CrowdSupport®
Ashandally
Level 1: Cadet

4G reception issues in Elliston SA

Answered

Hello,

We live in Elliston on South Australia's west coast. Some 4 weeks ago Telstra held a community BBQ in town to celebrate the launch of the new 4G upgrade. Unfortunately the upgrade seems to have capacity issues as not all townsfolk with Telstra accounts have access to the new network and are still only receiving 3G.

Before this is dismissed as a compatability issue let me explain further the issue.

In our household we have two mobiles, my wife's has from the time of the upgrade received 4G with no issues and resets whenever we come back from out of town where 3G reception is the default.

My phone has 4G enabled but will not receive it whilst in Elliston and only picks up 3G. When we travel to Cummins, some 100 kilometres away my phone picks up their 4G network automatically, and the same occurs when we travel to Port Lincoln or Adelaide.

This odd occurrence is not isolated to just ourselves, the same is occurring with quite a few other locals.

The Optus 4G Elliston network doesn't display the same issue so what I would like to know is, is the Telstra 4G network as it currently is in Elliston as good as it will get or are there some final upgrades occurring that will bring the entire town's Telsta users with 4G compatable phones onto the 4G network?

Would appreciate a response on the issue from relevant Telstra personnel.

Regards, Lindsay and Monika Servin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: 4G reception issues in Elliston SA

@Ashandally

Great, thank you Smiley Happy

There will definitely be a compatibility problem that you're experiencing.

The iPhone 5S does not support the 4G700 Network (we call this 4GX) that is available in Elliston - whereas the iPhone 6 does.
What the iPhone 5S does support is the 4G1800 Network (regular 4G), which would be available in larger populated areas such as major cities and towns (along with some other small locations)

This will also be why you can only get 3G in the area, while your Wife is able to connect to 4G.

I hope that helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Ashandally

Are you able to tell me which mobile phones you use?

Unless I've read this wrong, you mention that your wife has no issues, but you do?

If that's the case, it could be a compatibility issue.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Ashandally

My phone is S5 and my wife's is a 6. if its a capability issue on my S5, then why does it pick up 4G in Adelaide with no issue?

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

4G can be done over several different bands. In areas of Adelaide and other city locations, it is common to have multiple bands in the area, whereas in more regional areas it is often one or maybe two. So if your phone has more limited bands it may work in some 4G areas but not others.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Ashandally

I'd like to clarify your phones please.
Working in Tech Support, and phone model names being so similar across manufacturers, it's common for some to get the letters and numbers around the wrong way.

As an example, I've heard people call their iPhone 5S an S5, so I'd like to be sure I have the right information from you.

When you say that you use an S5 - is that a Samsung Galaxy S5?

And your wife uses a 6 - specifically which? Samsung Galaxy S6, iPhone 6?

Ashandally

Apologies for not getting right, they are both IPhones, mine is a 5S and my wife's is a 6

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@Ashandally

Great, thank you Smiley Happy

There will definitely be a compatibility problem that you're experiencing.

The iPhone 5S does not support the 4G700 Network (we call this 4GX) that is available in Elliston - whereas the iPhone 6 does.
What the iPhone 5S does support is the 4G1800 Network (regular 4G), which would be available in larger populated areas such as major cities and towns (along with some other small locations)

This will also be why you can only get 3G in the area, while your Wife is able to connect to 4G.

I hope that helps.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for iOS

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now