Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What goes into choosing your next handset?

We would like to know a little more about how you choose your next handset. If you’ve recently opted for one of our new 4G android devices or are weighing up your options to buy something soon, we’d love to hear your thoughts:

• How do you choose what android handset to buy- features, specs, looks, price, usage?
• What’s the single most important thing that you absolutely can’t compromise on in your next mobile handset?
• Is the handset manufacturer/brand (Samsung, Nokia, HTC etc.) an important factor influencing your decision?

• How criticle is the 4G Network to you when making this decision? Is it something you simply can't live without, or is it more a nice to have

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
33 REPLIES 33
dsmith6182
Level 2: Rookie

Re: What goes into choosing your next handset?

Won't compromise on software updates so it'll be a nexus phone for me next. Just hoping the next one will have 4G. Would Telstra look at stocking the new nexus if it is 4G?
hazchem
Level 1: Cadet

my first Android handest was the Nexus One and while I've tried others, nothing matches the beauty & flexibility of straight up Android installs. So Nexus devices all the way for me, that's how I decide.

Currently using a GNEX and Nexus 7, my contract should expire just in time for the next Nexus handset release. WIN.

Darbness

I would love to get the new Motorola RAZR OT Motorola X. First phone made after the Google acquisition. Motorola generally have great build quality. And for me an unlocked bootloader is a must.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have HTC One amazing build internal specs are amazing aswell defitnley need Android Phone dont like other OS that they have on market (iOS, Windows etc.) 4G is good to have i can live without it but great to have i have been HTC owner since HTC Sensation i wouldnt go back to another phone any time soon

Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Apple & Android Enthusiast, iPhone 6 Space Grey 128GB
iOS 10.0.2

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
madtiger293
Level 4: Private Eye

I like a phone to be reliable and have good storage space for photos.  It should be user friendly, and not expensive.   I tried to ask the community about the nokia lumia 520, but was told that I didn't have sufficient privileges to ask that question.  If anyone could give me advice on this phone I would be grateful! Thank you.

Mickb83
Level 10: Junior Detective

I would look at choosing a 4G phone, something with decent battery life.
But my single most important choice is a handset that is likely to receive future updates. So far I have had 3 android phones via Telstra (HTC Desire, HTC Velocity 4G & Samsung Galaxy S3 4G) and so far none of them have received the most up to date Android OS released at the relevant time.
My next phone will likely be a vanilla Google phone rather than a carrier branded phone to avoid delays in roll out of OS updates.
Level 20: Director

Seems to me mobile phones have now evolved into a fashion statement. I have a Samsung Galaxy2  4G which is two years old and still running perfectly.

Why would I want to change?

At the rate new phones are coming on the market the whole process seems out of control to me.

New one day outdated the next.

In summary, I find that 4G is great for speed but battery life is a real consideration as well.

What phone would I buy next.......probably another Samsung as I've had a good experience with the brand.

Just my 2 cents worth.

rillrill

I will buy a handset based on reputation of brand, online user (and expert reviews), price etc etc.

The single most important thing would be battery life - if a handset has poor battery life I will avoid it

Brand is definitely an important factor not so much for the 'image' but more the reputation/quality of the brand, after sales support, customisability and so on.

The 4G network is not important at all to me. I find the NextG network to be sufficiently fast enough for everything I use my mobile for. The data allowance included with mobile plans does not really allow for liberal use of mobile data anyway which is another reason 4G is not important to me. In fact I have 4G permanently turned off on my device to save battery life.

fredh

I drive and walk in the country frequently and so the blue tick indicating good rural coverage is essential. It is a safety issue. The week before Christmas I almost trod on a brown snake in the Innes National Park when 2kms away from the nearest other person. It is comforting to know that you have a phone connection to call for help if the worst happens. Also on the drive down there are several dead spots, even with blue tick phones.

The Nexus 5 seemed to me to be the perfect phone, but it doesn't have the blue tick, which rules it out.

screennametaken

I've had iPhone 3GS > Nexus S > Galaxy Nexus (current)
My contract is up in less than two months and I'm looking at getting another Nexus device. I'm really interested in the Moto X and have looked at importing one but it won't work on Au 4G frequencies. Also interested in some of the Play Store edition devices (SGS4, HTC One), but these also are not available in Au.

Criteria for for purchasing in order (most important to less)
OS (vanilla android or close to it)
4G
Hardware (screen size/res')
Camera
Updates
Styling ( I'd get a bright coloured Moto X if I could)

I'll also say I'm pretty happy with where android is atm, currently running jellybean and I'm not to fussed about updates anymore, I was desperate to get my Nexus S onto Ice Cream Sandwich a couple years ago. Now it's a good OS, just want a faster phone, better camera, and to move on to a handset that does not have some of the foibles that the Galaxy Nexus has (shuts down when plugged into charger, loudspeaker is poor now, laggy)

If I'm signing up for another 2years my next phone must have 4G. Otherwise i'll just stick with the Galaxy Nexus

Oh, and I will be waiting for the Nexus 5 to be free on the $60 plan, or i'll just buy it outright from Google Play and stay month to month.

Level 20: Director

Well guys, I've made a change in my mobile phone.

While I've had good service from my Galaxy 2 4G my new phone is a Sony Xperia Z1.

Thought about the Galaxy S4 but for my purpose the Z1 beats it hands down IMO.

(1) Great camera

(2) Water and dust proofing

(3) Sony's PC companion makes Kies look like something from the Ark.

(4) The processor is brilliant.

(5) The magnetic charging dock is so convenient.

Just my 2c worth

TheWanderer38
Level 16: Secret Agent

Hi Yannick...

I'm sure Telstra has a number of company's on it's payroll that can turn your question into a lovely market research survey that people can bother us with at shopping centre's???

If you have a spare server or san handy, perhaps I can dare you to ask a far more important and relevant question that everyone can relate to and will be more than happy to answer in great detail!

"What's wrong with Telstra and what do we need to do to fix it? "

I double-dare you....

cheers

Huntera
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have used a Telstra Pre Paid since 2000, The Cap Plan with data and calls for $100 is the best value I can find, without being locked into a monthly bill.

HTC-Touch-Pro2-Updater.jpg

Telstra has not provided a phone suitable for me since the above "HTC Touch Pro 2" QWERTY Keyboard phone. Which I kept rebuilding with parts for 5 years.

Reasons?

• Do top spec Hadware QWERTY keyboards cost more to produce?
  • Telstra historically charges too much for  top spec QWERTY
  • The iBeige Revolution and everyone following each other like sheep, with touch screen phones. (Once upon a time) touch screen phones were unpopular. Same again with the Galaxy Series.
  • Telstra does not get the sales for Hardware QWERTY Keyboard phones, because of the low end specs of phones they have sold with QWERTY keyboards.

Motorola_Photon_Q_4G_LTE.jpg

The above Motorola Photon Q is my current phone,  full specs here

Unfortunately I have to look worldwide for my phones because Telstra does not sell a compatible handset for my needs.

Must have specs:

• Hardware QWERTY keyboard (So I can type easily without having half the screen covered like a Black Berry)
  • Be compatible with Telstra's 850mhz NextG network (Living in Tasmania I need the coverage)
  • Able to be flashed with Android.
  • Close to the fastest processor on the market
  • Standalone GPS capability (So I can use my navigation programs)
  • FULL HD output, via Hardware port or DLNA (So I can use my phone as TV Entertainment System / Computer)
  • HID Bluetooth Profiles (So I can use wireless keyboards and mouse.)
  • Great Camera
  • Compact Size (Has to be able to fit in my pockets along with my keys, wallet, and smokes.)
  • Rugged (Has to be able to go the distance)

Brand is of no influence the phone needs to have the hardware.

4G or 3G does not matter, as long as I have mobile data. Faster Data is always better.

On screen keyboards are something people have got used to. Typing a large email with an on screen keyboard would be a pain. You loose half your viewing on the screen and there is not tactile feel.
I have spoken to quite a few people that would like a QWERTY keyboard if it had the same specs as Flag Ship Samsung or HTC.

JeniSkunk
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@Yannick wrote:

We would like to know a little more about how you choose your next handset.
• How do you choose what android handset to buy- features, specs, looks, price, usage?
• What’s the single most important thing that you absolutely can’t compromise on in your next mobile handset?
• Is the handset manufacturer/brand (Samsung, Nokia, HTC etc.) an important factor influencing your decision?

• How criticle is the 4G Network to you when making this decision? Is it something you simply can't live without, or is it more a nice to have

For me, I like the physical screenestate available on tablets. My first Telstra Android device was the Telstra T-Touch Tab (Telstra rebadged Huawei Smarkit S7-104). Since I have become accustomed to using a tablet as a phone, I find I immediately disregard any and all new released tablets which cannot be used as a cellphone.

I have no loyalty to any single device manufacturer, and in fact, I tend to avoid the majors like Samsung, HTC, and LG, due to their attempts to bury Android under their bloated skins and apps. The majors have nice looking devices, but until GPE devices are readily available outside the US, I am forced to look at the minor players simply to get untainted Android devices.

As far as must have specs go, 4G would be nice, but it's not absolutely essential.

What is essential in the specs are microSD card support and native res 720p capable screen.

My general data loadout is currently weighing in at about 26Gb. Even on a 64Gb device, that is a sizeable amount of onboard storage chewed up. So for my use, an SD card is not an optional, it is an absolute MUST.

Native res 720p capable screen is the minimum I will accept since there is now so much 720p and higher content available online.

Jenifur Charne

wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

Apps using Android 4.1.2, can't be moved to the SD Card on Android 4.3.2 ether. I used to be able to do it on my old HTC Desire but not on any Samsung device!!! That is locked up along with lock screen Apps now non existent on 4.3.2, WHY!!!

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
Level 23: Superhero

Developers of Android apps need to explicitly make their apps available to move to the SD card using the “android:installLocation” attribute in the manifest element of their app. If they don’t, the option to “Move to SD card” is grayed out. 

Simply put, many Android apps cannot run from the SD card while the card is mounted. So if the app handles something like an alarm to remind you of your dentist appointment it just wouldn't work as it requires a dirct syncing link to the main device operating system.

Widget support is another big reason apps may be prevented from running on the SD card. If an app is installed on the SD card, the widgets from that app become unavailable to select once the device is mounted. The device must be restarted for the widgets from the app to show up as an option again.

There are many other reasons why an app may be disallowed from moving to the SD card. If the app handles background syncing, runs as a service, or utilizes an account, the app will not fully function from an SD card while it is mounted.

The best types of app for running on the SD card are games. Games typically don’t have to run in the background or handle any important tasks on the device throughout your day. They also typically take up the most space, making them perfect candidates for an SD card install.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
JeniSkunk

Deanja, your description is only half right, as it merely states the cause of the problem, and not the work-around.

Link2SD https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD

What you need:

A rooted Android device with microSD capability.

A second primary partition on the microSD card.

What this does:

It allows users to install the app, it's Dalvik Cache and its Libs to the second primary partition.

This is BETTER than the App2SD flag as it frees up a lot more space than App2SD.

Also, you can install Widgets into this second primary partition and use them without issues.

edit: fix formatting

Jenifur Charne

Level 21: Augmented

Im with Huntera on this I need the darned Keyboard but I will go a couple better:

-Keyboard

I dont just need a keyboard I would like a keyboard like this old HipTop2  (made by Sharp at the time and os was java based at the time) the rubberised keyboard was brilliant (and yes while it is now unuasable I do still have mine)

- Ringtone, Notification Alerts, Alarms.

These need to match the volume capacity of the Hiptop2 and the T1 - T4 Telstra Discovery Series as mentioned in this post

- SD Card ability so this probably means only android 4.0.4 after that sd card usability is getting denied Smiley Sad or made problematic.

- Flashlight ability

- Camera

- Ability to play all music and video files not just mp3 or mp4 junk, so im talking like midi files, avi files, flacc, ogg, wma, wav, etc

The closet I have found available in Australia Sony Experia x10 mini but its outdated Smiley Sad or the samsung captivate glide which are not available anymore to my knowledge or if they are way too danmed expensive given their age etc.... but I dont know how loud they are which is a major point of interest for me....

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
RH92

As everyone has mentioned research the specs, pros and cons as well asconsidering  your individual wants and needs. Also an important step which i unfortunatly missed was research problems and defects with a specific device,

Just got the Sony Xperia Z2 to find out first hand that the screens will smash will little to no pressure or force. smashed in my pocket and seems to be a common problem online. 

RH92

My Z2 just smashed in my pocket when i was sitting down... Great phone but flimsy frame with two glass panels is no good.

adil

i got phne 0n 70 dollars plan wit phone cover its its 83 dollars but the first bill i just got is 107 dollars y is it so even though i didnt use extra data or creadit

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi adil, 

Telstra bills a month in advance, so on your first bill you can receive charges for up to 2 months of your new service

I would say from the amount you've mentioned in your post that you've received charges for 1 month, and an additional 1.5 weeks of service. 
So this means that your assigned billing period finished 1.5 weeks after you obtained the service.

For your first bill this means you were billed a month in advance, and for an additional 1.5 weeks of service making it higher than the $83 that you expected.

On your next bill, assuming you don't incur any additional charges, you'll simply be billed for 1 month of service. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Toddyg

Drooling, every time I see a Samsung Galaxy S5 . I have recently purchased the galaxy tab s 10.5 which is the tablet version of the S5 , I believe it would make the ultimate match pairing the two ahhhhhgggggg I can dream.
chongsu

For me, choosing an android handset has to tick certain boxes or it has to excel in one field that no other phone can. I tend to opt only for the highest end phones, so my thoughts only apply for the flagships and not to low to mid range phones. Why skimp on quality when the phone is the one device that you will use for most of the day?

Anyhow, In the current state of flagship phones, they all tend to have fairly comparable specs. To me, I don't really pay attention to that (who cares if a snapdragon 801 has 0.1 more ghz vs another device). A phone needs to look good, feel good in the hand and have a great user experience (I.e. Good UI, intelligently placed hardware, battery life, great camera, thin etc etc). A flagship phone also needs to have a great display though it's becoming more and more of a level playing field these days.

For me, there's two most important things I can't compromise on, 1. is the battery and 2. Is the camera. The HTC one m8 is a great example of this. It has great battery life, but i simply can't get over the poor quality of the camera.

Added features are great but they need to be useful. Waterproofing the phone is a great feature. Putting a heart rate monitor next to the camera is less so. It needs to be practical for everyday use.

Brands don't matter to me. As long as their product is good, then it shouldn't matter who made the phone.

And in 2014, 4G is a must. Once you've tasted the speeds, you can't go back to anything less than that. Think of 56k to ADSL.
MzKylz
Level 6: Bloodhound

Samsung Note Series.... Nuff said... lol.
jonno234

I recently bought a Galaxy S5.

It was my first Android after having iPhones since the iPhone 3G.

I am glad I made the switch as I personally find Android to be a lot more customisable and easier to tailor the phone to your personal needs.

With that being said, its unlikely that I will choose Samsung again. While they tend to have a lot of hidden little features, I find that this has slowed the phone's software down significantly, and I rarely use any of these features. This is certainly not to say that Samsung does not make good products, they definitely do and the amount of R & D that goes into these devices is incredible. I also dont care for the UI of Samsung's Touchwiz interface that goes on top of the Android OS

My next phone will likely be a Sony, Nexus or HTC flagship model. Something that runs a close to stock version of Android.

Some must haves for me, knowing what I know now and having owned iPhones and the Smasung Galaxy:

-Waterproof (This has proved extremely useful more than once and I will NEVER have another phone without it)

-5+ inch screen

-Android OS

-Expandable memory

-4Gx

-A device that is able to receive OTA updates quickly (I beleive Nexus will be best for this)

-Good Camera

-Long battery life

KitEKat
Level 11: Detective

Agree Jonno..
Big battery, good camera, expandable memory and most important of all, on top of everything.. Bypass telco bloat and direct ota fw updates.. That is nexus devices..
However, in uncertain about sticking with Telstra now, because for some insane reason, they have blocked nexus 5 update..
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@Yannick wrote:

1. Is it a Google Device (Nexus)

2. Having stock Android / AOSP / Custom ROM

3. Yes, I have had the Xperia Z, Z1. However now swapped to Nexus.

4. Needs to be 4G / 4GX compatible.

I've owned iPhones, Samsung, and HTC devices in the past. Won't go back again.

iPhone 4 > Galaxy S2 > HTC One > Xperia Z > Xperia Z1 > Nexus 5.

The Z/Z1 was the best for the camera and waterproofing. The Nexus was the best all round.

My Wife went from an iPhone 4 > Galaxy S2 > HTC One > Xperia Z > Galaxy S5 > iPhone 6.

Out of all the phones, the iPhone 6 has been the best for her. The Galaxy S5 was a horrible phone.

dsjohnson001

Personally it's got to be a good package. Good camera , large storage or an sd card option. Great battery life.
And as little carrier apps as possible. The HTC one m8 is a great example but has a really terrible camera.

I think the main priority is updates for each handset.
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@dsjohnson001 wrote:
The HTC one m8 is a great example but has a really terrible camera.

That's what I like about my Nexus 5. Great all-rounder (minus the SD card). When I get enough money, will definitely jump on the N6 too!

trent0831
Level 4: Private Eye

The plan value as well as handset coverage (blue tick) will be what goes into my next one..have had my galaxy s4 for nearly 2 years with no issues, my only problem was the salesman at the time told me it was bluetick compatible...two other people in my house have recently upgraded to the s5 which is bluetick and they get 2-3 more bars of coverage than me at all times whereas i have only ever been able to get that standing outside.

skeetdog

Hi

Im not sure which phone to purchase a samsung note 4 or note 3 or samsung galaxy s5 or lg g3 or htc one m8 or htc one m7 or galaxy a5 or motorola moto x

Im coming apple iphone 4s i would love watch youtube and video on phone and much more

Highlighted
WittleWaynE

Hmm how about:

Very good reception for the bush

Long battery life

Robust and water proof

Multi band width support

Dual sim so you can have voice and data to get the best rates and coverage etc not to mention having voip with you.

Reliable and good service backuip

No bloat ware

Reasonable storage for maps picies ertc

Not flag ship price so better budget wise.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now