CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Bri
Level 3: Gumshoe

Apple Music says I am already a member and then does not play radio stations

Answered
Since upgrading to iPhone 7 Plus, I tried playing Apple Radio with iTunes. I always used this feature before upgrading with the Apple Music subscription and it worked fine. Now iTunes overlays a message saying I am "already an Apple Music member" so I push OK and the message closes but then it sits there with no music loaded. When I push Play, it played the next song in my library, not the radio.

Why does it say I'm already an Apple Music member but then ignore the membership and blocks me playing the music?

More information:
· I upgraded from iPhone 6s to iPhone 7 Plus at an Apple Store under Telstra contract; Apple Music is bundled with the contract
· My partner followed the same process of upgrading the phone at an Apple Store with the same contract and he is experiencing the exact same issue
--
Be actively nice and have integrity
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bri
Accepted Solution

Re: Apple Music says I am already a member and then does not play radio stations

I finally have Apple Music on my Apple account again.  I've listed below the steps I went through, although my partner has the same problem as me and the same steps didn't work for him.  I hope these steps might help someone.  I'm not clear on which steps were the most important.

1. Crowd Support: Matt helped in this thread - thanks Matt!
  2. Telstra chat: Chatted with Telstra for 2 hours but they were reluctant to remove and reinstate Apple Music on my account.  They recommended speaking to Apple.
  3. Apple chat #1: Chatted to Apple for 20 mins and all they could do was confirm my Apple Music subscription had expired.
  4. Telstra store visit: Went to Telstra store on George St, Sydney and spent about 40 mins with a guy who removed the subscription and waited for it to settle, then reinstated it and waited for it to settle.  I received the SMS from Telstra saying I had the subscription again with a link to itunes.apple.com/carrier.  A brief popup message appeared saying it was verifying my membership.  Result = same problem: couldn't play Apple Music Radio.  Outcome was to speak to Apple again, as it seemed there was something on my account blocking Telstra from reinstating Apple Music on my account.
  5. Apple chat #2: Chatted to Apple again and they suggested the following:
    • [Wi-Fi on] Open Apple Music
    • [Wi-Fi on] Tap on For You
    • [Wi-Fi on] Membership confirmation page appears asking for verification code - SMS received
    • [Wi-Fi on] Typed in verification code and resulted in "We've run into a problem" error - pushed OK
    • Noticed Wi-Fi was on so I turned it off
    • [Wi-Fi off] Opened itunes.apple.com/carrier again
    • [Wi-Fi off] Tapped on For You
    • [Wi-Fi off] Different membership confirmation page appeared asking for verification code with an immediate overlay of "We've run into a problem" error - no SMS received - pushed OK
    • [Wi-Fi off] Verification page disappeared and Music app now plays Radio

My partner also has the same problem but the above steps in 5 above did not work.  The only difference is that he hasn't done step 4: Telstra remove and reinstate Apple Music.  Step 4 didn't seem to do anything for me at the time but maybe it did something behind the scenes?  Not sure.

I can now play Apple Music Radio on all my devices like Matt said: iPhone, iPad, Mac.  Apple Music is now up and running on my Apple ID.

I hope this has been of value to someone.

Regards,

Brian.

--

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Bri

Re: Apple Music says I am already a member and then does not play radio stations

Here's a link to the "already an Apple Music member" message:
https://goo.gl/photos/QPh3qseDPCE2mRR5A
--
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bri,

Does opening https://iTunes.apple.com/carrier while connected to 3g/4G help?

When you changed phones at the Apple Store, were you re-contracted, or just had the handsets replaced?

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Bri

Thanks Matt. I tried the link when connected to 4G and it showed a message saying it was verifying my membership, which took <1s, followed by the message disappearing. I then tried to play the radio and the original message saying I'm already a member appeared again. No radio would play.

I was re-contracted at the Apple Store via the New Phone Feeling feature.

- Bri.
--
Bri

Could it be a transition period issue where my Apple Music 'plan' might still be with my previous iPhone until they receive from the courier and process it? Maybe some system thinks it's still allocated to my old iPhone?

Just on that point, I looked up my service history (via a link from an email) with Telstra for the phone changeover and it showed Apple Music was removed from my old iPhone and added to my new iPhone. However, there might be a glitch that prevented the removal from the old iPhone.
--
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Bri,

The Apple Music Supscription isn't attached to a device, it's attached to your Apple ID, so using it on another device should be fine.
I myself use mine between my iPhone, iPad, Computer and Apple TV, all logged in with the same Apple ID.

If there was any glitch, it would have been with cancelling the previous free offer and applying the new one.

I would recommend contacting out Billing team and asking them to delete the subscription completely and re-apply it.

You can do this by calling 132200 or via Live Chat
Please note that once the subscription has been re-added, it can take up to 24 hours to allow you access.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Bri

Thanks Matt. I'll give Telstra a call to disconnect and reconnect Apple Music to my account.

I'm glad you explained that Apple Music is connected my Apple account rather than a device. I had already tried to use Music (Radio) on my iPad when my iPhone didn't work but no luck. I took a ~15sec screenshot video of my iPad tonight to show what happens, which you can see using the link: https://goo.gl/photos/QPh3qseDPCE2mRR5A. Apple Music simply asks me to join by paying a monthly fee.
I thought there may be something wrong with my Apple about on my iPad so I decided to sign out of iCloud on my iPad and remove everything associated with the account, followed by signing in again. I then tried Music (Radio) and the same message to join Apple Music appeared in the exact same way. I'll see how it goes after I call Telstra to disconnect/reconnect.

Thanks again,
Brian.
--
Bri
Accepted Solution

I finally have Apple Music on my Apple account again.  I've listed below the steps I went through, although my partner has the same problem as me and the same steps didn't work for him.  I hope these steps might help someone.  I'm not clear on which steps were the most important.

1. Crowd Support: Matt helped in this thread - thanks Matt!
  2. Telstra chat: Chatted with Telstra for 2 hours but they were reluctant to remove and reinstate Apple Music on my account.  They recommended speaking to Apple.
  3. Apple chat #1: Chatted to Apple for 20 mins and all they could do was confirm my Apple Music subscription had expired.
  4. Telstra store visit: Went to Telstra store on George St, Sydney and spent about 40 mins with a guy who removed the subscription and waited for it to settle, then reinstated it and waited for it to settle.  I received the SMS from Telstra saying I had the subscription again with a link to itunes.apple.com/carrier.  A brief popup message appeared saying it was verifying my membership.  Result = same problem: couldn't play Apple Music Radio.  Outcome was to speak to Apple again, as it seemed there was something on my account blocking Telstra from reinstating Apple Music on my account.
  5. Apple chat #2: Chatted to Apple again and they suggested the following:
    • [Wi-Fi on] Open Apple Music
    • [Wi-Fi on] Tap on For You
    • [Wi-Fi on] Membership confirmation page appears asking for verification code - SMS received
    • [Wi-Fi on] Typed in verification code and resulted in "We've run into a problem" error - pushed OK
    • Noticed Wi-Fi was on so I turned it off
    • [Wi-Fi off] Opened itunes.apple.com/carrier again
    • [Wi-Fi off] Tapped on For You
    • [Wi-Fi off] Different membership confirmation page appeared asking for verification code with an immediate overlay of "We've run into a problem" error - no SMS received - pushed OK
    • [Wi-Fi off] Verification page disappeared and Music app now plays Radio

My partner also has the same problem but the above steps in 5 above did not work.  The only difference is that he hasn't done step 4: Telstra remove and reinstate Apple Music.  Step 4 didn't seem to do anything for me at the time but maybe it did something behind the scenes?  Not sure.

I can now play Apple Music Radio on all my devices like Matt said: iPhone, iPad, Mac.  Apple Music is now up and running on my Apple ID.

I hope this has been of value to someone.

Regards,

Brian.

--

View solution in original post

Bri

One last comment:

My partner had the same issue as me. After contacting Telstra and removing Apple Music and then reconnecting it, as Matt suggested above, then opening the Music app and navigating to the 'For you' tab, the app successfully went through the verification process.

I can only conclude that the Apple Music subscription was not removed and added correctly by the Apple Store staff member when they used the Telstra system to sign us up for a new plan on a new phone. Quick fix is to ask Telstra to remove and reconnect Apple Music.
--

Telstra 24x7®

Activate Apple Music and get data free streaming with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now