Highlighted
joshiboi9
Level 1: Cadet

Apple Music Free 24month subscription not registering to iTunes account

Answered

Hi All,

I cant seem to get my Apple Music Free 24month subscription not registering to iTunes account.

It comes up with an error stateing 'you do not have a subscription through your carrier'

I'm unsure how to get this to work...

I have since confired my subscription started on the 22nd of september... I've now gone into manage my bookings and chosen to remove the subscription with hope once its removed and i readd it it will work.

Any ideas would be greatly apprecaited, Its greatly frustrating that it don't take you to a page where you simply type in the apple id and bang, its registed for 24months... anyway, regarless if you could please set out the steps needed to make sure the subscriotion works that would be great!

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Apple Music Free 24month subscription not registering to iTunes account

That's correct Apple cannot see the Telstra subscription as this is a separate carrier service. Ensure you've checked the FAQs here:  https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653  If you've done that there's a link to music support for further assistance. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
201 REPLIES 201
HammoTime

I've got a very similar problem although instead of offering up an error, my Apple Music just launches and closes the carrier dialogue. I've been on the phone in a merry-go-round between Telstra and Apple for the last six hours.

I think it might be an issue on Apple's end because my subscription has been re-added by support already. Mine was an issue with the trial. Honestly, not sure if they're the same but it is a real hassle trying to get something working that should work.

Cmm3
Level 2: Rookie

Same problems here. Can't get it to work. Keeps throwing to a confirm Apple ID screen and then does nothing. I do seem to be logged in sometimes as I can get the option to save for offline listening. It then takes me to settings to turn on iCloud Music Library which won't stay toggled on. Incredibly frustrated and have also been dealing with Apple and Telstra all day with them each blaming the other. Telstra removed and re-added my subscription which has not helped at all.

I can't see the subscription even listed in my Apple ID account settings. 

adrianamos

There is definitely a system problem between Apple and Telstra. My problem is slightly different for now as I have not been able to get past "This Apple ID is being used with a different membership"

My Apple trial membership has ended, so I'm wondering why it can't recognise that it has ended and just change me over to the Telstra offer?

I was in contact with a Senior AppleCare Advisor who referred me back to Telstra. I called Telstra and they immediately referred me back to Apple until I mentioned that I had already been in touch with Apple.

I don't mind so much that technology doesn't work sometimes. What I do mind is being passed backwards and forwards. This is obviously a widespread issue that is beginning to effect a lot of people as their 3 month Apple trial ends. At least just let us know that there is an issue and we are working on it.

Anyway after some persistence, I've found out from someone in the know that there is actually issues between Telstra and Apple. What that is they couldn't tell me. They did let me know they are aware of it and working on it.

In the mean time we just have to wait...
Support Team
Support Team

Hi adrianamos,

At what step in the activation process are you getting that error?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Lexie1

I'm also having this issue!

i was also on the free trial until I signed up to the Telstra offer.

After speaking with Telstra support for 40 mins i've managed to get it to work on my phone (Telstra support stated the Apple ID won't show a subscription/will show it has expired but it will somehow register that you're on Telstra and play the music as if you're subscribed).

however, it does not work on iPad as Apple music iPad app said I need to join and when I try to join it said my ID is already linked to a subscription but then it won't let me continue.

appears to be an issues with the Telstra service not registering with our Apple IDs properly ??

Kairu

I am getting this same issue. It asks me to confirm to link my Apple ID with my Telstra account and it does nothing. I have been on the phone to both Apple and Telstra and also went into stores for both and noone can help me.

gh_013

Lexie1's summary covers my experience:

- Telstra offer works ok on phone (subscription is not visible in apple music settings).

- Does not work on any other device (iPad, iPod, desktop).

It'd be great if it did work on other devices using the same login credentials.

HeTheB
Level 3: Gumshoe

I had the same problem (Apple Music works on iPhone but no other device)

TLDR: Telsra confirmed it's an issue at their end. They took my email and will contact me when it's fixed.

Spent about 40 minutes with Apple after getting the flick from Telstra. The Apple rep confirmed he can't see the Telstra Carrier Bundle on my AppleID but that link can only be made by Telstra. He believed that I should see the carrier bundle recorded on my AppleID subscriptions when it is working. He was great even stayed on the line while I did chat session with a second Telstra rep.

Much better support and training from the Apple rep.
MJHart

Same problem here - accounts not linking although I've now lost all my saved music and playlsts, the only music that has retained are the few songs I had synced form the computer. Has anyone else had this problem?

HeTheB

I had a problem on the iPhone that sounds the same - On the iPhone I got my playlists and saved not downloaded music back by going to Settings, Music. Look in the Library section of that page and under Sort by Albums should be an option iCloud Music Library - I had to turn that back on.
NccTardis

I'm stuck on the screen where I'm asked to enter my Apple ID password to complete the link and start my free service. It does nothing when I enter my password.
I've now lost my Apple Music service entirely, including songs I downloaded as part of my trial.
Any chance Telstra want to deliver the service they said they would?
Support Team
Support Team

Hi NccTardis, I'd recommend troubleshooting here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653 

S
pecifically 

1. What do I do if I forget my Apple ID or password & cannot login or access Apple Music?

Your Apple Music login is the same as your Apple ID. You can retrieve this here: https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid

You can reset your password here: https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid?language=GB-EN 

If you are still having issues, please contact AppleCare on http://getsupport.apple.com  and see how you go Smiley Happy

NccTardis

The issue isn't my password, it's when I enter all the info and tap next, nothing happens. At all.
Support Team
Support Team

Try clearing the cache in your phone app manager and see if that helps, If you are still having issues, please contact AppleCare on http://getsupport.apple.com  and see how you go.

StevieJ

Hi Lexie1

How did you get it to work please?

Thanks

@Lexie1 wrote:

I'm also having this issue!

i was also on the free trial until I signed up to the Telstra offer.

After speaking with Telstra support for 40 mins i've managed to get it to work on my phone (Telstra support stated the Apple ID won't show a subscription/will show it has expired but it will somehow register that you're on Telstra and play the music as if you're subscribed).

however, it does not work on iPad as Apple music iPad app said I need to join and when I try to join it said my ID is already linked to a subscription but then it won't let me continue.

appears to be an issues with the Telstra service not registering with our Apple IDs properly ??

byrie77

I've got the exact same issue. 

Apple 3 month trial expired, Telstra trial didn't kick in. 

Didn't renew after the 3 month Apple trial.

LiveChat rep tried resetting my 12 mth Telstra trial.

Now I can't get past the Apple Music login screen, and thus can't activate iCloud Music Library.

Have rung Apple - they didn't even know about the Telstra deal.

Rang Telstra support - didn't have a clue.

Talked to someone on LiveChat - renewed the Telstra trial, but that didn't help, as explained above.

Went into a store - they couldn't help me.

Oh dear, Telstra...

Support Team
Support Team

Hi byrie77 I can advise that the Telstra Apple Music offer is not compatible with any other trial, it will not have automatically kicked in at the end of your 3 month offer. You'll need to have the previous offer removed from your account by Apple in order to take up our offer. You also will not be able to see the Telstra offer under your iTunes subscription as this is completely separate. Once you've had the previous trial removed you then login to your Telstra My Account to enable the Telstra Apple Music subscription. You'll receive a confirmation SMS and you'll then be able to access via Apple Music on your handset which is included in iOS9. See how you go Smiley Happy

Phusion8

Hi Cas,

Would there be a specific method or a department we should be referring to?

I spoke with someone from Apple and they basically had the trial subscription showing canceled instead of expired which resulted in the same outcome. With AppleID we need to have the previous trial removed from our "manage" section in our appleID settings.
Justex

I am having a similar issue here guys.

I had a trial from Apple, that expired so I enabled the subscription from Telstra.

It's working on my iPhone, iMac and MBP but not my iPad.

An hour with Apple support:

- first support agent says "contact Telstra"

- second "technical" agent says "contact Telstra"

An hour with Telstra support 

- first agent says "contact apple", I told him they said to contact you. He looked into it further and said "I'll transfer you to our post-paid technical team who will cancel the subscription and re apply it", no worried we get transferred.

- second agent has no idea what's going on and starts telling me to "delete your Apple Music app and re download it from the App Store". Like seriously come on, I disconnected and gave up.

Apple has said they cant see the subscription.

someone please help!!

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

That's correct Apple cannot see the Telstra subscription as this is a separate carrier service. Ensure you've checked the FAQs here:  https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653  If you've done that there's a link to music support for further assistance. 

Velove

So, basically what you're telling people is this: your Apple Music subscription is device dependent and will not work on any device other than your iPhone.

That's not what we were all lead to believe - clearly it's not or there wouldn't be so many people expressing their concern.

An Apple Music subscription when purchased from Apple is entirely device agnostic - in fact, they would neverr get away with trying to tie an individuals subscription to a specific device. So why has Telstra decided to do so? And why was this not made abundantly clear UP FRONT, BEFORE we all re-signed our contracts?

As a Telstra client who spends quite litterally thousands of dollars per year with your company, I would like a detailed and full explanation of how this can possibly happen and what you intend to do about the dissatisfaction this situation is causing amongst your clients.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Velove, our Apple Music free 24 month subscription is not the same as iTunes or Apple Music from Apple direct. I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our free service offering on the new iPhones.

Justex

you keep contradicting yourself!

- Your FAQ's say all Apple devices are supported, but we have issues getting it working on them

- your telling us to contact Apple Support, yet you have mentioned Apple cannot see the subscription cause it's a different service

- and finally I find your passive aggressive comment "our free service" really offensive, people may have made a decision to re contract based on this "free service".

I truely hope the issue is being escalated, so someone higher up knows to talk to someone at Apple for a solution.

MisterMooth

@CAS_Telstra wrote:

Hi Velove, our Apple Music free 24 month subscription is not the same as iTunes or Apple Music from Apple direct. I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our free service offering on the new iPhones.

Can we please talk to somebody competent?

Velove

So, apart from attempting to make me sound somehow ungrateful (which I'll ignore), what you're saying is that Apple have some form of 'Telstra special' Apple Music? One that is locked to the one device?

I'm sorry, but two things here: 1. I simply don't belive you. 2. That is NOT what was offered to clients when they were given the opportunity to re-sign with Telstra (a point you seem to have convieniently ignored).

As to speaking with someone higher up, as others have suggested, I have no issuw whatsoever with whom I speak - as long as that person has some actual answers and addresses the questions raised. As far as I'm concerned, Telstra is leaving themselves wide open to a class-action civil suit.

Velove

@Justex wrote:

you keep contradicting yourself!

- Your FAQ's say all Apple devices are supported, but we have issues getting it working on them

- your telling us to contact Apple Support, yet you have mentioned Apple cannot see the subscription cause it's a different service

- and finally I find your passive aggressive comment "our free service" really offensive, people may have made a decision to re contract based on this "free service".

I truely hope the issue is being escalated, so someone higher up knows to talk to someone at Apple for a solution.

Quite correct Justex. I was certainly swayed by the offer. In point of fact, I would not have re-signed a 2 year contract if that offer was not on the table. As I understood the offer, it was: 24 months free Apple Music. At no point was it deliniated that the offer was tied to one device (the iPhone).

In order for a consumer to make a fully informed decision, that consumer must be in possession of all of the facts. We were certainly not in that position in this case.

I'd ask Telstra to please deliver a complete Product Disclosure Statement for this offer - one that was created PRIOR to the current events, not one created now that simply revises the original offer. Shouldn't be too hard surely?

HeTheB

@CAS_Telstra wrote:

Cas_Telstra,

I think you should check your information - personally a number of people at Telstra are looking into this matter more deeply. If what you say is true then Telstra has been deceptive. Which I believe is actionable by the ACCC - I recommned all customers who are only able to use their Apple Music subscription on their phone and are told by a Telstra employee that is the way it is supposed to work contact Telstra and commence a complaint about this deceptive practice.

The bonus is that it will also make Telstra take your problem more seriously as they would prefer to resolve the issue with you - and I think they are even required to resolve it with you if at all possible - before you move onto a State or Federal government complaints body.

However I also believe the problem is between the Telstra and Apple backend systems not working properly and the problem will be solved by Telstra and Apple technicans of some description (Provisioning? Carrier Bundle experts?) Working together to solve it - not customers bouncing from helpdesk to helpdesk.

Jvu5

I can't even get Apple Music working on my iPhone. Was on the phone with Telstra and apple for 2.5 hours and still couldn't get a solution! Isn't this false advertising?
hjfshkjfsdkhjsf

Can we have an update please Telstra? Or has anybody here received any more info from Telstra personally?

My Apple Music subscription is definitely active on my Telstra account and I have received the SMS with my activation link however when I follow the link it jumps me into the music app, says "verifying your membership" and asks me for my Apple ID password - but once I enter my password nothing happens.

I have spoken to Apple support a number of times and there is nothing they can do to help. This is very frustrating.

Phusion8

Hi Telstra Moderators,

Why do you keep requesting people to follow the troubleshoot instructions when it hasn't ever resolved our problem. We just simply want Telstra to acknowledge there's a problem so we have the assurance of this eventually being resolved sooner or later.
Velove

@Jvu5 wrote:
I can't even get Apple Music working on my iPhone. Was on the phone with Telstra and apple for 2.5 hours and still couldn't get a solution! Isn't this false advertising?

Yes, it is at best ineptituded and poor planning, or, at worst, deliberately deceptive advertising.

I note that Telstra has yet to provide a Product Disclosure Statement for this product.

In fact, the only thing I can see that they are doing is consistenly contradicting themselves. But hey, at least they're consistent in that.

alexinperth

I was wondering why when I would save songs offline they would disappear after a few hours, maybe this it is. Also I was told NOTHING about this deal only working on my phone. I have been using Spotify for a while and was about to cancel my subscription with them, but kept on having problems with Apple Music. And now I find out after reading this that I won't be able to use it on my iMac where I listen to most of my music. I feel like Telstra have tricked me by not telling me the full story. One of the reasons I upgraded was because of the 24 months fee Apple Music.
borisyu

Hey everyone - anyone had any luck with Telstra on this?

Just spent a good half hour on chat with them, and all they did was assure me that the subscriotion was active on my account and that I need to log in with my Apple ID. They're pretty clueless.

This is pretty annoying - really don't want to start paying for spotify again!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi everyone,

Just a update on this, 

You can check  My Account to confirm that your Telstra offer is active and the offer end date. The Apple Music App won’t not display the Telstra offer as it is not a offer through Apple.

Apologies for the confusion around this 

borisyu

I think we've all checked and seen that it's active. The problem is when the app tries to link the Telstra subscription to our Apple IDs?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Ok so just to clarify - have you signed in with your Apple ID via the Apple music app? 

This needs to be done over the Mobile network for Telstra to recognize your subscription 

borisyu

Yep it's signed in everywhere on the phone. And I've been trying to do this final verification on 4G
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Ok no worries, let us know how you get on

borisyu

It doesn't work. Still nothing happens after I type in my Apple Id and password
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Ok so do you get a error or something else? are you able to provide a screenshot of what occurs when you type in your details to the Apple music app?

hjfshkjfsdkhjsf

Hi Esther,

For me when I follow the link from the SMS sent to me by Telstra it jumps me into the Music app, says "verifying your membership" for a second or 2, asks me for my Apple ID password... but then nothing happens when I enter my Apple ID details.

Please do not refer us to Apple for this issue - I have spoken to numerous support reps at Apple including a Senior Technical Advisor who I am still in contact with; nothing is reaching the Apple servers from Telstra's end which is why this issue is occurring. This needs to be escalated to the Telstra engineering team or whichever department is responsible for the communication between Telstra and Apple for this subscription.

Thanks.

hjfshkjfsdkhjsf

Also - for everybody else in this thread I encourage you to join me in writing a complaint using this complaint form: https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

I have had success reaching outcomes after using this form in the past and it is clear we are not receiving the level of support this issue requires from the CrowdSupport forums or Telstra's call centre staff. With enough complaints we can hopefully make enough noise for somebody at Telstra to escalate this issue properly rather than asking us to constantly repeat basic troubleshooting steps and referring the problem back to us/Apple.

This is a Telstra issue; it is not something we can fix as customers and it should not be our responsibility to pursue a resolution this way.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Folks,

I'm sorry to those are still having issues. 

What I have found is that many people have had trouble due to the fact they had the Apple 3 month free trial first.

Please hear me out, because, if you haven't tried this is may be the answer.

If you had the Apple free trial, even though it may have 'expired' you will need to contact Apple to have the subscription from them removed from your account. While you are still 'registered' to their billing method for the service, you will NOT be able to access our 12 month trial. Someone I advised to try this yesterday found the service worked straight after they'd officially cancelled their subscription with Apple. 

Please let me know how yo go

NB- If you've already been down this path, I thank you for humouring me and reading this Smiley Wink 

Angela 

hjfshkjfsdkhjsf

Hi Angela,

Thanks for your response - I was using the initial 3 month trial from Apple but have confirmed with their support staff there is no Apple Music subscription attached to my Apple ID at all, so unfortunately that is not a resolution for me.

Thanks.

Support Team
Support Team

Well, that's a shame Smiley Sad

Have you tried the good old, shut down restart?. That appears to also be a secret gem.. 

Esther suggested a screen shot may help our tech team, if you could supply this, please make sure there is no obvious personal info on it to ensure your security 

Angela 

hjfshkjfsdkhjsf

Might have a bit of a spelling mistake in that last post, Ange Smiley Wink

Yes I have tried restarting my phone. I have also tried resetting my iPhone settings, and inserted my SIM into a different iPhone which had been factory reset (so a fresh install of iOS 9 and all default settings, no old files or cache etc) and I encountered the exact same issue. I have also tried using a different Apple ID that has never been used for Apple Music or iTunes before - same issue.

Again - this is NOT a problem with my device or my Apple ID account: this is a technical issue being caused by something in the Telstra backend. I appreciate your attempts to help me troubleshoot but it seems enormously unlikely that there is anything I can do (or that any other customers can do) to resolve this issue. PLEASE, this needs to be escalated to one of your system engineers.

I will attach the screenshot you asked for anyway: this is the screen that appears when I follow the link sent to me by SMS: when I tap 'continue' I am asked for my Apple ID password, and once I enter my password the password dialog disappears and nothing happens - it stays on this screen.

Capture.PNG

rickglid

Here is my complaint info for everyones perusal.

Free 12 month Apple Music Subscription.

After numerous phone conversations with Telstra Support, they assure me my free Apple Music subscription is valid. Today I tried Support again and all he did was try to sell me an extra 1Gb shared data SIM. Saying it was a 3 month free trial. He also assured me that the free 12 month Apple Music was working. Which it isn't. ( Being an ex-Telstra Technical Officer, I don't think he knew what he was talking about).

I received an SMS from Telstra early last week saying I had a free 12 month subscription to Apple Music, click this link to start.I did this, was presented with a request to log in with my Apple I.D. which I did, was taken to my Apple Music app. on the phone, and nothing. I was previously enrolled in the free 3 month trial from Apple, which expired on 1/10/15. I was advised by a Telstra Support person on the 28/9/15 to turn off 'Auto-Renewal" in my iTunes account for Apple Music as it would cause confusion for the free 12 month Telstra Apple Music subscription. I did as requested, and on the 1/10/2015, I was advised from Apple that my free trial had expired. I checked in my iTunes account details, and it said the same thing and to renew would cost $11.99 per month. I lost all the music I had downloaded during the free trial, (that was a lot of data!), due to 2 seperate Telstra Support people advising me to turn off Auto-Renew in my iTunes account in order that the Telstra free subscription would be valid.

There is no mention of a Telstra subscription in my Apple Account. 

In my Telstra account under 'Manage', it says my free trial is valid with the start & end dates.

Since then , I have tried to explain to various Telstra Support people the problem, but they seem to dodge the issue. It has been 2 weeks now into the 'free 12 month subscription", and still not working. Looking at the Telstra Crowd Support forums regarding Telstra/Apple Music problems, everyone writing in there is having the same problem,  IT DOESN'T WORK!!

The OUTCOMES I would like is to get this free subscription working for myself and the countless others who are having the same problem and not be told it is someone else's problem e.g. Apple, and contact them, who tell us to contact Telstra.

If this offer is tied to a single device, e.g. the iPhone we just upgraded to, but using our Apple I.D., then I suspect Telstra has misled it's customers in thinking that they can use the free Apple Music subscription on any of their devices that they can use with their Apple I.D. 

I have lost valuable time chasing up this issue, as well as a lot of music I downloaded during my free 3 month trial provided by Apple. That is a lot of data! I want the data loss to be reimbursed.

This is false advertising and should be referred to the ACCC for investigation.

I would also like to be credited with the 2 weeks + I have lost of the subscription and however long it takes Telstra to get this issue sorted.

Regards,
RickGlid
ZMan82

Your complaint is similar to mine rickglid, which I lodged 2 days ago.

had someone from Telstra call me back yesterday regarding my complaint.

She said "If that's to do with songs disappearing from the app or iTunes, then you'll need to talk to Apple. I'll give you their support number"

I told her that's not good enough and I know for a fact that there are issues with the linkage between Telstra and Apple (from reading everyone's experience here). I told her they're promising a product that cannot be accessed and I'll be making a formal complaint.

What incompetent customer service!
Hikurangi_f
Level 4: Private Eye

My Apple Music trial ended this morning, my Telstra 24 month subscription does not work. Same "confirm you ID" page that everyone seems to be getting stuck on.

Not impressed. Especially if my Mac and iPad all lose the music I've downloaded onto them in the last 3 months, and the tracks on my phone...
I’ve taught my kids to pull faces in photos, try and fix that, Machine Learning...

Telstra 24x7®

Activate Apple Music and get data free streaming with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now