CrowdSupport®
Arbil
Level 4: Private Eye

Apple Music free subscription - how to access

Answered

OK, I have spent 3 hours on the Telstra online chat and been through 3 people who could not understand my simple query...

Here we go again... hoping someone can help...

1. I have had a TELSTRA account for years
2. I have had an APPLE account for years
3. These 2 accounts do not know about each
4. I need a subscription to use Apple Music
5. I recently got a 24 month subscription from TELSTRA for Apple Music with my new phone
6. How did TELSTRA tell APPLE to add this subscription to my APPLE account?

OK... I have confirmed in "My Account" (Telstra) that I have...
"Active Membership Complimentary membership - 23/09/2015 - 22/09/2017" for the addon "Apple
Music".
I have no question here that it has been added to my TELSTRA account

But...
How does TELSTRA tell APPLE that I now have a 24 month apple music subscription (from
Telstra) that needs to be added to my apple account?

My Apple account has no idea that Telstra has given me 24 months

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Apple Music free subscription - how to access

Hi Arbil,

it's linked via the device that you activated the subscription for in MyAccount. That's the same device you need to use Apple Music on to get this subscription.

For more information check out our Apple Music FAQ http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653

-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
190 REPLIES 190
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi Arbil,

it's linked via the device that you activated the subscription for in MyAccount. That's the same device you need to use Apple Music on to get this subscription.

For more information check out our Apple Music FAQ http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653

-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Arbil

Thanks, but that still does not tell me how Apple could possibly know that Telstra have given me a subscription.

I need an APPLE MUSIC subscription with APPLE to be able to access that feature through my APPLE account.

Telstra may very well have given me a subscription, but how do Apple know that?

How is it possible to access an APPLE feature just because Telstra say they give me a subscription - how could Apple add a subscription to my Apple account (which they haven't by the look of it)?

When you say...

"it's linked via the device that you activated the subscription for in MyAccount. That's the same device you need to use Apple Music on to get this subscription."

I don't get how this has anything at all to do with a device when Apple Music is a subscription and part of my APPLE account (not my Telstra account)

Although I can see that I have an active ADDON in Telstra's "MyAccount", I have no idea how it got there as I don't believe I activated anything myself.

There seems to be nowhere in this "MyAccount" "Addon" area where I can see anything about how it is connected to my existing Apple Account - all it says is that it is Active and the only option is to Remove

Please note - I am not questioning anything at all to do with whether Telstra have granted me a subscription as I can clearly see that in "MyAccount"

My question is how does Apple know this?

*photo removed to protect privacy*

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Arbil,

Please note I have removed the image from your post to protect your identity as it included your mobile number.A

We are working with Apple to make this available. 

The image you have sent through shows the subscription was made available on the 23rd of September. If you'd like us to work out how this came about, please chat with us via the following secure link and we can look into it http://tel.st/49kl

Once you register for the 12 months trial you will be able to access it via itunes or the icloud depending on the set-up   (have another look over the FAQ's) 

If you'd like more information than what's provided on th FAQ's we supplied, please refer to https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

Angela

Highlighted
Arbil

Thanks for the reply, but this still does not address the question...

HOW DOES APPLE KNOW THAT TELSTRA HAVE GIVEN ME A SUBSCRIPTION?

What does "We are working with Apple to make this available" mean?

The image you have sent through shows the subscription was made available on the 23rd of September. If you'd like us to work out how this came about, please chat with us via the following secure link and we can look into it http://tel.st/49kl

Yes, I can clearly see that this was made available - that is not my question! How does Apple know that?

I have already spent 3 hours and spoken to 3 people on the online chat with absolutely no help. I really don't want to have to through all that again.

Once you register for the 12 months trial you will be able to access it via itunes or the icloud depending on the set-up   (have another look over the FAQ's) 

How can I access something that Apple don't know about. Yes Telstra have granted me a subscription, but HOW DO APPLE KNOW THAT!!!!!!!???????

If you'd like more information than what's provided on th FAQ's we supplied

your FAQ does not help as it does not explain how Apple can possibly know that you have given me a subscription.

Why is this so difficult?

Stuart

Support Team
Support Team

I think the terms and conditions answer your question, if not please clarify.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/applemusic/AppleMusicTermsandConditions.pdf

Activating your Telstra Offer

13) Once the Telstra Offer has been applied to your Telstra account, we will send you a SMS which contains a link to the Apple Music App (“App”) which you must download and install to sign up to Apple Music.
14) You must sign into the App using your Apple ID (or you can request an Apple ID to be created for you if you do not have an Apple ID).
15) Data charges apply when downloading or using the App.
16) You may be able to use Apple Music in countries outside Australia however your usage will be metered and data roaming charges may apply.

The following terms may help too http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653

1. What (account & personal) information will Telstra share with Apple?

Telstra will supply your mobile number, Telstra account number (BAN), country and whether you are subscribed to Apple Music for reporting & authentication purposes.

Arbil

Thanks for the reply,

But AGAIN, the question still has not been answered...

How does Apple know that Telstra have given me a subscription?

13) Once the Telstra Offer has been applied to your Telstra account, we will send you a SMS which contains a link to the Apple Music App (“App”) which you must download and install to sign up to Apple Music.

I have received NO SMS and I already have the Music App from Apple as it is a core app that cannot even be deleted.

14) You must sign into the App using your Apple ID (or you can request an Apple ID to be created for you if you do not have an Apple ID).

I already have an app and I already have an Apple account/ID - plerase refer to the question - how does Apple know that Telstra have given me a subscription?

Support Team
Support Team

The Apple account you have, are you being charged for it?, or was it a free Trial from Apple?.

Arbil

I have had an Apple account for many many years and they are always free.

Apple do not charge for having an account with them and it is necesary to have one to be able to back up your device or buy apps from their app store

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for confirming that you are not paying a subscription fee for the current account.

You can also locate the offer via your Telstra My Account and use this information to apply the Free offer.

Arbil

OK, let me try once again...

I have had an Apple account for many many years and they are always free.

Apple do not charge for having an account with them and it is necesary to have one to be able to back up your device or buy apps from their app store

My question is...

HOW DOES APPLE KNOW THAT TELSTRA HAVE GIVEN ME A SUBSCRIPTION?

Support Team
Support Team

You will receive an sms with the code for the trail or you can access your My Account with Telstra and redeem the offer via the link supplied in your My Account information. 

Arbil

Hi...

I have prevoiusly advised above, that I have NOT received an SMS

Nor can I find anywhere in "MyAccount" a link to redeem anything.

Support Team
Support Team

Please contact a Team Member via 132200, they can follow up why the sms has not been sent.

Arbil

OK, I just got off the phone to support and was told I had to get a separate "Apple Music" app to access this subscription from Telstra - not through the normal stock "Music" app

She assured me absolutely positivly that this was a different app to the stock "Music" app that comes with the iPhone and that is what I need. I was to download it, then log into my Apple account in there so it knows who I am.

I was calling from the iphone, so when I got off the call, I went and searched for "Apple Music" in the app store... and via iTunes...

Nothing!!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Let's try this one step at time : P 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653 open this link for me please and follow step number 2, do you see the picture in your My Account screen, or when you log onto your My Account portal when you click on mobile, addons, what do you see. ? 

Thanks 

Arbil

thanks, but my account already shows step 6

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Ok, I would like for you to get in touch with the My Account team at so that we can resolve this for you

http://tel.st/cpyn

Arbil

I have tried that 6 times now!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I see, what have our My Account team advised you? 

Arbil

They are telling me that I have to access the Apple Music subscription through a special "Apple Music" app (not the normal stock "Music" app).

Apparently the only way one can get this special "Apple Music" app is via a text message from Telstra. It is not actually available to the general public via the app store.

Thing is... I have never received an SMS about some special app.

I am now up to about the 4th support person tonight and nobody can work out how to re-send me this SMS that I need.

The last call they told me to reboot my iPhone and then I would get an SMS (not sure how that makes sense) and the support person would call meback in 1-2 min... that was 40 min ago...

All very secret squirrel!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Ok sure, I've sent you a private message to get some further details so we can get this resolved for you

Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Arbil,

Can you please confirm that you have the latest update iOS 9? 

This update will automatically download Apple Music to your phone & you can then use your Apple ID to login to your subscription

Let me know how you go 

Arbil

OK…

So I am still waiting for the return call from support (in 1-2 min) that I was promised 12 hours ago...

Yes, I have the absolute latest iOS9 as it is impossible to buy a new iPhone 6S without iOS9.

Can someone PLEASE confirm the following that I have been told by support…

1. To access the Apple Music subscription that Telstra have given me, I need a special, separate and dedicated "Apple Music" app (not the normal stock "Music" app)

2. This special app is not available to the general public via the App Store or iTunes

3. This special "Apple Music" app only available is via an SMS message from Telstra

4. Once I have this special app, I then log in to it, using my existing Apple ID, and that is how Apple Music knows who I am an I then have access to Apple Music

If all this is actually true, then I need this SMS sent to me please as I have never received any SMS to download a special app.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Arbil, from the information I've been given the access is with the standard Apple Music app which is included as part of the operating system - it isn't only available via a separate link. You just need to use your existing Apple ID to register and you should be able to sign up without having to commit to a payment method as the subscription is in place on your Telstra account. 

Arbil

Thanks Greg,

So what support have told me on 3 occasions now is actually wrong? There is no SPECIAL app? - correct?

If I am to use the standard Music app - this takes me back to the original question I have been trying to have answered...

How does Apple know that Telstra have granted me a subscription to Apple Music?

Support Team
Support Team

The link between Apple and Telstra is a subscription agreement where customers who take up Apple Music can choose to have that charge billed to their Telstra account. It’s through this agreement that we can offer the discounted subscription and the Apple ID associated with your account is able to confirm that this subscription is already in place. This is why the subscription promotion is only found in the Telstra My Account portal and not through the Apple Settings for subscriptions in the phone or iTunes.

Arbil

OK, so HOW do I...

"choose to have that charge billed to their Telstra account."

This is what I have been trying to get to the bottom of since the start

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Arbil,

The terms and conditions state the following '8) Once your Trial Period ends, you will be automatically rolled over to a paying Apple Music subscription from Telstra

Taken from here -https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/applemusic/AppleMusicTermsandConditions.pdf

NBN- this charge will be billed to your Telstra account 

Angela

Arbil

Again... that is NOT what I asked. I have asked nothing at all about trial periods

back to the original question that everyone keeps avoiding...

How does Apple know that Telstra have granted me a subscription to Apple Music?

Support Team
Support Team

I'm sorry this has been explained, however I will try and make it clearer.

When you join via Telstra you are send an text message with a special Telstra only link that you'll need to input your apple ID into. This link signifies to Apple  that your subscription is charged from us, and will let you download the app without incurring a charge from them.

Angela   

Arbil

and again...

1. I have NOT received an SMS and I have stated that many times already

2. HOW do I "join via Telstra" and WHAT am I joining

3. I have been told that there is no app to download - what app am I supposed to download?

but then again, I have also been incorrectly told by Telstra support 3 times that I need a "Special" Apple Music app - I really do not know what to believe

Support Team
Support Team

I've just spoken to the support team, and can confirm the following

You should already have access to the subscription on your phone. 

If you have your phone there, can you please go to your music app. 

Once you go into your music app (which if your phone is up to date, is already on your phone) You will see the Apple Music log-in. This is here as Apple already know you have the subscription from us. Then you only need to enter your apple ID and you can start using it. You'll notice there will be no mention of costs as your subscription is already valid.

Please try this and get back to me. If you get stuck, please supply screen photos

Angela

Arbil

You should already have access to the subscription on your phone. 

How can I tell if I do and how could that have actually been added?

If you have your phone there, can you please go to your music app. 

Once you go into your music app (which if your phone is up to date, is already on your phone)

The Music app is on the phone by default

You will see the Apple Music log-in.

No... There is no such thing as "Apple Music log-in" - screenshot attached of my phone when I open the Music app

This is here as Apple already know you have the subscription from us.

HOW did apple get told about the subscription from Telstra? - this has been my question since the start

Then you only need to enter your apple ID and you can start using it.

WHERE am I entering my Apple ID

IMG_3012.jpg

Support Team
Support Team

You are already signed in. If you click on 'For You' you'll see the log-in info. You are able to log-out. then click 'Connect' to log back in.

You can only have 1 Apple Music subscription per ID, if this is is linked to the phone number registered under Telstra's 'MyAccount' section, then you are using the free trial form us  http://tel.st/cpyn

Angela 

Arbil

When I go to "For You" there is no log-in info. Nor is there anywhere to "Log out" or "Connect"

How can I tell if...

"this is is linked to the phone number registered under Telstra's 'MyAccount' section, then you are using the free trial form us  http://tel.st/cpyn"

I really just wish someone could answer my question... how does Apple know that Telstra have given me a subscription?

Support Team
Support Team

We liaise with Apple and advise them of whom has the free 12 month trial through us. 

Try Apple's instructions, but note, for your peace of mind, you won't be asked to provide any payment information, as this linked to our 12 months trial.  (if you are using the correct mobile service)

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204930 

Angela 

Arbil

OK, let me try this 1 question at a time...

How did Telstra liaise with Apple and tell them that my Apple account needs a subscription added

IE, how did Apple know WHAT account to add this to?

Support Team
Support Team

This information is listed on the terms-  

What (account & personal) information will Telstra share with Apple?

Telstra will supply your mobile number, Telstra account number (BAN), country and whether you are subscribed to Apple Music for reporting & authentication purposes.

Taken from here-

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653

Angela 

Arbil

I am not asking about  that!

I am trying to find out how Apple could possibly know what account (which is an email addess that Telstra do not know) to add the subscription to.

Can you please answer that question only?

damo-w15
Level 1: Cadet

@Arbil wrote:

I am trying to find out how Apple could possibly know what account (which is an email addess that Telstra do not know) to add the subscription to.

Your iPhone aleady know's what it's mobile number is, and I presume that is automatically connected to the AppleID which you've already signed into the Music app with.

Just to confirm, there is only one Music app (the one you've already got on your iPhone). There is no seperate "Apple Music" app.

Telstra will supply the mobile number which you have activated their Apple Music offer on to Apple, who will then add the subscription to your AppleID (to the best of my knowledge).

Once the 3 month free Apple Music trial ends, according to Telstra their 12-month or 24-month offer will kick-in.

I'm not a Telstra employee in any way; just thought best to clarify that for you.

Arbil

Thanks Damo...

You have been more help that everyone at Telstra combined! You actually read my question!.

Thing is... Apple do not have my mobile number (that I know of anyway!), so even if this IS how Telstra tell Apple to add a subscription to my Apple account, Apple still would not know which of their hundreds of millions of accounts to add the subscription to.

Damo, do you know anything about this mysterious SMS I am supposed to have been sent? My guess is that this is the key to the whole issue. I suspect that somehow this SMS may have something that links my Telstra account to my Apple account.

I am also guessing that somehow, the Apple Music trial that is still current (expires on 01/Oct) is somehow hiding this subscription from Telstra (if it is actually there)

I am basing this on what you say about it kicking in after that trial expires

Thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

Arbil

Can anyone from Telstra shed any light on this mystry SMS and what it does?

Support Team
Support Team

If an SMS is sent it's just a confirmation that your subscription is active on your account - you can check whether this is active via the My Account portal at https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home

Arbil

OK, so this SMS is actually not necessary - Correct?

(support told me on 3 occasions that this SMS was a link to a special Apple Music app)

I have already checked my Telstra account and can see the Apple Music subscription is active (this has never been in question).

So back the core question from the very beginning, that keeps being avoided...

How can my Apple and Telstra accounts have any connection to each other?

IE how does Apple know that Telstra have given me a subscription?

Diluvial
Level 1: Cadet

I have been wondering the same thing. My subscription runs out tonight and I don't trust that Telstra's free offer would just kick in.

So this is what I have planned to try:

1. Turned off subscription to Apple Music in the AppleID account settings.

2. When I go into the Apple Music app and go to re-register, I will see if it then recognises my phone and number (yes Apple has your number, hence how you can send iMessages using your number).

3. If I look at the payment method, hopefully it will say something along the lines of pre-paid or something like that.

I hope this helps. I too have been very confused with all this, but let's hope thier systems are more linked than we realise.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Arbil,

It's hard to tell all the things that we've said to you so far in this thread because of how long it is, but the answer as I understand it is that when you access Apple Music on your iPhone the app can tell certain identifying information about your handset and service, such as your phone number. When we bestow this offer on you we let Apple know that your phone number has a free 24 month Apple Music trial, so when you login on your phone the app sends your phone number to Apple who check whether there is an offer such as this on that number. Since your number does have that offer, once you connect Apple then apply the free subscription on to your Apple Music account. Does that make sense?

The short answer is Apple know you get that free subscription because we tell them your number has a free trial applicable to it. We also pass on your billing account number and the country you are in, as per question 17 in the FAQs:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653

Arbil

Thanks so much Ben...

Finally someone at Telstra that has actually ready the question! Yippeee!

So it is all based around Telstra sending Apple my mobile number - I didn't think Apple would have my mobile number, but I guess maybe they do.

I guess it makes sense, but..

Question 1 - does that then mean that this subscription is only useful when using my mobile?

Question 2 - Am I also correct is guessing that when my trial from apple expires tomorow, it will be replaced by the Telstra offer?

I don't think Telstra could have made this more difficult & confusing for customers if they tried.

I have had so many incorrect and missleading snippits of info from all the different Telstra support people my mind is boggling!

Stuart

Arbil

I don't trust anything either so I will be checking the same tomorrow. Thanks for your reply and help, Diluvial

How frustrating is it dealing with Telstra...

And now I have to start all over again as my bonus data hasn't been added to my account either - here we go again!

Stuart

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Arbil,

In answer to question 1) That you are using that number only matters when you are first trying to apply the free subscription to your account. Once that is done it will work on your other devices that also use that same Apple ID, the check of your phone number only matters when that offer is first applied to that Apple ID.

2) You need to make sure that Apple Music is not set to automatically charge you, then once your existing free trial ends follow the directions at the start of that FAQs page that Ben linked to above on how to apply this free subscription to your account.

Telstra 24x7®

Activate Apple Music and get data free streaming with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now