CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
bheaans
Level 3: Gumshoe

"Make Available Offline" not working with Telstra free Apple Music offer

Answered

I am having issues with my Telstra free Apple Music offer.

When I choose to "Make Available Offline", the songs will download but then they will automatically delete themseves after about one day. The cycle repeats every time I save the files for offline use.

Saving tracks for offline worked perfectly during my Apple Music 3 month trial, but stopped working as soon as I activated my Telstra free Apple Music offer. It seems others are experiencing the same issue too, check out the posts around page 8-9 of this thread: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2452979

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bheaans
Accepted Solution

Re: "Make Available Offline" not working with Telstra free Apple Music offer

For anyone having issues with offline music staying on your device, I would suggest lodging a TIO complaint if you aren't getting anywhere with Telstra support.

For the record, my TIO case was at level 2 and was initially lodged on 4th October after multiple calls and escalations to Telstra had gone ignored. Today my case manager contacted me and advised that Telstra have been in contact with Apple engineers and can't figure out a solution at all. I was advised that Telstra is revoking the Apple Music offer altogether and it will no longer be available on any plans (not sure how true this is at this point).

As compensation, I was credited $60 for excess data charges as a result of having to stream, $230 credit for the monthly plan charge (as I advised I would have gone with the 64GB iPhone 6S instead of the 128GB if Apple Music wasn't offered for free, reducing the plan cost by $10 per month), $120 for free data ($5 a month credit for the loss of the extra 500MB of data per month or half of the $10 excess blocks of 1GB), plus some additional excess data charges that I didn't really understand.

Total credit applied to my account: over $450

I should also make it clear that at no point did Telstra offer to pay for a subscription through Apple. I was very willing to cancel the entire contract without penalty and resubscribe to the $10 a month cheaper plan, and only then did they offer to credit the difference between the 64GB handset payments and the 128GB handset payments – hence the $10 a month rather than $11.99 per month.

It was probably a lot easier to offer a $230 credit than to credit off the entire cancellation fee and organise a return of handset. I'm now subscribed directly through Apple and my music is staying offline even after hard resets. Obviously I would have preferred they fix the offline song functionality but either way I am happy with the result.

Good luck everyone, I hope all of your issues get resolved ASAP!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
87 REPLIES 87
Support Team
Support Team

Hi bheaans, 

I've gone over the FAQ's and that's not something we're across. http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music-KB/Apple-Music-FAQs/ta-p/484653

As such I would suggest referring it to Apple tech, https://getsupport.apple.com/ maybe it's a limitation of the subscription type, or a recent fault 

Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

bheaans

Hi Angela,

I have contacted Apple support who referred me back to Telstra.

As I said above, I have no issues whatsoever using the offline functionality when subscribed to Apple Music through Apple - the issue only occurs when using the Telstra free Apple Music offer and therefore must be something to do with the Telstra subscription and Apple Music not communicating properly. 

When I go into my iTunes account under subscriptions, it shows my 3 month Apple Music trial as expired as of 4th October. Telstra support have advised me that this is normal and the Telstra Apple Music subscription will not show up there, as the subscription is through Telstra and not iTunes.

I know the free Apple Music offer is working because I have full access to the Apple Library dispite the subscription expiry, but there is something wrong with the way the Telstra subscription is configured that somehow deletes any offline songs on a daily basis. 

What is a customer supposed to do when a product is faulty between two collaborating companies and both put the blame back on the other?

Tris
Level 2: Rookie

I'm having the same issue but I have narrowed down the problem to my Telstra/Apple Music subscription not working across more than 1 mobile device.  As long as I dont sign in to Apple Music on my iPad, my offline downloads tend to stay.  But as soon as I try to access Apple Music on my iPad, my iTunes then tells me I'm no longer subscribed to Apple Music and then subsequently my offline downloads dissapear from my iPhone.

I then have to manually turn on Apple Music in my iTunes, then download all my playlists for offline listening.

Unbeleivably frustrating as neither Apple or Telstra can resolve the issue and they just bounce each other back and forth.

So I have a half-baked Apple Music subscription for free for the next 11 months, at which time Telstra will then start billing me $11.99pm - which it probably still wont work across all my devices, so as soon as the freebie is up, I'll be cancelling the Telstra offer and taking it up directly with Apple - because at least it works properly through them! :-/

Brisbear74

Also have this issue was told by Apple it was a Telstra issue 

ZMan82

All my offline music have disappeared again! They were there on my iPhone when I woke up and connected to home wifi. Once I left home, they're not there! This is the sixth time over the last 7 days. This also happens every other day on my MacBook.

There are obviously issues with Telstra's method of linking their free subscription to everyone's Apple ID. It is not working and it needs to be fixed. The Music app obviously checks the Apple ID subscription on a daily basis and Telstra's free offer obviously isn't showing up on Apple's end so that's why the downloaded music gets deleted.

I lodged a complaint on Telstra's complaint page and the case manager told me that disappearing offline music has nothing to do with them and offered me Apple's support number. Talk about passing the buck!!!

This clearly shows that:

1. Complaint case managers have no idea about the actual issues associated with the method of linkage between Telstra and our Apple ID.

2. They do not care about their customers' real problem. I outlined in my complaint the exact problems, and how I have attempted to resolve it and all they did was palm me off to Apple.

I urge everyone to read their rights regarding Telstra's inability to provide a service that they've promoted and promised, and the lost time and effort (and home internet and phone data charges) trying to resolve this.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/cancelling-a-service

If you have a major problem with a service or a minor problem that can't be fixed within a reasonable time you have the right to cancel a service contract, when it is:

• provided with an unacceptable level of care and skill
  • unfit for the purpose you asked for
  • not delivered within a reasonable time when there is no agreed end date.

Suppliers should give any refunds in the same form as your original payment. You can also ask for compensation for damages or loss caused by the problem.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ZMan82,

We are definitely taking these issues seriously and we have technicians investigating what is causing the issues.  

At the moment we don't have an ETA or any information on what is causing this.  We really appreciate your patience and will keep you updated as soon as we have new information.- Oliver

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

ZMan82

@OliT wrote:

Hi ZMan82,

We are definitely taking these issues seriously and we have technicians investigating what is causing the issues.  

At the moment we don't have an ETA or any information on what is causing this.  We really appreciate your patience and will keep you updated as soon as we have new information.- Oliver

Thanks OliT - But you need to convey this to all the Telstra moderators on here, as well as 24/7 chat consultants and complaints case managers as they are all giving confusing, misleading and contradicting advice to customers. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I'll definitely pass this feedback on to the rest of the team, sorry for any confusion - Oliver

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Dean_Calman

Hi Oliver,

Could someone please communicate the fact that this issue is under active investigation to my case manager? I have a complaint running and when I yesterday referred to the fact that there were multiple CrowdSupport threads regarding this matter he advised that he was not able to access "external" sites.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Seems strange that your case manager wasn't aware of it. Do you have a reference number that starts with SR so I can have a look? - Oliver

Dean_Calman

My reference number is SR-1-591422598264. I included links to both the whirlpool thread and the other large Crowdsupport thread about this issue. He said he couldn't access them when he called me yesterday.
hjfshkjfsdkhjsf

Hi Oliver,

Would you mind clarifying for us what your role is please (ie. are you a member of the engineering team who are actually looking into these technical issues, or are you a support advisor relaying information from another team etc)?

Also are you aware of the issues with the Telstra subscription linking with Apple IDs as discussed in this thread, and do you believe this could be part of the same issue? http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-Music/Apple-Music-Free-24month-subscription-not-register...

Thanks.

ZMan82

Hi Oliver - can you also look into my case as well? My case number is SR 1-591227507187. The case manager was adamant that Telstra can't solve my issue and I had to talk to Apple. The following is the summary email I got. I never told her that it's a problem with the app. I'm having issues with retaining my downloaded offline songs, which keep disappearing from both my iPhone and MacBook.

Should you need to follow up, your reference number is: INT 1-592331981967.

Here's a summary of what we've discussed, and the resolution offered:
>We have informed you that we cant refund you because Apple Music is offered for free, you are not being charged for it.
>We have contacted technical support who advised that if its a problem with the app itself, you need to contact Apple.
>We have offered you to be connected over to apple but you declined.
>We have set your expectations that Telstra doesn't have an access if its the problem with the app.

Unfortunately we haven’t been able to come to a mutually agreeable solution regarding your concerns today. We are confident that our investigation and proposed resolution are appropriate and therefore, I’m not able to do anything further to resolve this matter for you.

As you are not satisfied with the outcome, you may wish to pursue an external independent review with a body such as the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO).

Thanks again,
ANNE
Employee Number: D753581
Support Team
Support Team

Hi everyone,

This issue has been forwarded on and we are waiting to hear back about it.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

hjfshkjfsdkhjsf

Can you clarify who this issue has been forwarded onto please thedylan?
Brisbear74

I am over having to redownload my music every day, deleted my Telstra subscription and rejoined direct with apple. Fixed the problem 

midniteoz

Saying it has been escalated... and acknowledging the problem... are two different things.

One is just words.... one is that your actually doing somethings about it...

Has anyone reported this to the TIO or the ACCC?

ZMan82

"thedylan" - what is the update on "the issue has been forwarded on and we are waiting to hear back about it"?

Who was the issue forwarded to? What is the outcome?
bheaans

Yeah, I'm about 12 days into a TIO complaint. Still no resolution as of yet. Telstra actually called me on Friday and claimed it was an issue with Apple Music and has nothing to do with Telstra. 

Obviously this is not the case as the same issues do not occur when subscribing directly through Apple. Still waiting for them to investigate further.

Redrover72

I'm also in the same boat along with hundres of others. My Apple Music free trial expired (which was working perfectly, I could download for offline listening and also use across all my devices). I then activated the Telstra subscription. Now every couple of days I get a popup in iTunes saying "you are no longer subsribed to Apple Music, to resubscribe...etc As below. All my offline music is then deleted. I don't listen to Taylor Swift BTW!

IMG_1575.jpg

I would really appreciate that the front line support staff are trained that this is an issue. I just got bumped while I was being transferred to another section of support. The person I spoke to doesn't even seem to understand how apple music works

crw

Shouldn't the ad for the offer be taken down until you are actually offering what you are advertising? Becasue people are renewing and signing contracts due to it

Support Team
Support Team

Redrover72,

Can you please confirm a few things for me, to help us understand this better.

Did your 3 month Apple music trial via Apple run out?. If so, after it ran out, did you contact the Apple support team to ask for them to remove you from their billing records for this product?.

Is the Apple Music 12 month trial via us working?

Is the mobile number on your Telstra account where you added AM the same as t he mobile? 

Angela

Redrover72

Thanks for the reply Angela,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I allowed my three month Apple Music trial with Apple to expire as instructed by support staff prior to taking up the offer with Telstra. I am old and cynical enough that I suspected this would not go smoothly so tried to ensure I was well-prepared, to no avail obviously.

Auto renew with Apple was/is off. After it ran out I did not contact apple to "ask for them to remove me from their billings records". Not sure why I would even think to do that and and I certainly was not advised to do that at any point by Telstra staff.

2. The 24 (not 12) month trial I have via Telstra is not working correctly (as per my above post). I can stream music to the phone but offline content does not persist on the device and when I use my Mac, after a day or two I get the above posted subscription error. I believe it is at this point that the Apple service instructs my devices to delete offline content as it believes I do not have a valid subscription.

Telstra advertises Apple Music access as the full service, including the ability to use across devices (as this is what Apple Music does). Some of your staff seem confused and think it should only work on the phone alone. The T&C do not state this, it is advertised as Apple Music, not Apple Music 'lite'.

3. I have not changed my mobile no. It is the one I have had for about 15 years.
Cptrooper

I've decided to post on the Crowd support forums for the first time due to this issue!

I used up my 3 months apple music free trial without any issues. I was able to download and keep music for offline use without it deleting itself.

I bought a iPhone 6S on a 24 month plan which included free Apple Music. Since then, I am able to stream music, but whenever I download music for offline use, it will delete itselfs in a day or two. 

Please don't blame this issue on Apple. It was not an issue when my subscription wasn't linked through Telstra. 

Even if you want to blame Apple, then at least advocate for your customers and fix the problem with Apple yourself because this clearly isn't an isolated issue for a hand full of users. 

I hope something is being done about this. I see advertisements for free apple music from Telstra and laugh that you aren't even offering the product as advertised. 

Michael

Redrover72

I am no expert on these things but it is clear there is some authentication issue where the Apple servers are checking our subscription status every few days and then deciding that we do not have a current valid membership, it then instructs our iPhones, Macs, iPad etc to delete offline music and throws the error message. 

crw

Hey bheaans,

How are you going with your TIO complaint? Are you basing that complaint on Australian Consumer Law, or just false advertising? I told my case manager i wouldn't contact the TIO if he handles my issue well. But he is still denying Telstra has anything to do with the issue, and he is having to follow up NPF issues that case managers were supposed to do two weeks ago. I feel like I need to do a TIO complaint as Lawyers and Ombudsman seems to be the only thing Telstra cares about. I saw Gizmodo reporting on the last annual TIO stats so It does help to stand up and be counted in the number of complaints as well. Knowing how far Telstra seem willing to go to avoid a TIO complaint though, i think their complaint stats are probably a few thousand off. 

bheaans

Still waiting on an acceptable explanation or resolution from the TIO case management team.

The case will be escalated to Level 2 if no resolution is met by 5pm on 22nd October.

KatieLio
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi all,

I would like to clear up a few things regarding Apple Music.

1. Your Apple Music membership from Telstra is no different to one you would get from Apple Music. This means it can DEFINITELY be used on multiple devices. The only difference is that the billing is done via Telstra once you roll off your offer.

2. Apple Music has to be activated via your iPhone over the Telstra mobile network. It is not a gift card. You can activate your offer via MyAccount, or at your point of purchase. You will receive an sms with a link to itunes.apple.com/carrier that will cold start the app on your phone & validate your Apple Music membership.

3. Some customers are experiencing an issue with Apple Music & their AppleID once the 3 month Apple Music trial ended & they rolled on to their Apple Music offer from Telstra. Apple are currently working to resolve this issue. I will come back & update you guys once these issues are resolved. This includes

- Not being able to log in to your AppleID

- Loss off offline listening music

Please note: anyone who was experiencing the 'You AppleID is already in use with another membership' can you please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue? Please force close your app & type 'itunes.apple.com/carrier' into your phones web browser of the Telstra mobile network. 

Happy to take questions.

crw

That's great. Don't feel guity about any of this if you have followed your side of the contracts with telstra. This is what stuff like Australian Consumer Law was designed for. 

crw

But what is your front line call centre staff going to tell a customer if they ring up for the first time right now and complain about this issue? I feel like somwhere within Telstra you guys surely knew about this issue as much as the customers did. But for one reason or another, that information doesn't get to your front line staff and each customer is left doing "troubleshooting", or being palmed off to apple, both of which you clearly know are not the right thing to do, but i guess on a legal basis and a risk assessment it probably makes you the most money. 

KatieLio

Hi crw, 

The information can take time to disseminate through to all the support staff. We are currently working on this. Unfortunately it also takes some time to get through to all Apple support staff - so it's a double edged sword! We are aware that there have been some serious teething issues with regards to our cross company support flow & are working to ensure this is fixed for the future. 

crw

Yeah I appreaciate that KatieLio, that Telstra are a huge machine and something it not going to instantly get from one department to the rest. 

I'm just letting you know though, that the people whose only issue is this Apple Music one, are now no longer only frustrated by that somewhat minor issue, but now increasingly frustrated by the fact that other popular industry forums are making it clear that everyone is having to go though a full troubleshooting routine individually, and Telstra don't seem to be learning anything from that troubleshooting. It is simple to say to customers whose music is getting deleted. "Yes we are now aware of this issue and we are doing everything we can to work with Apple to fix this issue as quickly as possible. There is no current ETA, but we will email/sms you when this issue is resolved. We will extend your complimentary trial by a month so that you don't miss out on a full 12 months of complimeatry apple music". Or something like that. Good customer service is not hard, and you can do good customer service and still be dealing with the issues behind the scenes in the exact same way i would hope you are now. 

KatieLio

Thanks crw. Absolutely - it's one of the things I'm working on today (while answering social media posts haha)

crw

That's great and your job sounds like it would be fun. I'm sure you're better at it than me too. But I'll just suggest you take a proactive approach to the customer service issue so that unexpected technical issues down the track, can be handled well by frontline staff, once a lot of customers have done unsuccessful troubleshooting. 

KatieLio

Good plan CRW! 

Unfortunately my job isn't actually customer support - i'm the product manager - so we're trying to be as proactive as humanely possible! 

..And it is fun.. until something like this happens!

jamesk811

Great to hear something is being done as I was told today by tech support that I was on a "trial" and therefore was not receiving the full features of Apple Music as I was not s "premium" member. I'm so glad for forums like these as I did not believe a word the Telstra rep was saying.

I really hope compensation by way of extra data or more months added to the trial is coming our way to make up for this first month disaster.
Phusion8

We can clearly see our expired subscription from Apple when we enter our appleID and manage subscription. Apparently there's no way to get rid of that I've spoken with Apple for hours. Shame I'm pretty sure that would make life easier for everyone.
plzkthx
Level 1: Cadet

Can I just buy an Apple Music subsciption over the top and temporarily bypass the issues caused by the Telstra provided one until these issues are resolved?

OR

Can I temporarily remove the Telstra Apple Music add-on and add it back at a later date when it's actually usable whilst still retaining the remainder of the free trial?

I am not only experiencing the issue where all my offline music disappears but also having trouble even just playing songs added to "My Music" from Apple Music. None of these issues were present on the Apple 3 month trial and at this point I'd rather just pay Apple directly and have a usable service.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi plzthx I apologise I don't believe either of those are possible. We're aware of some troubles with some members accessing their subscription and we're working with Apple directly to resolve. For streaming issues etc we provide support here: Apple Music FAQs

Ltx15

Anyone tried these steps before?
*You will need the link that Telstra sent to you for Apple Music*

On your mobile devices:
1. Close your MUSIC apps (not even running on background)
2. Turn off wifi connection (only on Telstra mobile network)
3. Click on the link that Telstra sent you to verify your subscription.
-account will be verified as normal I supposed-

You can turn on your home wifi after doing step 1-3 or stay on Telstra mobile network if you prefer it that way Smiley Very Happy
Now .. try do the downloading music for offline use, it should be working properly by then. I got mine fixed that way. I hope that helps.
Ltx15

Sorry please ignore the above post.
The dloaded music didn't last very long.
Work well for the whole weekend and I just checked it, it's gone now Smiley Sad
No good!! Smiley Sad
sahill1971

Hey Ltx15 welcome to our world :-/ We have all been there... thought we finally got it right but then... GBzzzzz down the drain over night.
mjw60

I'm assuming we have no further update on a resolution to this?

If it is now acknowledged that this is a valid issue, maybe at the very least additional data could be provided to affected customers?

bheaans

Everyone at Telstra support just blames Apple. At this stage I've registered my complaint with the TIO, Consumer Affairs, and the ACCC. We'll see how that goes.

Everyone on the Whirlpool forum thread that has this issue and resubscribes directly through Apple has said this fixes the issue immediately. I find it absolutely appauling that even after all of this evidence and countless cases Telstra still feign ignorance and blame Apple.

What an absolute joke of a "free" service offer.

karlee1

Telstra's Apple music subscription is a nightmare!
I have been waiting for this issue to be brought to light. I have had the exact same problem since signing up to the free Telstra trial.

I have spent at least 30 hours trying to resolve this issue between Apple/Telstra.

Issues:

1. I spent 30GB of mobile data manually searching/adding over 2000 songs one by one to my 'offline library'. All appears ok but if you switch your phone off and on (or it goes flat) all the music has returned to unavailable offline and needs to be streamed over data or downloaded again.
2. When calling Apple to resolve the issue they asked me to change my Telstra subscription over to Apple. Bravo! This fixed the problem but I lost my entire music library and Apple don't offer the same free trial. Apple suggested to go back to the Telstra subscription. I followed this advice and spent hours and lots of data finding and downloading all the music again. Same issue. All the music disappeared from offline mode.
3. When adding music to my music the app is temperamental. It will download the song and then still not appear in my music. When going back to Apple music to select the song again it displays 'remove my my music'. But when searching in 'my music' it's still not appearing, to fix this you need to turn off the phone again
4. 'Offline only button' still displays music that is not available offline. So whilst you believe you are not using data you are! The only way to ensure you are only playing your offline songs is to switch off data/aeroplane mode.

Apple were incredibly helpful during this process trying to sort it out for me. I have many email follow ups trying to assist. They verified that the issues were very real and had received multiple complaints But we could not resolve the fault with Telstras subscription issues. Apple music subscription (non Telstra) works perfectly.
Unfortunately it's a difficult issue to explain to Telstra staff when the issue was not widely recognised.

I have downloaded my entire music library over and over and over song by song (spent so many wasted hours doing this) and have now resorted to streaming as the only option. I don't bother making music available offline because it uses my mobile data then disappears anyway. As far as I'm concerned Telstra can credit my data charges until they fix the issue.

If I wasn't going to lose my entire library again I'd cancel my Telstra subscription and go direct with Apple as the drama this has caused has cost more in time and mobile data than the $120 12 month subscription.
sahill1971

Same issue here. A bunch of us thought it was finally resolved on Thursday but no... I have again lost the offline music. So over it. Telstra need not think under any circumstances that I would let it be middle man collector for Apple. This has neither been free nor a service.
What's more...Spotify has a better selection anyway.
SilverTristan

Hi Telstra,

I am having the same issue and it is really frustrating. Everytime I want to listen to the tunes I've 'Made Available Offline' they're gone. I'd like to be kept in the loop with this issue and to let you guys know more people are having the same issue.. Cheers.

mjw60

I thought the issue had been fixed with the latest ios update. However once the phone was switched off everying that had been "available offline" was now not.

It would be nice to see an acknowledgement somewhere from Telstra regaridng the issue and advising what if anything they are doing to rectify the situation and their proposal for restitution to all those so far affected by the issue.

SilverTristan

Hey all,

I spoke with an Apple employee who is working with Telstra to look at this issue. Wait and see what happens with this...Finger crossed.

Personally I think it has something to do with when you go to Manage My Subscriptions in itunes it doesn't have an active Apple Music account as it's a bolt on from Telstra. It still says it's expired from the free Apple trial (Sept 30). Although on my Macbook Pro in itunes the music I have made Available Offine is still there and hasn't dissappeared.

I tried one idea. I made a song available offline and then switched off my phone. Surprise it was gone once I turned it back on. It must have something to do with the phone checking the validity of the Apple Music service and if it doesn't see it straight away from Apple then it deletes the songs. Again my Telstra bolt on service to Apple Music Theory. It's only happening on the phone.

What frustrates me the most is under the trial I loved Apple Music. It worked fine. Now... :-/

iPhone 6s - 128GB

iOS 9.1

Telstra

Telstra 24x7®

Activate Apple Music and get data free streaming with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now