Grimlious
Level 2: Rookie

Xiaomi Redmi 6A global version mobile data

Answered
I've tried a few of the APN settings found online for telstra, telstra.wap, telstra.internet etc. Can't seem to get it to work, it randomly started working twice in the past week, but as soon as the phone is rebooted it's dead again. I've checked the bands etc they seem good for oz. Am I missing something? Phone's not in flight mode and mobile data is turned on, live chat refreshed my account whatever that means. Calls and sms work 100
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stephendt
Accepted Solution

Re: Xiaomi Redmi 6A global version mobile data

I can chime in here with the same issue. I am not sure what Telstra has going on with thier end of things, since this device works fine on Optus and Vodafone, but one thing that did actually solve my problem was changing the APN from telstra.wap to telstra.iph. I didn't think that telstra.iph was still being used, but it turns out it is and it works without issues. Nothing wrong with the phone itself, and I imagine some other chinese devices may have the same issues (eg. Huawei, Oppo, Vivo, etc). Use the following settings and you should be good to go:

Name: Telstra 2

MMSC: (URL removed by Telstra, it's the standard MMSC one)

MMS proxy: 10.1.1.180

MMS port: 80

MCC: 505

MNC: 01

Authentication type: none

APN protocol: IPv4

APN: telstra.iph

APN type: default,supl,mms

Also - if your hotspot doesn't work for some reason, add ",dun" to your APN type.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It doesn't have one of the main LTE Bands that is used, band 28. The lack of that band will make it fairly hit and miss.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 22: Superhuman

Your best solution is to buy a Telstra phone to suit the network. Yours is one of many similar complaints re issues with non Australian sourced phones.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Grimlious

Hi,
Thanks for the response, I get the band 28 might cause lte to be hit and miss, but why doesn't it connect to 3g then if i limit it to 3g networks only? Relatively new phone, and i like it, so I'd rather try and figure out what's happening vs buying a new one. What baffles me is the 2 times it connected, after connecting I could travel between towers no problem, it stayed connected.
Grimlious

Hi,
Thanks for the response, I'd rather try and figure out what's happening before buying a new phone, as this one is quite new and I enjoy using it. Very few phones give me this amount of value for the price.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

It does have the 850Mhz Telstra use for 3G so should be okay on the 3G network.

APN should be telstra.wap, if you have this apn and have the phone set to 3G only it still doesn’t connect?
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Grimlious

Hi,
Nope still doesn't connect. Under settings>about phone> status> sim status> mobile network state just shows connecting the whole time.
I also did a factory reset.
Grimlious

Went in store today to hopefully find a solution, have to say in-store help was not very helpful.
stephendt
Accepted Solution

I can chime in here with the same issue. I am not sure what Telstra has going on with thier end of things, since this device works fine on Optus and Vodafone, but one thing that did actually solve my problem was changing the APN from telstra.wap to telstra.iph. I didn't think that telstra.iph was still being used, but it turns out it is and it works without issues. Nothing wrong with the phone itself, and I imagine some other chinese devices may have the same issues (eg. Huawei, Oppo, Vivo, etc). Use the following settings and you should be good to go:

Name: Telstra 2

MMSC: (URL removed by Telstra, it's the standard MMSC one)

MMS proxy: 10.1.1.180

MMS port: 80

MCC: 505

MNC: 01

Authentication type: none

APN protocol: IPv4

APN: telstra.iph

APN type: default,supl,mms

Also - if your hotspot doesn't work for some reason, add ",dun" to your APN type.

Grimlious

Thanks I have tried this apn before with no luck. The way I've got it working now is I dial *#*#4636#*#* when the menu pops up I go to the sim, change it Global PRL ( it's normally at LTE/UMTS) and reboot the phone. When it reboots it connects just fine. Have to do this every time it disconnects or I had my phone in flight mode or rebooted etc.
Highlighted
Balint
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks a lot stephendt, now my Xiaomi Redmi 6A (bought in India) is working fine on Telstra 4G.

Customer Care of Telstra just told me that Xiaomi is not compatible with Telstra SIM, so I should use another phone. But your advise helped me, I set APN to telstra.iph .

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now