Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Diluvial
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Apple Music free subscription - how to access

Yea I guess the main thing is, will we get billed if the renewal goes through tomorrow, or will it default to the Telstra free 24 months.

Who knows, will just have to wait and see.

Again, I'm taking the precaution of not letting it auto renew, and will set it up again tomorrow morning.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Diluvial,

That is the correct way to do it. If the subscription just continues on after the three month trial there will be no check to see if you get the 12/24 month free subscription through us and you'll be charged.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Arbil
Level 4: Private Eye

Thanks so much...
JaredBell
Level 3: Gumshoe

I've had the same thoughts myself. The link is https://itunes.apple.com/carrier

Sign OUT of your subscription. To sign out, open the Music App and click the account icon in the top left corner (little man in a circle) then choose sign out. Go to Safari and type or cut and paste this link. https://itunes.apple.com/carrier

You will be taken to the music app and a sign in page looks like this.

IMG_0115.PNG

Once signed it apparently it's all activated. That said, when I go to my Apple ID account on my phone and look at my managed subscriptions, it doesn't say anything about me being subscibed. 

I did try logging out and doing the process gain, but it gave me a pop up that said I already was. I guess I will have to wait and see unless someone from Telstra can confirm how we tell we are subscribed (and not through the Telstra Accounts page)

Support Team
Support Team

Hi JaredBell, 

If completely logged out of the app, when opening for the first time it should have a section along the lines of 'sign up with Telstra'. 

Does this not come up? When you log into your My Account, does the offer say it's active? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Diluvial

So it worked! Last night my 3 month trial ended and this morning when I went into the Apple Music app, I turned wifi off the following appeared:

IMG_0824 Edit.png

Now I have 24 month free Apple Music.

I think we need to give Telstra tech and Apple a bit more credit. But could have been explained a little easier.

simonhancock

I cannot get that "You are all set" page to come up, even when I log out, and turn off wifi and click on the link.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Simon, when you log into your account online via https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home does it show the Apple Music subscription as being active? If not, then our teams on 13 22 00 or via http://tel.st/49kl can set it up on your account. If so, you should be able to register with your Apple ID via the Music app on your iOS device. 

simonhancock

Yes, it showing up there, but in apple music the subscription still says expired.
Support Team
Support Team

All right - if you're not able to log into the Music app with your Apple ID our teams via 13 22 00 can investigate and assist further.

simonhancock

I can log in fine, its just showing unsubscribed in the subscriptions when I hit "Manage".

I cannot get the screen that Diluvial posted after I click the link the sms and login.
Support Team
Support Team

Can you try logging out of your Apple ID, turning your phone off and then log in again once you turn it back on and see if it registers the subscription then?

simonhancock

I just tried that exact procedure but it makes no difference. When I try and register it just goes straight to the Genres page in apple music and not to the screen with "You are all set" as in above screenshot that was posted.
Cmm3
Level 2: Rookie

I have spent almost a week trying to get my 24 month subscription to work. I've spoken to Telstra support, Apple support, Telstra support, Apple support back and forwards since last Friday and nothing is working. I have had Telstra cancel and re-add my subscription several times to no avail. I'm stuck in an endless loop of being asked to confirm my Apple ID. I input the information and the screen remains unchanged.

Can you suggest anything? I have logged in, logged out, turned the phone off, reset the phone, erased all data.... You name it, I've tried it.

simonhancock

It's a bit a annoying. I'm running the public beta of iOS, have an iTunes match subscription and have also setup a family plan for iTunes payments, I wonder if any of those things are stopping this from working.
Cmm3

A bit annoying is an understatement! I've never experienced such frustration trying to get something working on my phone in my life!

I'm particularly irate because part of my decision to sign on to a higher dollar plan was the 24 month subscription as a sweetener. Given I cannot use it and there seems to be no resolution in sight from either Telstra (who are telling me it's an Apple issue) and Apple (who are telling me it's a Telstra issue) I'll be amazed if Apple Music works at all in the next two years!

simonhancock

Is the subscription activation tied to a particular device or a phone number?. I'm not using the iPhone that is tied to my phone contract as my wife and I have swapped phones, could that be causing the issue?
Cmm3

I don't know. I had signed up for a 12 month free subscription on my old iPhone 5 in August. When I upgraded to the 6s last week and was given the 24 month subscription I asked whether it was a problem that I had already activated the 12 month offer. I was told no. Telstra has since removed the offer and re-added it through their system. I have also removed and re-added via the My Account page. Apple has also unlinked my Apple ID so that I could re input it after the I removed the offer from My Account. Nothing has worked to resolve the problem. You would think these steps should have fixed any glitches.

Support Team
Support Team

simonhancock,

It is indeed tied to the phone number. This means the Apple ID phone number and the phone number on the device will need to match.

Angela 

Cmm3

My phone number has not changed so that cannot be the problem in my case.

Can someone please try to resolve this for me? It's almost a week and I'm beyond frustrated.

simonhancock

My phone number has not changed either. Telstra, is there any other reason this might not be working?
JaredBell

Ok, so nothing happened. If I click the link again it takes me to a 'Confirm my Apple ID' page and asks me for my Password. I enter it, then nothing. Just sits there.

The worst part of all this is my 2 years started last week, so I am not even getting my full 24 months out of it.

Cmm3

Exactly the same issue that I am having.

Telstra??? Would someone care to respond??
JaredBell

Called Telstra, they have palmed me off to Apple......so it continues.

JaredBell

Apple say it's Telstra's issue.......sigh

Cmm3

Oh welcome to the merry-go-round. I've been on it since last Friday!
runuts77

It is indeed an issue with Telstra. The problem is that none of the first level tech support have any clue how this is actually managed by Telstra with Apple. It should be a simple fix, but welcome to a world of pain. I've wasted over 10 hours on it thus far.

Antonybrennan

I read this whole thread 

I found the link that has been shared here 

I opened my music app

i logged out of Apple music

I tapped on the link

it opened Apple Music with a Telstra branded page and I logged in with my Apple ID 

i I went and looked at the settings and it said my Apple Music account was expired.  It already said that before because the three month free trial had expired 

so I tested Apple Music by asking Siri to play songs I didn't own, they started playing.

i went into Apple Music app and searched for albums I don't own 

I was able to play them

although the setting say expired it is clear that Apple Music is working 

my work here is almost done

my contract says I get two extra gigs for having Apple Music 

i dont one have the two extra gigs when I look in my Telstra account

could some helpful Telstra person help me with that perhaps 

thanks 

Antony 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Antony,

When did you get the confirmation text etc arrive? I'd have thought the data would kick in 24-48 hours after that.

We can't release or request specific account info over Crowd Support, for obvious reasons. Come have a chat with us here: http://tel.st/hsc3 where we can securely communicate and investigate that one for you.

Nathan_W

I have been in touch today with Telstra and Apple regarding issues I'm having with my Apple Music subscription.

I went in and got 2 iPhone 6S phones on launch day - one for me and one for my wife. We both have the same plan which offered a free 12 month subscription with each phone. We also have always shared the same Apple ID with our iPhones for years as it means we only had to pay once. I've been able to get Apple Music working on this Apple ID with no problems and have it working on my wifes iPhone. Initially I made the mistake of signing in with the same Apple ID on my iPhone and soon realised that two devices cant use it simultaneously.

I have since created a new Apple ID in an attempt to seperate Apple Music from both iPhones so we can each use our provided subscription seperately. I've just now followed the instructions to type in https://itunes.apple.com/carrier into Safari on my iPhone - this opens up the Apple Music app where by it gives me a prompt to login with my Apple ID. I type in my Apple ID and get an error 'This membership is already being used with a different Apple ID' (attached the screenshot to this post). Is there any way I can sort of restart this subscription on this particular device?

IMG_4053.PNG

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Nathan_W,

I think your best option is Apple Support direct. They should be able to remove the association and reapply it as needed; ultimately we have no access to the system that does that kind of assigning I'm sorry.

Nathan_W

I spoke to Apple Support today and my issue was escelated to a senior tech who advised to call Telstra back to see if the subscription can possibly be removed, then readded to my phone number as he suspects that both phones have tied themselves to the one Apple ID for the Apple music subscription.

Is it possible to do that?

Support Team
Support Team

If that's the case you are able to remove the subscription by logging into My Account at Telstra.com - I have no idea how this would affect your free trial though. 

Nathan_W

I wouldn't be willing to remove it from my account if there is no guaruntees that it wont affect my free subscription. Obviously I want to be able to take advantage of this offer and am missing out on it now as time is ticking.... It seems overly complicated for something so simple.... I pretty much wasted a whole day today trying to get it resolved and am no closer to getting it resolved... 

runuts77

This is solely a Telstra issue! Apple can't fix it. Telstra need to have a tech who was involved with this integration to fix it, it'll be a simple fix, but very poorly handled by Telstra 

Support Team
Support Team

Crazy thought, probably wont work, but worth a shot...I wonder if a factory reset of the phone would remove the phone's association to that ID? I understand your reticence to remove the subscription if there is no guarantee it can be reapplied, I'm afraid this is the first case like this I have seen, it's likely the first ever. 

runuts77

Nope, that won't fix it either
runuts77

Here's a novel idea. Since you work for Telstra, why don't you contact someone from the technical department, not th moneys on the phone who just run through troubleshooting scripts, someone who actually has some technical knowledge of how this was setup. I find it absolutely appalling that a company the size of Telstra, that is a communications company cannot effectively communicate internally!!
Nathan_W

I just googled the error im getting in the Apple Music app and found another customer that is getting the same error but different circumstances here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7244985 I'm also going to watch this thread to see if there is any way to resolve it. 

I'd be willing to do a reset of the phone if I knew it was going to fix it.....

MisterMooth

This whole thing is a joke. My Telstra account simply refuses to link to my Apple ID. I started the subscription two weeks ago so now half a month of the offer has been wasted already because it doesn't work at all. I've tried contacting both Telstra and Apple multiple times, and each time they just tell me to talk to the other one. Today I was finally able to escalate it on the Apple side to tech support over the phone, where the guy was able to look at my account with his supervisors and told me it was out of Apple's control and the issue was on Telstra's end since he wasn't able to see the carrier billing information, then gave me instructions on how I should explain this to a Telstra support rep. I then get onto Telstra support yet again and did exactly this, and I wound up with some guy who had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, trying to tell me completely false things like how the offer is simply for mobile and if I wanted it for my Apple ID for all my devices I'd have to sign up for a regular AM account separately. I had to explain to him on several occasions that it links to my Apple ID and this is where the issue lies, but he was so insistant that I was somehow wrong until I finally showed a screenshot of the screen saying exactly what I was talking about. At one point he even asked if my "PC and Mac" were on at least "iOS 8.4". Come on.

If someone from Telstra can finally get me past this screen and onto the service I've been entitled to, then that would be fantastic:

IMG_0026.png

But right now I'm truly baffled about how god awful the service has been.

JaredBell

Has anyone had any success yet? I finally got around to setting up my wifes on her phone and it worked straight away. The only difference was she was brand new to Apple Music with her AppleID. 

Mine still deosn't work.

Nathan_W

I've found today that if I open the apple music app I can search and stream songs no worries WITHOUT being signed in with an Apple ID.... pretty bizarre but perhaps it looks at the IMEI of the phone for the subscription? However.... I can't make anything available offline to play or create playlists so it's only semi useful at this point in time..... It would be great to have the complete functionality for the product I've been told/sold to have access to....

Gunnie80

I am also having problems with linking my Apple ID with my Telstra account on the "Confirm your Apple ID" screen in the Music app. After clicking Continue and entering my password nothing happens. I was previously using my Applie ID with the trial subscription which expired yesterday. Signed out of the app, added the promo product on the Telstra website, recieved the SMS, clicked on the link and signed in, but just keep getting stuck on the "Confirm your Apple ID" screen now. There is definitely an issue here.

Could somebody from Telstra please advise how to resolve this?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Gunnie80,

Unfortunately we have no information regarding this one, we're only able to suggest trying again. Does changing the method you are using to connect to the internet, ie wifi for 4g or vice versa, make a difference?

runuts77

Big_Dan

No, none of that will have any impact.

Why is it so difficult to get someone with technical knowledge to resolve this?
It's absolutely ridiculous!!
Reggie11

I too am experiencing the same problems with my apple subscription. I've been told a number of times that my subscription is active. But the Apple Music app advise me that I do not have a subscription through my carrier. I have received the text message saying that I am eligible for Apple Music. Please advise what we can do for we all have spent many hours with Telstra and apple support only to have nothing happen.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Reggie11,

Are you able to restart your phone and advise if your Telstra Apple Music subscription is recognised after the restart?

Reggie11

Hi Esther,

I have done this many times and it still doesn't work.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Reggie11,

Can you please make sure all of these steps have been followed. You should also be able to see subscriptions in the app itself. If you have registered with the steps I provided. I would suggest logging out of Apple Music app. Logging back in and checking the subscription status in the app. 

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653

midniteoz

Similar issues here...

3 Month free subscipiton ran out.

Tried switching over to Telstra's free 12 month service... (which is active on my telstra  'my account' screen)

1. Can listen to Apple Music on iPhone after linked with my apple ID.

2. iPhone still says that my subsciption ended 30 September 2015 (2 days ago)

3. On my itunes account on mackbook it also says subsciption ended 30 September 2015 - and hence can't access apple music on my mac.

3. Can't activate the icloud music library option on my iPhone under Settings>Music - therefore can't sync my playlists

This is quite painful!!!

I have logged in... logged out... restarted phone... read the forums... followed all the steps.

Please resolve....

Thanks!!!

Telstra 24x7®

Activate Apple Music and get data free streaming with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now