CrowdSupport®

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Jean108
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Apple Music free subscription - how to access

HI Guys 

I would just like to post that i have had sucess with my apple music using the followin step. Please not that i did NOT have a free trail before with AM

1. Switch off Wifi

2. Sign out of you account in the music app

3. Force closed all my apps and restarted my phone.

4. Followed the link provided and signed in with my apple id... please not i followed these steps before but i was also impatient, i left it for about 30 secs and it went throught.

Now it is working on my Mac and my Iphone 6s Smiley Happy hope this helps some people 

bearlobe
Level 4: Private Eye

Another issue I am now having due to this, is that my phone is now almost entirely full (108gb used, 5.5gb available, because I've deleted some apps).

The music that I downloaded from apple music appears to still be held somewhere on the phone even though I can't access. It's supposed to be removed when I turn on iCloud Music Library, which I am currently unable to do. Has anybody else had this kind of trouble?
DELTAprime84
Level 2: Rookie

I'm really annoyed at Telstra and Apple both.

I've been unable to sign up also using the itunes.apple.com/carrier link. I currently have been escalated to a higher level of Telstra tech support and now I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Also I'm getting a call from someone high up at Apple about this. Most major US companies have an office of the CEO that if you let them know whats going on they try to make it right because it's best to keep customers happy.

Also it really doesn't help that I have gotten different responses from every Telstra Store I have been in. My local one tells me Telstra is supposed to email me a redeem code for Apple Music that gives 24 months free Apple Music (I hope that's the case because a redeem code would work perfectly). The small Telstra store near the Apple Store at Chermside told me to sign up to Apple Music in the Music app for $11.99 and instead of being billed to me it would be billed to Telstra, I'm glad I didn't take that advice. Probably the most reasonable answer I've gotten from a Telstra Store is "we just simply don't know how it works, call 13 22 00".

One thing I am really appreciative of is the Telstra complaints employee that restarted my Apple Music so I have a new start and end date. I think they should do that for everybody.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

JaredBell
Level 3: Gumshoe

JaredBell

Friends, I finally got it working.

Firstly I got Apple to remove my Subscription Status from my AppleID. This takes about 24 hours to happen.

Secondly I got Telstra to remove my Subsciption from my account and re-apply it. Took me about 5 hours to get it all done. Then it took about 3 hours for it too re-activate on my account. So you need to wait till you get the text message again from Telstra with the link. I turned off wifi and made sure I was completely signed out of everything BEFORE I clicked the link. It all works now. Hope this helps.
Phusion8

Jaredbell could you please confirm who I should be speaking with from Apple to have this done??
Phusion8

JaredBell

I did it through iTunes Support. It took awhile and lots of asking, but they finally did it. I kept saying that Telstra said that it needed to be done. Finally they did.
DELTAprime84

Still not working for me. I hope since tonight is Monday in America the guy at Apple that's fixing the problem for me is back at work and can fix it. Really unhappy Telstra!

bearlobe
Level 4: Private Eye

Has anybody had any kind of progress yet? I'm noticing less people complaining about it now, perhaps they've had it fixed?

This is getting really frustrating. It's been three weeks now without a streaming service.
jazzamac

No fixes, just sick of getting nowhere I would say. I'm sick of Telstra still trying to troubleshoot when obviously there is an issue.

Spoke to Telstra tech support over chat on the weekend. The CSR wanted to go though the whole thing again (wifi off, logging out of Apple ID, restarting phone).

I phoned Apple on Monday. I just said I was having issues activating Apple Music (Didn't mention carrier). The initial response was "I presume Telstra have referred you to us".

Apple said they may be able to remove the expired trial from my Apple ID, but after being on hold for a while I was told that it's a known issue and that Apple and Telstra are working on a fix and hope to have it fixed "soon".

I'm just fed up...

iamNathan247

This is what's happening to me.  Been back and forth with Telstra and Apple with no fix in sight.  It's rediculous!

ChrisR1980

Wow this is a mammoth thread - clearly I'm not the only one having an issue with this!

I like many people on here had already signed up to Apple Music's free trial BEFORE I'd been made aware of the Telstra offer, and it was due to expire this month and my $11.99 subsciption would kick in unless I cancelled. 

I didn't  - signed up to the Telstra deal, got the text (after a wait of 2 days), had it verify my accout etc and then thought nothing further of it, thinking I was on for the12 month free subscription without issue.

That is until this morning when my Bank Account had been debited $11.99 by Apple Music!!  Erm.....something gone wrong there!!

I have submitted a complaint demanding a refund to Telstra but yet to hear anything further. 

Any suggestions what I should be looking for in my Apple Music account to ensure I don't get charged next month as well (just in case getting a solution drags on as long as this thread?

Cheers,

Chris

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ChrisR1980

In this case you actually have to cancel your subscription with Apple - they've got instructions on how to do so here: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204939

At the moment you'd have 2 subscriptions running simultaneously - as our subscription system runs separately to theirs - so one with us and one with them.
Unfortunately Telstra aren't able to cancel subscriptions held directly with Apple - only those taken out through us.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Lauren2

Hi Steph.

I have just been reading this thread to see if I could fix my problem too.

I was already signed up to the free AM trial before I got my new 6s plan with telstra. I got the text mesage, clicked the link and it took me straight to apple music so i assumed that it was all set up. I just noticed I have just been charged by apple for my first month after the free trial. After reading your last reply, I went into my AM account and clicked the "turn off automatic renewal" button. I then clicked the link in the text message again and it made me put my details in and then apple music opened up again. I went back in to check the subscription and it says active, but it says it will expire in November unless I selec a monthly package.

When this expired will the telstra offer kick in or will my account just expire? Just wanted to check if there was anything else I needed to do to make the telstra offer work?

Thanks heaps for your time. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Lauren2

You will need to wait for the Apple Music offer to expire before the Telstra one will kick in.

At the moment you'll be running on the Apple one, so once it shows expired in your subscriptions just open the app whilst connected to the Mobile network, and it should take you through the process to access your subscription through Telstra instead. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

dylanhf1971

I have had the same sort of run around - not to your incredibly epic extent - but I also would have expected to receive some kind of 'redeem' code to enter into my Apple account to give the free 24months or something to that effect.

I can't see how Apple magically can know about the telstra deal and how my itunes account which Telstra should not be privvy to could be given silently from Apple to Telstra to make changes to or whatever.. this mechanism needs to be made clear.. it should also show somewhere in your apple account or music app that you are indeed 'subscribed' and have the same level of access as a paid member.. I never received any SMS to activate anything.. the only record I have of the deal is what it shows in the Telstra account which isn't convincing.

I was also told about some mystical 'Apple Music' app that is different to the stock 'Music' app.. (BS).. the information pages are detailed but vague and missing the key information that both you and I seek.

It really is quite amazing how clear you have been and yet still not received an answer.

This whole thread is just epic and I take my hat off to you for remaining so calm and also so persistent.

Level 20: Director

ROTFPMPLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Na, surely I imagined this thread! This can't be for real. Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

I have a question too. Are Telstra moderators required to undergo special training in patience? @Esther@Angela_H@Steph@ConK@Greg_Buch, @KathleenC, and anyone else I missed in this 'discussion'. Smiley LOL

I guess I'm FAR too intolerant to do your job! Smiley LOL

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.

@Tezz  We're only trained to be patient with you and your comments  Smiley Very Happy

Level 20: Director

@Deanna LMAO!!! How did I know you were going to jump in on this one with something like that? Smiley LOL

Kind regards,

Hit the Kudos button if you have found my contribution helpful and please mark Accepted Solutions where applicable.

Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with Telstra Corporation Limited, and all opinions expressed are solely my own which may not necessarily be mirrored or endorsed by the company.
rghdfgdfgh

This whole process is truly insane and one that I am about to undertake as I already have a paid subscription to Apple Music before buying my new phone and supposedly getting a 12 month free subscription as part of the deal and which shows on "My Account". I have set my current Apple Subscription to not auto renew on 1st of December and then hopefully somehow by some magic incantation I will receive the free 12 months subscription....

Telstra... Surely all of this madness could have been prevented by simply showing a Redeem code on "My Account" that we could have then used to Redeem the free subscription (like everyone else in the world does).....

This is surely epic and I bet adds a lot to the support load on people trying to work out how to actually get this free subscription working... btw I have also never been sent an SMS... so had to come here to try and work it out and then read this whole epic thread...

carlywilliams

Hi there,

I have also not received this 'text' message and are unable to access the complimentary Apple Music subscription as part of my new contract.

The Telstra account isn't talking with my Apple account because of this text i was meant to receive? 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi carlywilliams, 

When you log into your My Account here: http://tel.st/cpyn what details does it advise in regards to the Apple Music subscription? 

toocoldtostayau

I have just signed up to a new phone plan and unable to activate this free 12mth trial. I am trying the steps found in this thread to see if its active in My Account but that also isnt working. I have made contact with several people without much luck.

• Sorry - there's a problem with displaying your account

While we work to fix this for you, you can still complete a variety of tasks via our Account Services page.

Of course, we understand your time is important, so feel free to Leave It With Us and we will respond within 24 hours. If you need help now you can contact our 24x7 Chat.

James15

guys follow these steps. https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204926

It worked for me.  once I reconnected the iCloud library option I restarted Itunes on my mac and it works. 

I also tried this on my ipad too. 

Thanks

PZappa

I'm also having problems and the people on 132200 and 24x7chat don't seem to know how to deal with it.

I have read through this:
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653

Despite applying the apple music addon in my telstra account - about 5 times now - I have never received a text message from telstra and my account doesn't have anything in the applied add-ons section of my telstra account. I believe it should look like point 7 on the FAQ link above.

I have had two phone calls to 132200 and two 24x7 chat sessions and apple music still just appears as an add-on which can be  applied but no message or sign that it is applied. It says pending when I click, but signing in again just shows the 'Add' button again.  Despite this I was told to contact apple so I have called them twice - their response both times being that they haven't received the subscription from telstra.

I understand these things not working for some users but to continously be told on the phone and support chat that the problem has been solved and I just need to wait 24 hours - for 4 days in a row with no result leaves me with no-one to talk to.

Can any teslstra reps active on the forum suggest another route I can take? Perhaps a direct number to someone who knows more about add-ons than the standard phone reps?

Many thanks.

Grapes123

I'm looking for the Telstra app too it's been a month but I've been looking for it for going on 4 days no one at Telstra seems to Know where the app is and no seems to be able to help me. Some customer service person gaff me a link that doesn't work. 😀
Grapes123

Yeah yeah they told me to sign up to it too. One of the store customer service people at Telstra passed the Buck and said go to apple. I said Apple will think I'm insane they have no control over Telstra offers and know nothing about it.
Grapes123

I have no details there at all when I log on to that link however my contract states I have 24 month free Apple Music.
Grapes123

That's lovely turn off the auto renewal on the apple music app while Telstra customer service people are telling customers to sign up to Apple Music for an individual free trial. Instead of finding the app that is supposed to be given.

See attached document
https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/applemusic/AppleMusicTermsandConditions.pdf

I'm still waiting for the link. The sms to the app and in the meantime I will join the angry disgruntled queue and bang my head against a wall or ask accc to investigate why Telstra customer service can't locate the app, the snd or the link I was suppose to receive.
Grapes123

Well mine didn't even say that in adding but my contract does. 🙉
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Regarding the sign up and linking your Apple Music account with your Telstra account.

I had an existing Apple Music subscription before I tried to use the subscription from Telstra. It took a while for me to figure it out, but this is what worked for me. I have an Android phone now, so it will be a bit different for Apple phones. Sorry I don't have screenshots, this was done over a couple of weeks until it worked for me. I was not on Wifi while performing these steps, from what others have said you need to be on mobile data only.

• Cancel my recurring Apple Music subscription
  • In Telstra My Account, 'Remove' the Apple Music Add-On (If you've already added it)
  • Wait for the existing subscription to lapse. Yes, you'll be without music for a couple of days.
  • Once the Apple paid subscription/trial has lapsed, delete the app from your phone (not sure if this is necessary, and I don't think you can delete the Music app on an iPhone)
  • Then go to Telstra My Account and add the add-on. This will take a day to come into effect.
  • You should receive a text message with a link to https://itunes.apple.com/carrier . This link redirected me to the Play Store version of the Apple Music app (which I beleive is the regular app, not a special Telstra version)
  • Installed the app
  • Opened the app. The first day it asked for me to log in, which I didn't (I'd given up by then)
  •  Then I tried the app a couple of days later. The first screen said something like 'Searching for Membership' or 'Searching for subscription'.
  • It then came up with a screen that said I had a subscription through Telstra, and that I needed to log in with my Apple Music account to link the accounts, which I did.
  • Now my Apple Music is working (and yes, I still have all my old playlists Smiley Happy )

I hope this helps some of the people who are still having trouble.

The process is not very straight forward, what would really help would be a simple 'Link your Telstra Account with your iTunes Account' option in Telstra My Account.

max68au

I have tried everything stated. Nothing works. At first I was being charged subscription fees by Apple so I cancelled apple music. Now my subscrption started in November 2016 with Telstra so I have wasted 6 months without being able to use this so called free offer.

Neither Telstra or Apple have been able to fix it.

So anyone here who says it worked is a liar or has some magic powers.

Trust me Telstra have no idea and can not make it work.

I challenge any Telstra support person to make it work, and give me back my wasted 6 months so far.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi max68au, 

Have it been confirmed if the offer is active on your account? 

If you log into your My Account and remove then readd, does it send you the link again? 

Kisawah

Hey!
So what should happen, is the app should ask for your permission to make phone calls on your behalf (or something along those lines..

Then the app will take you through several verifications to verify the phone number of your telstra account and link that to you apple music app, this will activate the apple music subscription..

Joe7238

Guess what- this doesn't work for me either. I actually have the text message from Telstra it says ",your 12 mth free Apple Music membership is waiting for you. Stream over 30 million songs plus expert recommendations and playlists directly to your mobile. Take up this exclusive benefit from Telstra at http://tel.st/d5xu Data charges apply. Opt out 1800039059".

So I click on the link and it says only 6 month offer is available.

So I rang Telstra and the support person said the 12 month offer is not available- only the 6 month offer. She said the 12 month offer has already expired.

The thing is, there is absolutely no mention of any expiry date, or date by which I need to sign up by, on the Telstra sms offer. So my 12 month should still be valid. Even if the 12 month offer expires 12 months since the sms was sent, that is still fair. But saying that I can only get a 6 month offer is unacceptable.

Somebody please help as this is not honest practice by Telstra- don't give an offer then change it without notice.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Joe7238,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I can appreciate your concerns with the SMS that has been received for this Apple Music offer having the incorrect information listed on the period this would be valid for and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused Smiley Sad I have sent this on through to my managers so that we are able to have the SMS notification updates to the new 6 month trial being offered so that there are no issues with this in the future.

With your current dispute I would recommend having this raised as an official complaint so that we can have a case manager assigned to investigate and resolve this further for you. The steps for having this completed can be located at:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681...

JA88AtheHU77

I HAVE HAD THE ISSUE RESOLVED!!!!!!

I have had the same issue

I previously had an Apple Music subscription which I was paying for monthly with Apple. Then I got a new contract with Telstra which offered 12 months free subscription to Apple Music.

I received a text message from Telstra with a link to activated it however it never activated and I was charged from apple 1 month later.

I called Telstra who instructed me to log in to the Telstra 24/7 app and set it up that way. One month later Apple billed me again.

I contacted apple, they informed me there was no free subscription applied to my Apple ID and that it was Telstras problem. I spent hours.. I mean Hours of my time on the phone back and forth with Apple and Telstra, not to mention I also spent time in the Apple Store and the Telstra store trying to sort out the issue. No luck.

It's clear that there is an issue that was never tested with Telstra if you already have a previous Apple Music subscription and there is a glitch in their system about it.

In the end I was told to cancel my old subscription which did not work, and I lost all my music from my previous subscription.

I got so sick and tired of Telstra and their incompetence I ended up resubscribing to Apple Music and paid for it again myself, however I phoned Telstra and told them to credit my account $143.88 (which is the equivalent to 12 months of Apple Music) they agreed and credited the $143.88 to my bill. It's the only solution so far that has been satisfactory. Major screw up on Telstras behalf and their call center staff do not care, understand what is happening or know how to fix it.

I strongly urge all of you to call Telstra as ask them to credit your account. Because if everyone starts doing this they will lose money and NEED to resolve the actual issue.
i_YESknowMe

Yes! This supplies the continuous situation in regards to the usual public perceptions of the Telstra personnal who are gifted by the appropriate Australian training, which I may certainly be correct in assuming that the provident curriculum is imported from a country that has internationally exported the guideline manual here at the cost of the known and older Australian cultural identity: as international travel is much coveted by our citizens who welcome the increasing availabilty of International travel

i_YESknowMe

@Steph wrote:

Hi ChrisR1980

In this case you actually have to cancel your subscription with Apple - they've got instructions on how to do so here: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204939

At the moment you'd have 2 subscriptions running simultaneously - as our subscription system runs separately to theirs - so one with us and one with them.
Unfortunately Telstra aren't able to cancel subscriptions held directly with Apple - only those taken out through us.

Yes! This supplies the continuous situation in regards to the usual public perceptions of the Telstra personnal who are gifted by the appropriate Australian training, which I may certainly be correct in assuming that the provident curriculum is imported from a country that has internationally exported the guideline manual here at the cost of the known and older Australian cultural identity: as international travel is much coveted by our citizens who welcome the increasing availabilty of International travel

cDosRun

What if your device is a Telstra supplied 4G modem?

Telstra 24x7®

Activate Apple Music and get data free streaming with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now