CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
teknofarmer
Level 2: Rookie

hotspot connection but no internet access

Answered

My Motorola RAZR xt 910 used to provide my internet access through hotspot. I had a new mainboard fitted and now my laptop shows as being connected to the hotspot but it cannot access the 'net. The RAZR can access the 'net on its own and both the laptop and the RAZR can access the 'net when connected to other wifi networks.

Can anyone assist?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: hotspot connection but no internet access

Hi Neil_D,

To setup an APN on the Z2 you'll need to go to Settings > More.. > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > Touch on the + button to create a new one >

Name: Internet

APN: telstra.internet

MCC: 505

MNC: 01

APN type: default

APN protocol: IPv4

APN Roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: Enable

Then touch back and make sure the Green dot is next to the APN you have just created.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
45 REPLIES 45
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi,

That is very strange, do you have another computer or device that you can try connecting to the hotspot? Ultimately if the internet works on the handset and the laptop can't connect to the hotspot there isn't much assistance we can offer. The hotspot feature is a manufacturer feature and there is little we can do to troubleshoot it.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

teknofarmer

G'day Matt,

Yeah, strange indeed. I tried another android tablet and got the same response. The same thing happens when USB tethered as well. The laptop is registered as being connected both on the phone as well as within the windows settings and the connection page will show minimal packet transfer after extended connection times. Network connection addresses are acquired and verified. It feels like a setting somewhere is restricting data use.

Cheers

Warren

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Warren,

That is very odd indeed, I'd suggest trying it on a different computer to see if it still works. But it does sound like something on the computer is restricting the data flow. 

-Matt W

teknofarmer

Hey Matt,

It appears the computer is working fine as it can connect to another wifi access point, yet another wireless enabled tablet gets the same response from my RAZR's hotspot - connection but no access so it suggests a setting in the phone.

Cheers

Warren

Neil_D

I know that this is an old thread, but it has happened to me in the last week, on my Sony Xperia Z2.

Have had a long discussion with SonTech Support, and they suggest Telstra APN details need to change.

How should we set up "Telstra Internet" APN to a "Telstra Internet" profile instead of a "Telstra WAP" one?

It is NOT the fault of the computer, as it is an issue on multiple devices using the hotspot....

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Neil_D,

To setup an APN on the Z2 you'll need to go to Settings > More.. > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > Touch on the + button to create a new one >

Then touch back and make sure the Green dot is next to the APN you have just created.

-Matt W

View solution in original post

Peter_Bettinzol
Level 1: Cadet

I was having this issue with my Z2 recently as well. Your fix has worked Matt, thanks. Really annoying that was ever an issue though.
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for getting back to us Peter, glad to here the fix worked. Smiley Happy

retiredaussies

I have this same problem with my zeperia z2. This workaround did not work. Is there another answer?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi retiredaussies,

There have been two issues raised in this thread. Which particular issue are you experiencing there?

-Matt W

Mickb83
Level 10: Junior Detective

@Matt_Telstra I have a Z2 as well. I am having issues getting an internet connection via hotspot.
I've just tried changing the apn settings but it still isn't connecting properly.
I can connect to the hotspot on my laptop, but there is no internet connection.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mickb83,

Does the internet work fine on the handset standalone? There may be an issue with the hotspot feature on your handset itself.

You may need to try factory resetting the handset to see if it resolves the issue.

-Matt W

Mickb83
Level 10: Junior Detective

Hi Matt_Telstra,
Yes the internet works fine on the phone itself.
I was trying to avoid a factory reset. I guess I'll have to back the phone up and give it a try.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mickb83,

Please let us know how it goes. 

-Patrice 

Slats75

@Matt_Telstra wrote:

Hi Neil_D,

-Matt W

This worked for me on an xperia 2. I could connect to Hot Spot with various devices (iPad and Laptop), but could not access the internet no matter what I tried. As soon as I added the telstra internet APN, it worked immediately. I didn't even have to restart hot spot, let alone the phone. Thanks Everyone!

Matt S

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Glad to hear it worked for you Slats75 Smiley Happy

-Matt W

startrax

Same issue, XPERIA Z2. Hotspot works, but no Internet connection. Tried setting up new APN as above with no success.
There were 2 APNs preconfigured: telstra.wap and telstra.mms, with the. wap selected. (Unable to select the most, don't know if significant ).
Set up telstra.internet, tried both 'default' and blank in APN type.
Was able to select new APN, still no internet over hotspot.
Running 4.4.4
Any more suggestions?
startrax

After a bit more research I found a value of * as the APN type which has done the trick. Don't understand, but happy to find a solution.
Stephanos

You are a star startrax. For the first time ever I have managed to tether Internet using my X2 on the Telstra network. It was fine in the US using my ATT sim, but never with Telstra, even though it is a Telstra phone. A bit embarrassing for Telstra really. Thank you for the asterisk hint!
Bunter

Legend Startrax - that fixed it.  Thanks to Matt from Telstra too.  Have been banging my head against the wall with this one for a while, Telstra should have had this squared away in the first place.  Don't have the issue with my Xperia phone via Vodafone, just the Telstra Z2 tablet.

Metaball

Omg... Pulling my hair out on this one. I have a Z2 that stopped tethering ages ago. I was hoping that lollipop would fix it but all that did was confirm that there was an issue with the phone actually throwing up an error of 'tethering failed'. I tried the APN settings in here and the error no longer displayed when I try to connect any device to the phone it gets an ip address but no internet access... =( ready to take it back to Telstra and ask for a refund. I need this feature and it simply doesn't work.
Metaball

Fixed it! APN type 'default,dun' ... Stupid thing, why all the different APN between devices?
MeltingBanana

Thanks Metaball, those settings worked for me: default, dun on my Xperia Z2

tn40

Windows 10 has solved this problem. No need to use "telsta.internet" It now works fine using "telstra'wap" My Xperia Z2 phone is using Android 5.1.1 and my computer is a Surface Pro 3 runing Windows 10 Pro

Rinsui

Having same problem on my Telstra Buzz ZTE Blade QLux hotspot.

I have tried all the recommendations on this page - no luck getting it activated. Still getting "No internet", though at one stage I didn't get that message, but still couldn't open a webpage. I'm running Windows 10 so that's not the solution either.

Only curious thing I can see is that when I'm in the "telstra internet" access point, the "APN enable/disable" button is greyed out (can't swith on or off). Why would this be?

Any other solutions? Have been working on this problem for weeks, including getting a replacement phone from Telstra, which didn't solve the issue.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Rinsui,

That is the default APN that you're talking about. You won't be able to remove it. I suggest giving us a call on 13 22 00 and speak with the mobile faults team so we can take you through some steps to try and resolve this issue.

Also have you spoken to ZTE about this? The hotspot function is a manufacturer feature. They may be able to shed some light on the issue if its a known problem.

-Matt W

justino

I have a HTC one m8 and basically have the same problem.
Just swapped carriers yesterday - put in my new Telstra SIM sim card and sadly I am now no longer able to access the internet through either of my 2 tethered devices MacBook pro and iPad air2. I am however able to access internet through the HTC. 12 hours earlier there were no problems while the previous carriers SIM card was in. So I rang the support number as recommended above and the guy suggested the problem was the other devices and that resetting them might help. Stupidly I followed his advice. Now I have an iPad that doesn't work As you can't restore it without internet. I called again and when I entered the APN settings which the Telstra support lady recommended I am unable to select the New APN. If I put in a different APN type (she suggested dun) I am able to set it as my APN, but it still won't share.
Telstra u r pissing me off.
How hard can it be to not have this happen? Other carriers seem capable of achieving this, why can't you!!!
I have gone through all the above suggestions and a few more scattered around the internet, but nothing works. Sadly my old SIM card is now cancelled. Grrrrrr.
And no the problem is not the device.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Justino, 

It sounds like a bit of conflict between your devices. I would recommend taking your Phone and Ipad into a Telstra store to the Tech Bar, and getting them to check it out for you.  http://tel.st/uyc2

-      Regards 

Footprint

All of a sudden in the last few days my Windows 10 laptop cannot tether to my samsung galaxy s 5.
My laptop shows the Android hotspot which it used to connect to autoatically but now after thinking about it for a while it just says cant establish a connection.
It is so frustrating being with Telstra. Lucky my wfe is with optus and I can tether to that hotspot
ktsbob

I also have the same "no internet" when connected to my new S5 Samsung.
It is NOT the phone. It is NOT the connecting fevice
ktsbob

Hit the wrong button, fat fingers.
"Devices"
My old phone died and did connect.
My new copy sims, from std to micro, was done a Telstra
This is the second S5 as first returned because no access
I have since EXCHANGED my sims with my partners and all works!!!!!!!!
To add insult, MY sims worked fine in her S4
Swap them back and the problem is still there.

It seems to be a SIMS V APN issue. That is a Telstra problem.

How about a fix please
Robodaddy

Hello Everyone.

If you are connecting to the hot spot it is not a connection issue.

The problem will be with the configuration of services via the APN.

The Telstra APN should look like this.

Name: Telstra Internet
APN: telstra.iph
Proxy: Not required
Port: Not required
Username: Not required
Password: Not required
Server: Not required
MMSChttp://mmsc.telstra.com:8002
MMS proxy: 10.1.1.180
MMS port: 80
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
Authentication type: Not required
APN type: default,supl,mms,wap

The main settings required for internet are APN: telstra.iph and APN type:wap.

Regards,

Robodaddy

nope, tried this and lost all telstra internet , on the phone as well

sorry, that didny work on my Aspera

symo1962

Got this as well - running a Nexus 5 (6.0.1) - played around with all the APN settings - default, supl, dun etc and nothing.  I mean what the hell is going on with this.  Spoekn to Telstra on phone twice - no idea - they werent even aware ad yet a simple internet scan would show up all the issues people are having.  Been in to store - useless!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What are the APN settings that you configured in your phone? telstra.wap or telstra.internet?

- Shelly

symo1962

Got APN set to telstra.wap - telstra.internet makes no difference - also same issue with partners phone across pc's and macs.  treied every variation of apn type - factory reset etc.  My guess now is my account is locked from accessing internet through tethering,  my guess is it goes back to the early days of mbolie internet access.  Had this telstra account for years.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

How did these settings go @symo1962?

Are you able to brows the internet from the phone without the hotspot being connected?

- Matt

symo1962

Jeez - if the bog standard settings worked I wouldnt have this issue.  So far - 2 tech people, 1 visit to a store and now several online conversations and no one seems ot have a clue!

Have you investigated the Android upgrade to Marshmallow 6.0.1 which seems to have a bit of a mention.  Has anyone at Telstra actually googled this issue????

There is apparently another fix that involves developer access to the phone - got that - but only works for Windows

Grant1969
Level 3: Gumshoe

Go here and do this. It worked for me.

Go to settings

scroll to network connections

tap more networks

tap mobile networks

tap access point names

Reset your apn by tap the menu icon and tap reset to default

Good luck

Grant

Grant1969
Level 3: Gumshoe

This is for an S5
Sirphillip

Hello I have the OnePlus 3T using Oxygen 4.0.3, Android version 7.

I am able to connect my iphone 5s, Macbook Air, iPad 4 and Toshiba Chromebook to the phone. All devices register as connected, the hotspot icon on the taskbar of the Oneplus is on, but I am unable to access the internet on any of the devices. I can connect by bluetooth but still no internet. I tethered to the Macbook with a cable, but no internet. Any ideas?

I use the same sim in my iphone 5 and can connect to thee mentioned devices easily and the internet works. 

I've tried all the solutions listed in this forum but none of them work for me. So I'm guessing it is the OnePlus 3T is the problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks again Phillip

Oldguy11

I have an Acer laptop that i tether to my samsung galaxy s4 for internet access. The Acer still recognises the hotspot, but i have no internet access. The same applies when i tether to my samsung tablet and samsung s5 fone. All three can tether to my wife's laptop, so the problem is wth settings in the laptop. Any ideas?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Oldguy11,

Are you able to tether to your Acer laptop off the tablet or s5 or are you also having issues using those devices?

-Chris 

Oldguy11

None of my mobile devices allowed internet access. But I've finally sorted it by resetting wifi adaptors. Didn't know about that because the scoll bar doesn't appear untill you roll your mouse over the list. Thanks all
Support Team
Support Team

Glad to hear you've sorted that out Oldguy11.

Let me know if there's anything else we can assist with.

-Chris

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit