CrowdSupport®
Level 3: Gumshoe

Apple Music subscription via Telstra only working on iPhone but not other devices with same Apple ID

Answered

I had  a 12 month Apple Music subscription via  Telstra on iphone6 worked perfectly. In September I recontracted for 24 months with iphone7, got another 12 month Apple Music subscription. But now I can't access Apple Music from any other device other than iphone7 using the same Apple ID (they ask me to choose a plan and pay for subscription).

I've tried:

• associating Apple ID on iPhone with https://iTunes.apple.com/carrier
  • cancelling Music subscription via addons in 24x7 account settings (see below)
  • Using 24x7 chat several times (to no avail)
  • yesterday ringing the Telstra support number(actual number escapes me) and shuttled backwards and forwards between tier 1 people, Apple support ("no problems Apple side") for 2 hours.
  • Being told the subscription will only work on the phone (incorrect, and my subscription worked on other devices until the day I recontracted!) multiple times by each person at Telstra, Apple support said this was wrong as well.
  • confirmed via Apple they have no subscription listed associated with my Apple ID

With  regard to my 24x7 account settings - almost one month into my new contract and my online details still show the old contact. Multiple Telstra chat sessions being assured this will be fixed and it hasn't.  When I try to cancel the Apple Music subscription (in order to re-add it), I get an SMS saying it will be cancelled, but then it doesn't actually cancel even days later.

On the iPhone itself, if I sign out of my iTunes account and attempt to use Apple Music, it doesn't work until I sign in again, so my Apple ID is associated with it. But it still doesn't work on my other devices (MacBook, iPad, iMac). 

When i I rang support again last night for the second time for a call back I had to go through the whole scenario AGAIN, being told by the support person "after conferring with my colleagues they say it will only work on the phone". I respectfully told him he was wrong, Apple confirms he's wrong. He said he'd contact Apple and give me a ring right back. Surprise, no ring back (gave up after 3 hours).

So im at the point I don't know what to do. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Apple Music subscription via Telstra only working on iPhone but not other devices with same Appl

I can finally confirm the issue is now resolved - I had to chat with support again to get the Apple Music subscription added (it was only removed previously) and now I can access it on multiple devices using my Apple ID.

So anyone with the same issue, persist.  Ask billing to remove the Apple Music subscription (thanks Matt!) and then re-add it.  It's now correctly associated my Apple ID with the service again and all is good.  Finally! 

Don't take the tier1 support people saying it will only work on the phone - that's complete garbage.

-David

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Apple Music subscription via Telstra only working on iPhone but not other devices with same Appl

Hi,

Are Telstra seriously going to say they are giving us a free year of Apple Music but it's only for the one device on contract with Telstra.  What use is that? 

I got referred to Apple to sort it out, but after reading the other CrowdSupport exchanges I could say that would just get my blood boiling

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi daveherbert,

Happy to help where I can. Can I confirm that you have check the 'My Account' section to check that the product is active through us & not direct from Apple, more info here https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/entertainment/apple-music/my-apple-music-subscription

Advice here too 12 Month Apple Music Offer FAQsApple Music FAQs

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Angela, it might be part of the issue, but my contract details on the 24x7 settings are for previous contract (iphone6plus which would have expired Oct 20). So the Apple Music subscription shown there is for previous contract. That Apple Music subscription expires March 2017. New Apple Music subscription (which I can't see) expires September 2017. Telstra support people assure me they can see that associated with my account, but I can't. It's a month since I recontracted to iphone7 and online the details are still wrong. I've got the first (correct) bill though.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Is the Apple ID the same? - Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Yep, definitely. As I mention, I'd been using my 12 month subscription with the iPhone6Plus since March 2016 on all devices using the one Apple ID.  When I got my shiny new iPhone7, that day, all the other devices prompted me to select (and pay) for a plan, even though I was using the same Apple ID on the phone (and other devices).  No amount of logging out, rebooting/resetting, reassociating ID again work.  

Apple Support indicated it should indeed work on other devices with the same Apple ID, and as far as they're concerned, there are no issues at their end.  My Telstra subscription isn't showing on my iTunes account but anecdotal evidence from other posts here indicate a carrier subscription isn't shown in your iTunes account.  Apple then bumped me back to Telstra saying it's a carrier subscription issue, probably not associating my Apple ID with the telstra subscription correctly.

-Dave

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

There are 2 different free trials, through Apple & through us. If you're trying to use the one from us you'll need to make sure there's not an Apple one linked to that phone, if there is you need to ask them to remove it.

You can check your subscription via 'My Account' here   http://tel.st/cpyn

Angela 

Highlighted

Hi Angela, there is no subscription through Apple at all. I've never had one, only through Telstra.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

If the issue persists it might be helpful to contact them to clarify 100% in case one was added without you realizing it -Angela 

Highlighted

Thanks, but I've already spoken to them (yesterday) after being shunted from Telstra support.  There's no subscription on their side at all which they have confirmed.  It's an issue with Telstra and the telstra subscription.  I can't remove or add the subscription in the 24x7 app - when I try to do so, I get an SMS to say it's pending, but then it doesn't get removed.  I believe this is because the account settings are still referring to my old plan.  I recontracted early before the old plan finished, with fees waived as a special deal for the iPhone7 release.  I'm only surmising this hangover of the old plan might be part of the issue?

To reiterate, Apple Music is working on the iPhone only. Using the same Apple ID I have used for years.  On all my devices. 

It *was* working in the months leading up to the day I recontracted (Sept 16 2016).  Now it is not working on all devices. That day, all the other devices, using the same Apple ID, now ask for subscription payment.

-Dave

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@daveherbert,

There is a possibility that the issue relates to the plan change and not being updated on the account just yet.

I know from my own experience that it took about a week (maybe a little more I honestly can't remember) for me to be able to access Apple Music on my iPad and Apple TV after signing up to the free offer from Telstra and the Carrier billing side of things.

I also know that when a new free trial is offered, the original offer is cancelled and reset so that the new offer can be provided.

This cancellation also removes the subscription from Appple Servers and re-adds it as we can't reset the offer without first removing it (an annoying system limitation)

It's a difficult issue to diagnose without your account details, but can I ask when it was that your new plan took effect?

- Matt

Highlighted

Hi deltaSquad, the new plan was activated sep 16th. Old plan was due to expire Oct 20, so early termination fees were waived.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks, and did you receive a new SMS activation link for the new Teslstra Apple Music offer? (sorry if I over looked that above)

If you received a new link, when was this activated? Same day?

- Matt

Highlighted

I didn't receive a new SMS link for activation, I was aware of the standard https://iTunes.applle.com/carrier so I used that..

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

This may be where the issue lies.
We should have sent message that links the free offer to your Apple ID. Using the above link (to my knowledge) sets up a separate subscription and you can't have 2 active at the same time.

You should be able to ask the billing guys to remove your current offer and "reset the offer counter" (their terminology) and then re-add the service.
This should then prompt a new SMS being forwarded to you.

- Matt

Highlighted

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a whirl, I'll quote your message to them. 😜

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Grab a reference number, I'd like to see what happens Smiley Happy

Let me know.

- Matt

Highlighted

Matt - INT 1-946716528641

Highlighted

12 hours later, no SMS and Apple Music no longer working on iPhone now..
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I can finally confirm the issue is now resolved - I had to chat with support again to get the Apple Music subscription added (it was only removed previously) and now I can access it on multiple devices using my Apple ID.

So anyone with the same issue, persist.  Ask billing to remove the Apple Music subscription (thanks Matt!) and then re-add it.  It's now correctly associated my Apple ID with the service again and all is good.  Finally! 

Don't take the tier1 support people saying it will only work on the phone - that's complete garbage.

-David

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@daveherbert

Woohoo!
Personally I think that the issue was a duplicate subscription on our servers resulting in an SMS link not being used.

Thanks heaps for bearing with us to resolve the problem. I'm glad this is working correctly now.

- Matt

Highlighted

@daveherbert wrote:

-David

I am having this same problem. I've been on the phone with billing and tech support for 30 minutes now and they're telling me it can't be fixed. I've tried to escalate to a supervisor but they're telling me I'll be charged for Apple music if they remove the offer and re-add it.  What can I do? Very frustrated.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi bmcm, 

Sorry that they're are telling you that you be charged for Apple music if they remove the offer and re-add it. That's not correct and please chat again to have this looked into. http://tel.st/49kl

Highlighted

I have tried to cancel my Apple Music subscription numerous times through the 24x7 app, as well as by speaking to Telstra Billing staff and it is still active!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello bishnoff, 

I would recommend speaking to our live chat link via  http://tel.st/49kl or contacting our team on 13 22 00 and they will be able to assist you in this matter. 

- Simone

Highlighted

I am having the same issue where I can only access apple music on my iphone 7 not my imac it says i need to sign up again through apple, is the correct way to fix this to call telstra get it removed and re added?

Highlighted

called telstra - first person told me imac is not compatible with apple music. 

second person said they would transfer me through and put me back to start of que. 

third person said they will get supervisor but put me back to the start and fourth person said they know nothing about apple music and suggested I call apple. 

This is a joke. 

How can it be a common problem dating back to 2015 and still no answers or easy fix

Highlighted

even on 24x7 chat being transferred through to different people
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi chrispavlic, 

If the Apple Music subscription is working for your Apple ID on the iPhone 7, then there is no reason that it should not work on any other device, as it's Apple ID specific. 

Do you have any other devices you are able to test it on? 

Highlighted

Hello, I've tried on my iPad and my iMac. Logged in with same Apple ID and I'm not connected.
I'm also now having trouble with keeping my iCloud music library on on my iPhone. I've tried resetting iPhone, erasing all content and settings, software update.
Apple are saying they cannot see my subscription and they have never heard of Telstra. Quite a frustrating process when dealing with two giant companies.

My Telstra

Activate Apple Music and get data free streaming with the My Telstra app.

Find out more