Elle
Level 1: Cadet

3G connection not working on iPhone 4S (IOS6)

Hi,

I have an iphone 4S and never had any issues with 3G connection through Telstra.

I did IOS6 upgrade on the 20th September.

This morning, my 3G connection seems to not be working at all.

If i try to use safari, it shows 'Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding'

If i try to update my emails, facebook or twitter, it just keep loadong or connecting but nothing happens.

It works ok through wi-fi.

I called 132200 and i was re-directed to the technical support, after 3 minutes on hold (listening to background music), someone kind of pick up the call and just left on hold (no music). I waited for 6 minutes but i wasnt sure if i was on the queue or not. The call was not hang up but it felt like no one would pick it up. So i hang up.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Mitcho1989
Level 11: Detective

Re: 3G connection not working on iPhone 4S (IOS6)

Try resetting your network settings on the phone. To do this, go to:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

It will ask you to confirm, and then will refresh the settings, and fingers crossed it will be working.

Failing that, turn the phone off for a bit and back on, and if that still doesn't work, you may have to do a backup and restore in iTunes, but that would be a last resort so I'd call technical support again and keep trying until you get someone to see if they can see any issue with access codes on your account, before doing so.

Hope this helps!
jamesbrock

Hi Elle,

Firstly, you're not the only one experiencing this issue, and Telstra should be well aware of it by now, and should be taking proactivce steps to recitfy it with affected clients. Unfirtunately, despite their rhetoric, they will not.

Look here for evidence of other affected users: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1983175

I am also experiencing this issue with two pre-paid iPhones (a 4S & a 4), and can confirm that this issue is random and intermittent. Restarting the iPhone will not fix the issue, resetting network settings will not fix the issue, removing and replacing the SIM will not fix the issue, changing the APN will not fix the issue, and restoring your phone will not fix the issue. Some or all of those actions may look like they fix the issue, but due to the intermittent and random nature of the problem, it will return.

You did the right thing by calling technical support, as Mitcho1989's suggestion that your access codes on your account might be the issue is correct; however, you have to be lucky to get someone who underdtands your problem. As discussed in the above link, I have called and told the operator what my issue was - and the fix - and was told that she'd fixed it, but it recurred.

I have just finished a chat session with technical support, which dropped out just after I told her the issues and gave her my numbers, and it appears to be fixed... Fingers crossed.

Call them back and persevere, they can fix it.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Sigh, there is no evidence that this is purely a network issue. Please perform the basic steps because, if you like it or not, they fix about 90% of issues.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

srh76

I realise this is an old thread but I'd thought I'd add my two cents. My dad has a 4s and he'd sometimes experience a problem where someone would try to call him and the caller would get a ring tone but he'd be unaware that they were calling. No ring, no alert of a missed call, nothing. I told him to ensure he had no apps running in the background and it seemed to work. Over the Christmas period just gone, the same problem occurred, but this time it included not being able to access the internet via 3G. I talked him through all the usual remedies, reset network setting etc. nothing worked. Calls were terrible and still no internet. I then found a fix for him and it was something you'd least expect. Simply turn on airplane mode for a few seconds, then turn it off. VOILA! all worked faultlessly. Worth a try anyway.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now