again. So I can 100% confirm it's related to the update.

I will try putting a SIM from a different network in and then see if it has the same issue. If it does work we can isolate it to a Telstra and 8.1 issue. Then the easiest thing to do is probably just switch networks, I think that will be a faster solution than waiting for a fix.
martybuzz

It’s good to hear I’m not alone. I’m going to try a different network sim to see if it’s an issue and could you let me know your results. Telstra have said they don’t bock, but I don’t know.  I’ve been in contact with Essential and they suspected a block. I will email Essential with this news.  

Buzz

martybuzz

Hi Zoe, I’ve already tried the mobile faults team and didn’t get very far I’m afraid. As you can read the fault lies with the 8.1 update and Telstra. The Oreo update gives carriers more control over the APN and less control to the user. If I delete the fields in the APN type and save, it does not remain blank. When I restart the phone, APN fields are now populated with default,mms,supl,hipri,fota,ims,cbs.

Could you escalate this issue? Every thing was fine until the Oreo update.

Thank,

Buzz
martybuzz

Further update. I’ve just received an email from Essential developers. We both think that since the Oreo update, Telstra is restricting traffic through the hotspot via the APN. As the APN is manipulated by the carrier, the issue lies with the carrier. Both Optus and Vodaphone users are reporting no issues with the Oreo update on the Essential phone.

Buzz
Support Team
Support Team

Our Mobile Faults team will be best placed to assist you and investigate this further. If you would like to raise a formal complaint, you can do this here: Lodging a complaint with Telstra

- Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

martybuzz

Thanks Tim, I’ve been onto the mobile team three times now. Sadly, they just scratch their heads. I shouldn’t need to raise a complaint, just have the matter escalated. Other handsets are having the issue as well, but only on Telstra. The work around is to delete deafult,supl out of the APN type, but that doesn’t work on Telstra as the carrier re-inserts the values, which it didn’t do under 7.1. 

Buzz

martybuzz

Further to above. Read the conclusion from this post https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/77c1dj/android_tethering_and_apn_carrier_config/

Conclusion

All those previous commits were all made as part of work on Bug 38186417 in Google's internal Android bug base. It's quite obvious that some carriers (T-Mobile and AT&T are named?) are pressuring Google to not let users easily bypass their tethering configuration. In my case, T-Mobile is now actively preventing users from editing even the default APN, not just the dun APN used for tethering.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I've got Oreo running on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ and tethering is still working correctly to my laptop. My daughter's S9 is also tethering to her iPad correctly.

What are the other handsets that you believe are having problems with tethering? There may be something in common between them that is the issue.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
martybuzz

Yes, of course you will have it working on your Samsung. That is on the approved handset list for the Oreo update, so they will allow data through the APN. 

Some me of the other handsets having issues are Huawei and Google phones. 

My phone correctly tetherers to my iPad as well when I put the SIM card from my phone it it.

user3066

From my research it looks like Telstra block the "dun" APN type which allows tethering on Essential. If it's confirmed to work on other carriers I reckon it's time to go get a new SIM. I would rather have Oreo and an essential than wait for this to be fixed.
martybuzz

Yes, I agree, they’re blocking the dun. Nah, I’ll stay with Telstra as I go bush a lot. Hopefully it’ll get worked out 😜😜

user3066

Same here, that's why I use them, I figure I can always switch back later. The other option is rooting and trying some stuff off XDA but I haven't seen any confirmation it will fix it and would probably need to be re-done after every update.
user3066

Oh well, if we've achieved nothing else at least there'll be some Google results for the next guy.
martybuzz

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I might make a complaint out of it to step it up to the next level. It’s an easy fix there end.

martybuzz

Just an update. I’ve made a complaint about the issue as recommended above. Issue has now been escalated as the CSO stated it was a network fault. Let’s wait and see what happens.
Reagz
Accepted Solution

Marty,
I am a telstra customer and also have an Essential PH-1. I've had the same issues with Hotspot tethering not working since the android oreo beta and 8.1 updates. I have been searching for a solution on and off for the past few weeks and I finally found settings that work.

I found APN setting that are working for me (i'm typing this from my laptop using my Essential Phone as a wifi hotspot)
I created the APN as per the details below and enabled it.
Name - Telstra broadband
APN - telstra.internet
MCC - 505
MNC - 01
APN type - DUN
APN protocol - IPv4

All other settings were left as their default values
I hope these settings work on your essential phone too.
Good luck,

Reagz
martybuzz

Wow! Thank you, settings that finally worked! It would appear that DUN has to be in uppercase. I tried various edits and adding and nothing worked.  I escalated my complaint a few weeks ago and have heard nothing back.

Once again it was the internet that came to help. Thanks for replying. 

Buzz

user3066

Legend! One thing to note, I noticed data wasn't working on my phone but wifi sharing was after I changed the APN type to "DUN" for my default APN. However appending DUN to the comma separated list of APN type values instead fixed everything.

Thanks heaps for the solution. I had tried adding "dun"(lowercase) with no success and didn't think to try uppercase.
gt64
Level 1: Cadet

I had the same problem!

The configuration now working for me is:
Name - Telstra Internet
APN - telstra.internet
MCC - 505
MNC - 01
APN type - default,supl,DUN
APN protocol - IPv4

Samwise41

Thanks OP, looks like this issue still hasn't been resolved by Telstra as I had to use this workaround today following quite some time without a fix from Telstra
RadheyRadhey

Hi Reagz

Thank you so much for this solution.It works for me i guess the only change required in 

APN Type=DUN

Sam113

Yes, My iMessage Application working fine now, Thank you so much.

JohnSam
YonNomNom

Just set the APN Type to nothing by leaving it blank and saving it should just start working. 

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now